Sign in to follow this  
MarkN1232

I hate this

14 hours ago, Mitch24 said:

1: Download the Full P3D V4.1 (it will take awhile)

2: While that is downloading, uninstall P3D V4 client and content

3: When 4.1 is finished, install JUST the client

4: After client is installed, install content. 

5: Done!

This is bad advice. No need to download the entire 4.1.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

If you have addon scenery added the old method you need to backup your scenery.cfg file as well.

This update process dropped on us by LM is pretty average at best. Completely forgetting that older addons exist and function well leave US to write XML code to enable them and god knows what happens with files inserted in scenery folders etc.

While LM marches on leaving developers and the community behind.

Thanks for nothing LM.

Meanwhile over in Xplane land 11.10 Beta updated pushing ONE button.

• Upvote 1

Darren Howie

42 minutes ago, DEHowie said:

Meanwhile over in Xplane land 11.10 Beta updated pushing ONE button.

Kind of like flying an Airbus.

Not everyone likes Airbus.

• Upvote 1

Of course, if you ever need to install the full v4.1... and you didn't download it yet... you'll have to... so now... later... dunno why one wouldn't do it now.

• Upvote 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I downloaded the whole package, uninstalled aLL OF 4.0, installed 4.1 in full.

All of my addons were still there, all of my scenery was still there, only had to reinstall some of the 4.1 updated such as FSUIPC, ASP4 and GTN.

That's how LM intended it, and they got it spot on - this update has been the least hassle ever :D

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

22 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

All of my addons were still there, all of my scenery was still there, only had to reinstall some of the 4.1 updated such as FSUIPC, ASP4 and GTN.

That's how LM intended it, and they got it spot on - this update has been the least hassle ever :D

Precisely how I did it, Kevin.

Will PM you re: Earth Sim for this platform.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Same here.  Not sure why all the confusion exists.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Kevin, genuine question: does this mean that all your scenery was installed using the addon.xml method?

That method is great and I absolutely install all the scenery I'm putting in manually with it. But a clear majority of the payware scenery I have is NOT using that method to install. So I absolutely expect that all of that will get wiped out by updating the way you and others are talking about. Right?

Unless I'm missing something (in which case please tell me!), there seems to be this disconnect where some are worried about a lengthy and cumbersome updating process, and others chime in, seemingly genuinely mystified because "it's so easy." But it seems like it in reality it can be really easy, or really hard, depending on what you've got installed. So in a sense everyone's right...

James

Just now, honanhal said:

Kevin, genuine question: does this mean that all your scenery was installed using the addon.xml method?

That method is great and I absolutely install all the scenery I'm putting in manually with it. But a clear majority of the payware scenery I have is NOT using that method to install. So I absolutely expect that all of that will get wiped out by updating the way you and others are talking about. Right?

Unless I'm missing something (in which case please tell me!), there seems to be this disconnect where some are worried about a lengthy and cumbersome updating process, and others chime in, seemingly genuinely mystified because "it's so easy." But it seems like it in reality it can be really easy, or really hard, depending on what you've got installed. So in a sense everyone's right...

James

No my original scenery.cfg was not deleted by uninstalling 4.0, nor was it apparently overwritten by the installation of 4.1.  All scenery, both add-on xml and scenery.cfg based lived on in 4.1, for me at least.  I was expecting to have to re-install the scenery.cfg based ones (or at least backup and replace my scenery.cfg file, but neither were necessary.

Similarly, all my previous 4.0 settings were carried over and remained unchanged in 4.1.

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

4 hours ago, DEHowie said:

Completely forgetting that older addons exist and function well leave US to write XML code to enable them and god knows what happens with files inserted in scenery folders etc.

Completely wrong. Point.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

15 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

No my original scenery.cfg was not deleted by uninstalling 4.0, nor was it apparently overwritten by the installation of 4.1.  All scenery, both add-on xml and scenery.cfg based lived on in 4.1, for me at least.  I was expecting to have to re-install the scenery.cfg based ones (or at least backup and replace my scenery.cfg file, but neither were necessary.

Similarly, all my previous 4.0 settings were carried over and remained unchanged in 4.1.

Huh. Well that is surprising, and really good news. Thanks!

James

24 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Thanks for this feedback.  I was really concerned about this since this is my first P3D update.  Their web site is so confusing...I think LM just needs to link here for upgrade advice and support.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

Does the SDK need to be updated also?  I don't use per 'se, but I thought some add-ons depend on the client being installed.  Maybe I am thinking about scenery creation stuff...thinking out loud.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

it might be easy (apparently) but it is "confusing" too. 

Kevin, do you mean even the add-on aircraft was there too, after the re-install? Matt was saying it was all good unless you uninstall the main p3d version you have. But I assume you have uninstalled even that?

Ahmet Can

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

Is this your recommended method for those who have FTXG & LC installed?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.