Sign in to follow this  
durieux

737NGX Clock behavior on power down

Hello -

This is the most minute of minutiae, but the 737NGX is so beautifully modeled that anything I can't duplicate from the FCOM makes me think I'm doing something wrong. So here is my question:

According to page 10.21.16 of FCOM2: 

"Each clock is powered by the hot battery bus when the battery bus is not available. The clock reverts to hot battery bus power when the airplane is powered down. The hot battery bus power keeps the time base but does not provide power for the display or output of clock data and the clock reverts to manual mode. When the airplane is powered up and Global Position System (GPS) data is restored, the clock continues to operate in manual mode and will not automatically display UTC time. UTC time can be manually selected by using the TIME/DATE pushbutton." (bold by me)

I can't duplicate this. When I power down the plane and shut down the battery, the clock blanks as expected. But when I power it back up, the clock comes right back in UTC, not in manual, as the manual states. Is the clock not GPS-enabled? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks for reading.

Marcel Durieux

Since the clock uses the simulator time there isn't really any such thing as true UTC time since simulator and clock derived from GPS is essentially the same.  I guess you could ask for clock errors to accrue when in the manual mode but that's not included in this product.

Dan Downs KCRP

It's just that the clock should revert to manual mode when the power goes down (even if that does not result in an error). It doesn't seem to do that. No big deal, for sure, but I was just wondering.

Marcel Durieux

19 hours ago, durieux said:

It's just that the clock should revert to manual mode when the power goes down (even if that does not result in an error). It doesn't seem to do that. No big deal, for sure, but I was just wondering.

Marcel Durieux

No big deal but still most likely a valid point.  I recommend you submit this on a trouble ticket.  PMDG is keeping a long list of things to do or to fix for the NGX and there is no reason this shouldn't be included.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks. Good idea. I have submitted a ticket, and they'll pass it on to the technical team.

Marcel Durieux