Sign in to follow this  
Guest kuma

Trying to get back to flying!

Guest Jared81

I have been out of flying for a little over 2 years. I really want to get back into flying just for fun. I was going to make a career out of it but money got in the way. I got through my PPL and INST rating but I have not done any flying since Oct. 2003. What would I need to do to get current on everything. I think that if I was able to get a current medical done and find a airplane that I could be flying as early as the next day, but I would have to do 3 t/o and landings at night to be legal to carry passengers, correct? If someone could also refresh my memory about what I need to get flying INST also I would appreciate it. thanks so much for your answers.

Guest BobLee

Yes, you would need a current medical, but its a lot more than just three takeoff and landings. You would need a BFR, which in your case would probably take several sessions before a CFI would sign you off. You would also need an IPC to get back to IFR currency, but that would also take a several sessions with a CFII. Its one thing to be legal, but more important to be safe. Good luck.

Guest jrewing

I'm assuming you are a U.S.-certificated pilot. If your medical certificate was issued before you reached your 40th birthday, it will be valid as a 3rd class certificate until October 31, 2006. Otherwise, it will be valid until Oct 31 of this year. This assumes you have not developed any disqualifying medical conditions or are taking any medications not approved by the FAA.You'll need to complete a flight review, per 14 CFR 61.56, with an authorized instructor covering a minimum of 1 hour of ground and 1 hour of flight. If you've been out of flying for more than a year, you can expect it will take more time in the air. Once you have completed the review, the instructor will give you a logbook endorsement and you'll be good for another two years. You can read the regs here:http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-....1.1.34&idno=14If your flight review does not include night landings, you'll need to do three night landings to a full stop to be legal to carry passengers at night.To become instrument current, you'll need to complete an instrument proficiency check with an authorized instructor or examiner. I'd recommend you download the latest Instrument Rating PTS as it now lists the stuff that is mandatory for an instrument proficiency check. You can download the latest Instrument PTS here:http://av-info.faa.gov/data/practicaltests...a-s-8081-4d.pdfHope that helps ...John

Guest kuma

Best of all, you could go for a new rating...like multiengine or even cheaper, seaplane. The first would take 10 hours and the second only a few, and if you go for multiengine/instrument, you will have your currency requirements right there.Or do the Wings program, then you have a set amount of hours to do for your BFR, though I forget how many exactly.