Sign in to follow this  
MrSpeaker

Hard time understanding modular updates

For now I just updated the client to 4.1. But if I wanted to update the content is it the same procedure. Uninstall from control panel and run the content MSI. What would I have to reinstall in my sim. Would I have to install my pmdg and or scenery again? It is confusing. I'm just dreading having to mess around with installing all my add-ons again everytime a new version is released. 

13 minutes ago, MrSpeaker said:

For now I just updated the client to 4.1. But if I wanted to update the content is it the same procedure. Uninstall from control panel and run the content MSI. What would I have to reinstall in my sim. Would I have to install my pmdg and or scenery again? It is confusing. I'm just dreading having to mess around with installing all my add-ons again everytime a new version is released. 

you need to do content as well

14ppkc-6.png

59 minutes ago, MrSpeaker said:

You don't have to reinstall any of your addons, except to update the ones that are not compatible with P3Dv4.1. In this case, it's convenient to update both the Client and the Content modules (this last one to allow for some additional effects to show up in default vehicles).

Hope this helps!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

40 minutes ago, MrSpeaker said:

The recommendation from LM was just to do the client

where does it say that ?

14ppkc-6.png

LM has stated several times that incremental updates can be done by just updating the Client. It's been that way since late 3.x days. I would imagine Poppet's update tutorial states it as well.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Just update the client only. It would take you 1 minute and you don't need to reinstall any of your addons. Everything will work right away.

You don't need to reinstall content if you are not using default vehicles.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

IF you update Content it will delete/reinstall the Effects library, meaning that EVERY add-on that has written files to that library, has to be reinstalled.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

16 minutes ago, JJJackson said:

IF you update Content it will delete/reinstall the Effects library, meaning that EVERY add-on that has written files to that library, has to be reinstalled.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Copy/save the effects folder, apply the update, copy back the effects folder?

I was a little bit too fast here. Made a new test and it looks that update of the Content seems to delete/update ONLY LM-files. My PMDG, Aerosoft, +++ files were all there in the new updated Effects. BUT as you say, it´s allways wise to make backups BEFORE updates. 

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Not a fan of this update process.  WHY can't there just be an exe file that updates the product completely without deleting all the hard work that you've already done in the sim.  It would not appear to be that difficult, but of course, I don't know anything about this to any great extent, and I could be probably wrong.

I ended up uninstalling v4 and redoing the whole thing.  Spent all day downloading ORBX stuff and some planes.  Got about 2 more days of re-installing, but that's the price I am willing to pay.

Stan

Stan - that's the way it USED to be. Are you prepared ( no pun intended) to reinstall EVERYTHING for every minor update? The modular method makes it a no brainer but some people make it tougher than it is.

The client is basically the control module of P3D

The content is basically the aircraft and effects etc

The scenery is...well, the scenery.

To just get it to run you need to ONLY update the client which takes about 5 minutes

if there are any special effects or modified aircraft - update the content

and scenery is scenery.

Much simpler.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

So my question is: Why is it so hard for LM to implement auto update feature, as X-Plane 11 has?