Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

SDK Expansion for 4.1

Can any of the devs comment as to what the SDK enhancements would make possible now that wasn't possible before.

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

Can any of the devs comment as to what the SDK enhancements would make possible now that wasn't possible before.

For anyone interested in the new VC rain effects, I flushed out more info from Prepard3D in their oficial forums:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6311&t=127001

This means Aircraft Developers have now the power to create their own rain effects and attach them to their planes VC using 3DS, what the future holds? it will depend of each individual Aircraft Developer, but I can easily see Aerosoft, Carenado, PMDG,etc. implementing their own scripts / rain effects..

Can the current default VC rain effect being improved? ABSOLUTELY!! it can be done as good or better to "TrueGlass", it just requires dedication and time :wink:.

Best Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 3

Still waiting to see a video of the VC rain effects in 4.1. I have v3 still. People imply it's not great but i am easily pleased. Can't find any videos on YouTube yet demoing the effect. I would have thought people would be posting a lot about it since it was so anticipated  (even if it's only for default aircraft)

If the approach is the same as what was used in the P3d V4.0 stock Mooney Bravo, it utilizes dynamic texture sheets for the windscreen and side windows. This method is the same as what is used in the RealAir Turbine Duke V2. Now this approach appears to be incorporated into the V4.1 SDK.

Is it as realistic as the TFDi rain effect? Probably not. But it's still pretty good IMO.

6 minutes ago, sanh said:

Still waiting to see a video of the VC rain effects in 4.1. I have v3 still. People imply it's not great but i am easily pleased. Can't find any videos on YouTube yet demoing the effect. I would have thought people would be posting a lot about it since it was so anticipated  (even if it's only for default aircraft)

There was a video posted here on AVSIM, here is the link https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/521610-41-release-notes/?page=8

Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jabloomf1230 said:

If the approach is the same as what was used in the P3d V4.0 stock Mooney Bravo, it utilizes dynamic texture sheets for the windscreen and side windows. This method is the same as what is used in the RealAir Turbine Duke V2. Now this approach appears to be incorporated into the V4.1 SDK.

Is it as realistic as the TFDi rain effect? Probably not. But it's still pretty good IMO.

LM Software Engineers confirmed you can create more advance effects and attach it to your Aircraft Model accordingly, so developers have the potential to make rain effects as real the TFDi rain effects or better.

Regards,
Simbol

Are you saying that the V4.1 SDK automates the coding of rain drops as particles, in other words with physics? 

Just now, jabloomf1230 said:

Are you saying that the V4.1 SDK automates the coding of rain drops as particles, in other words with physics? 

You haven't followed my original post? here are the steps with the new SDK : https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/modeling/3ds_max/modeling/new_aircraft_procedures.html#WindshieldEffects

Now software Engineers from LM told me directly on their oficial forums that we can create our own rain scripts with more advance effects, etc. and attach them with the method above.

Do you see the potential now?:wink:

Regards,
Simbol

This all sounds great but this also means it will mainly be seen in aircraft not developed yet while already existing aircraft such as the NGX will miss out on these new and exciting effects. Correct?

And what about the rain effect in itself seen in spot view or when you look out through the cockpit windows. Any chance for an improvement there as well?

Would be really nice getting rid of the current rain that looks more like snow but I remember someone saying he might be able to come up with a solution to that if it wasn't improved in 4.1 😉

Richard Åsberg

5 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

This all sounds great but this also means it will mainly be seen in aircraft not developed yet while already existing aircraft such as the NGX will miss out on these new and exciting stuff. Correct? 

And what about the rain effect in itself seen in spot view or when you look out through the cockpit windows. Any chance for an improvement there as well?

Would be really nice getting rid of the current rain that looks more like snow but I remember someone saying he might be able to come up with a solution to that if it wasn't improved in 4.1 😉

No, you misunderstand, let me try with examples:

1) PMDG have the original 3DS files for their planes, they only need to edit them as instructed by the V4.1 SDK (it takes less than 30 min), recompile the plane and voila VC rain is now available.

2) PMDG could create special scripts, materials and textures attach them as above and voila improved VC rain effects like TFDi.

Regarding the external rain, those are textures and effects too but independent of the aircraft model, you are supposed to go to ENVTEX and if you are still unhappy then let me know :happy:

Regards 

Simbol 

As for the effect in the PMDG aircraft I won't hold my breath they will decide to invest any of their time into updating the NGX only to give it VC rain but I do hope I'm wrong.

As for ENVTEX you're right...that was the deal :biggrin: So here's me waiting for the guys over at TOGA to come up with something really good in this regard in next version! Hopefully it won't be too far off now that 4.1 has been released.

Richard Åsberg

5 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

As for the effect in the PMDG aircraft I won't hold my breath they will decide to invest any of their time into updating the NGX only to give it VC rain but I do hope I'm wrong.

As for ENVTEX you're right...that was the deal :biggrin: So here's me waiting for the guys over at TOGA to come up with something really good in this regard in next version! Hopefully it won't be too far off now that 4.1 has been released.

Rumor mill is possibly saying they are gonna update the NGX, possibly to MAX? But at least bring over some of the new features that the 747 V3 and even the 777 had. 

18 minutes ago, 787WannabePilot said:

Rumor mill is possibly saying they are gonna update the NGX, possibly to MAX? But at least bring over some of the new features that the 747 V3 and even the 777 had. 

That would be awesome!

I do hope it will turn out to be true and won't be a couple of years off.

Richard Åsberg