Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

v4.1 Content Update - What will it break?

I've updated to P3D v4.1 using the client only.  I've only updated anything else in the past through full reinstalls.  I'm giving some fairly serious though to doing a content update with 4.1.  I'm primarily interested in the rain effects for default aircraft and fixing the F-16 speedbrakes. I was hoping that I could find some comments on what add-ons I should expect to have to reinstall.  I've listed my add-ons below and they've all been installed by "default" (i.e., default location in P3D folder struction, only using the add-on.xml method if the installer was built with it).

PMDG 737, 747, 777
FS2Crew for the 737
Orbx OpenLC, Global, Vector
Orbx aiports
FSDreamteam Airports
FSDreamteam GSX
Flightbeam Airports
FlyTamap Aiports (including older ones like MDW and BUF that needed patches)
Tongass Fjords (Manual Install)
Black Marble Vector/Base/Bridges
Milviz F-4, Huey, Sabre, Corsair
Aerosoft CRJ-7/900
Active Sky and Cloud Art
A2A C182
GTN 650/750
DD Washington X and Moscow X
LatinVFR RDU
Turbulent Designs KMBS
Some Photoreal Scenery for Hawaii
REX Texture Direct

From the experts, what does it look like on this list? From my reading, it sounds like Orbx Global and needing to "reinject" the textures for REX Texture Direct?

Eric Szczesniak

14 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

I've updated to P3D v4.1 using the client only.  I've only updated anything else in the past through full reinstalls.  I'm giving some fairly serious though to doing a content update with 4.1.  I'm primarily interested in the rain effects for default aircraft and fixing the F-16 speedbrakes. I was hoping that I could find some comments on what add-ons I should expect to have to reinstall.  I've listed my add-ons below and they've all been installed by "default" (i.e., default location in P3D folder struction, only using the add-on.xml method if the installer was built with it).

PMDG 737, 747, 777
FS2Crew for the 737
Orbx OpenLC, Global, Vector
Orbx aiports
FSDreamteam Airports
FSDreamteam GSX
Flightbeam Airports
FlyTamap Aiports (including older ones like MDW and BUF that needed patches)
Tongass Fjords (Manual Install)
Black Marble Vector/Base/Bridges
Milviz F-4, Huey, Sabre, Corsair
Aerosoft CRJ-7/900
Active Sky and Cloud Art
A2A C182
GTN 650/750
DD Washington X and Moscow X
LatinVFR RDU
Turbulent Designs KMBS
Some Photoreal Scenery for Hawaii
REX Texture Direct

From the experts, what does it look like on this list? From my reading, it sounds like Orbx Global and needing to "reinject" the textures for REX Texture Direct?

I just did it, so based on experience:

PMDG 737, 747, 777  NO
FS2Crew for the 737  NO
Orbx Global NO
Orbx aiports NO
FSDreamteam Airports Not sure but my Flytampa, Aerosoft and UK2000 airports are intact.
FSDreamteam GSX NO
Flightbeam Airports See Above
FlyTamap Aiports (including older ones like MDW and BUF that needed patches) NO, see above
Tongass Fjords (Manual Install) UNKNOWN
Black Marble Vector/Base/Bridges UNKNOWN
Milviz F-4, Huey, Sabre, Corsair UNKNOWN
Aerosoft CRJ-7/900 UNKNOWN, I SUSPECT NO AS PMDG 737NGX WAS FINE
Active Sky and Cloud Art NO, JUST UPGRADE
A2A C182 I SUSPECT NO AS PMDG 737NGX WAS FINE
GTN 650/750 NO, you just run the F1Update tool, however I discovered a bug with planes using the GTN 750 which will cause CTD if you load the a plane with the GTN750 and then change to another plane.
DD Washington X and Moscow X Unknown, I suspect no as most of my payware airports are fine.
LatinVFR RDU see above
Turbulent Designs KMBS see above
Some Photoreal Scenery for Hawaii see above
REX Texture Direct, Unknown, however I know how REX works, it overrides the default textures, if their latest version uses the .XML method it should be ok.

Hope this helps,

Simbol

Another question: I sadly have some of my AI traffic models in the standard SimObjects folder. If I update the content, will this folder be gone and restored? Or does it simply overwrite the standard planes without touching manually added folders to the SimObject folder? Anyone knows this?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

16 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Another question: I sadly have some of my AI traffic models in the standard SimObjects folder. If I update the content, will this folder be gone and restored? Or does it simply overwrite the standard planes without touching manually added folders to the SimObject folder? Anyone knows this?

I suggest you make a backup first, but I believe it would override only your default SimObject planes since I didn't have to reinstall my carenado and pmdg planes.

Be aware your default effects will be replaced, remember you adjusted some of your planes strobe lights names inside your aircraft.cfg to use the default strobe effects instead the AI Lights Reborn free edition strobes so you might need to do this again if you install the content update.

Yes I know I have a good memory :happy:

All the best 

Simbol 

Ok, thanks for clarification and the heads up regarding the lights. I was not aware of this anymore, thank you for your memory ;-) But: as I simply renamed the default strobe fx files to "strobeh_default.fx" and adjusted the aircraft.cfg's accordingly, I assume that those files will not be deleted when updating the content, no?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

2 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Ok, thanks for clarification and the heads up regarding the lights. I was not aware of this anymore, thank you for your memory ;-) But: as I simply renamed the default strobe fx files to "strobeh_default.fx" and adjusted the aircraft.cfg's accordingly, I assume that those files will not be deleted when updating the content, no?

Correct It shouldn't, but you can make a nice backup just in case :cool:

S.

Complaints on the A2A forum about 4.1 producing nosewheel steering problems on some aircraft. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310