Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

Why can't Carenado model turboprop start up properly?

The PC12 likes to jump off the line both in FSX and in P3D at start up, regardless of whether or not the props are feathered or not (even though you can't feather the PC12 IRL anyway). I used to think this was a limitation in FSX until I moved to P3D v4 and it's still a problem, so it must be with Carenado. Why can't Carenado figure out how to model a turboprop start up sequence correctly?

Agree, the folks at Flysimware with their MU-2 did a pretty good job of modeling a turboprop, so it can be done!

Cheers

Martin

6 hours ago, Lon Duncombe said:

They can do it, they just can't be bothered, too busy getting the next turkey ready for sale.

You have no idea what you are talking about.  If you want to get the startup correct you need to use techniques that are outside of the FSX P3D, e.g. hacking the FSX system and that's what Carenado/Alabeo can't do. 

Btw, didn't know that they ever released an F-14  :P

On 10/10/2017 at 2:01 PM, el_kab0ng said:

The PC12 likes to jump off the line both in FSX and in P3D at start up, regardless of whether or not the props are feathered or not (even though you can't feather the PC12 IRL anyway). I used to think this was a limitation in FSX until I moved to P3D v4 and it's still a problem, so it must be with Carenado. Why can't Carenado figure out how to model a turboprop start up sequence correctly?

dont put mixture to full on start

Indeed, but you don't have a mixture lever in a turboprop. The condition lever is the the righthand lever and needs to moved from cut off to ground idle after 13%N1 has been reached, to avoid a hot start. No more than ground idle...

A

Carenado/Alabeo rely upon the stock MicroSoft flight sim engine for all systems modeling.  Engine starts that are close to real world, as well as fuel system and electrical system management, are possible, but it requires custom coding.  Basically, Carenado/Alabeo aircraft are stock MS systems with a very pretty wrapper.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

23 minutes ago, stans said:

Carenado/Alabeo rely upon the stock MicroSoft flight sim engine for all systems modeling.  Engine starts that are close to real world, as well as fuel system and electrical system management, are possible, but it requires custom coding.  Basically, Carenado/Alabeo aircraft are stock MS systems with a very pretty wrapper.

Yep.  Even Rob at RealAir struggled with what he described as P3D's 'borked' Turboprop model.  I hope that, someday, LM makes a new TurboProp model that works better. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

On 11/3/2017 at 2:11 AM, aentwis said:

Indeed, but you don't have a mixture lever in a turboprop. The condition lever is the the righthand lever and needs to moved from cut off to ground idle after 13%N1 has been reached, to avoid a hot start. No more than ground idle...

A

I meant Condition of course

I think the FADEC-style startup and running of the PW150s on the Q400 are pretty realistic... It is doable, but outside the P3D/FSX workings

A