Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

SLI config working again in V4.1

21 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Not that I noticed Stephen. Of course, I lock at 20 so I wouldn't see any increase and smooth is smooth at any FPS. What I do notice is that the Ti doesn't seem to work as hard as the SLI 1070's. Same situation wher the SLI would giver me 50% usage on both, the Ti is around 35 or 45%. That card is a beast.

Vic

I imagine so!

With SLI you have nearly double the noise, heat, and juice running. I bought a reference GTX1080 which easily overclocks with MSI Afterburner that runs the core clock at 2100Mhz and memory at 5500Mhz but temps seldom exceeds mid 60s C.

The thing is, when I analyse the 8 (4+4HT) CPU threads (2700K at 4.935Ghz) they are running at or near 100% as is the GPU which is showing 100% fully utilized. I theorize that if I drop in another GTX1080 in SLI I have room for it's output to grow quite a bit.

If I had your processor, or some of the new ones coming up I expect that a 2080 (or 2x1080) :) might be needed! 

Kind regards,

PS: What does happen to your FPS and smoothness when you set unlimited? I expect it would be going so fast your watch runs backwards...

I'm running 1070 SLI mode now with good performance.  I think SLI was a NVidia marketing effort to get you to buy 2 GPU's instead of one.  Tech today is good enough to do a single good card like the 1080ti so I will dump the SLI soon.  Lower Hard / Soft resource requirements also with less noise.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

11 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I gave up on SLI "performance mode" as it seemed too dependent on nVidia driver versions ... it also has some strange side affects generating incorrect z-order where I would see building/ground objects render in front of clouds or in some cases PAPI lights wouldn't render at all.  Not to mention I had to disable it for use with XP11 and other flight sims.

BUT, it's great to see some positive reports on SLI.  I would love to see someone post some timeframe data with and without SLI using SSAA and DL (same flight scenario) ... Vsyn On/Off.  Who knows, maybe I'll buy two V100 GPUs instead of one when available.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Precision EVGA XOC will show you GPU loads across each GPU (when you enable OSD and setup each GPU's OSD setting). https://www.evga.com/precisionxoc/

Hello Rob, 

Quick question for you if you have a moment. I’ve always found your 4K settings very handy as a basis for my system. Would you by chance have an updated version posted somewhere for V4.0 or V4.1? I checked your website but didn’t see anything new there. Thanks for your time. 

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

20 minutes ago, N405GJ said:

Would you by chance have an updated version posted somewhere for V4.0 or V4.1?

Yes, take a look at my signature below... P3DWiki or this link: http://p3dwiki.com/graphics.html

Select one of the 8 situation/tabs that best fit's your type of flying (GA Rural Night, GA Rural Day, etc. etc).

You may also want to try 8XMSAA rather than 2XSSAA or 4XSSAA.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Yes, take a look at my signature below... P3DWiki or this link: http://p3dwiki.com/graphics.html

Select one of the 8 situation/tabs that best fit's your type of flying (GA Rural Night, GA Rural Day, etc. etc).

You may also want to try 8XMSAA rather than 2XSSAA or 4XSSAA.

Cheers, Rob.

I saw Titan Pascal 0.0 : Are you in SLI titan XP ?

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars

On 10/19/2017 at 8:41 AM, wimbutte said:

Hi Pete, I’m the Dutch guy you met at Cosford Flighsim show at Prosim stand.. ( remember the selfie haha ) May I ask you why you have decided not to go for your original plan to use 1 card per projector  but rather use them in SLI?

Simply because first we tried one card per projector, and we saw more stutters and overall poorer performance. We are just guessing that this is because the data needed for the displays has to be fed separately to each one through a possibly limited channel, so afftecting CPU performance. By having them all on the one card and using SLI to allow that card to use also whatever resources it could to help, and such data transfer is taken off the processor.

It definitely appears that no matter what clever visual technology you throw at P3D, at present it still ends up being processor limited. Maybe that will change eventually, but I expect it would mean a move to DX12.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

6 hours ago, supersym said:

Are you in SLI titan XP ?

I was, but not anymore.

Cheers, Rob.

Did'nt you see a real improvement ?

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars

3 minutes ago, supersym said:

Did'nt you see a real improvement

Many moons ago yes, but I've gone thru many nVidia driver updates since then and new P3D Version ... I haven't bothered to re-test with V4.1 and latest drivers.  Lost the desire to continue with SLI because it was so driver dependent and problematic.  That's why I was asking if someone would do some timeframe testing with and without SLI using SSAA and DL and post all their results and data.

It's pretty rare to see people bother to go thru the detail analysis (showing all the settings, add-ons, result files, etc. etc.) that I go thru ... not a criticism because I know it can take many hours and even days to run thru apples to apples testing to get accurate information. But maybe someone else can take the task on and run with it?

Cheers, Rob.

18 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

PS: What does happen to your FPS and smoothness when you set unlimited? I expect it would be going so fast your watch runs backwards...

LOL, strangely enough, it induces stutters. If I lock at 20 or 30 I'm good to go but unlimited or over 30 locked gets choppy. Did the same with the SLI setup.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors