Sign in to follow this  

Bought PTA: I was afraid this would happen

I made a comparison. All taken at Orbx LOWI with the same weather and same settings. Only thing changed is the PTA Preset. No filters or anything.

You might want to view it at full size.

For me it's a toss-up between Matt Davies and PTAsbolute. (Matt's clouds are really bright though)

kEQBdj6.jpg

• Upvote 2

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

I like Matt Davies too. But the problem with his clouds is that they are bright in the wrong places and dark in the wrong places. Typically the top of the cloud is bright and the bottom dark. Not the other way around:biggrin:

22 minutes ago, Ebs said:

I made a comparison.

Nice! I also made some screenshots from within the cockpit of the Comanche over FTX Norway (Bergen). First is default, second is PTAbsolute Natural Less Haze. You should click on them to see the larg versions and then switch between them quickly with the arrow keys to appreciate the differences! Both screenshots were taken with the same P3D settings (so HDR according to the PTA preset: originally my own screens looked even a tad more grey!).

In this first example you can see how the ground where the sun shines on is a bit more vibrant and how things in the distance are more blue. The sun on the cockpit is also more 'shiny'. The details of the panel can still be seen though (unlike with most other presets). Also notice how the clouds have more depth and detail.

1Default1.jpg

1PTA1.jpg

This second example is pretty cool and effective too: in the default screenshot the lighting of the entire scenery looks a bit the same: not much variation. Some light shadows, things in the distance look the same as nearby and you can't really see where the sun is shining. In the second screenshot with the PTAbsolute preset however there is a LOT more variation: the mountains in the distance are a lot darker and have a nice blue haze, the mountain nearby to the left also is a bit darker, and due to this the part in the middle is much more clearly in the full sunlight. The colors are slightly more vibrant too. And still you can see all detail from the cockpit. Again, you should click on them and switch between them using the arrow keys to clearly see the differences!

2Default2.jpg

2PTA2.jpg

This PTAbsolute preset (Natural Less Haze) is by far my favorite: it is subtle but the improvements are clear and very realistic. So much more better than the often praised Thopat preset!

So, well, in the end I think I can say I am satisfied with my purchase after all. Sorry for being such a drama queen at first...

9 minutes ago, Avidean said:

I like Matt Davies too. But the problem with his clouds is that they are bright in the wrong places and dark in the wrong places. Typically the top of the cloud is bright and the bottom dark. Not the other way around:biggrin:

In that case: try the PTAbsolute Natural! :wink: Imho after a few hours of testing it is the most realistic preset out there (I prefer the Less haze version) and blows all other presets out of the water. Most of them are way over the top and look nothing like the real thing. (Obviously some people may actually like that but I don't. As may be clear by now. :cool:)

1 hour ago, Ebs said:

I thought the same!

...Then I tried THOPAT preset - https://www.sass-projects.info/thopat/

...Then Visual Mod 1.1 - http://www.aviationlads.com/download/download-pta-preset-visual-mod-v1-1/

...Now I'm about to download the ENVTEX one - https://togapjcts.wixsite.com/toga/ptabsolute

:blink::biggrin:

I used THOPAT thought 3.4, I think they will bring a new one out for the new version and 4.1 well try it them Neil for sure.

ive not installed Rex soft clouds yet or Envtex with Cloud art.

Not sure the way to go, soft clouds look the best to me.

EDIT just seen it’s been up dated for the new version:)

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

PTA gives me an error when trying to install PTAbsolute naturals. Using the latest PTA. Something about missing files in red in the PTA log.

After having added some new tweaks to my custom preset It looks fantastic again :biggrin:

P3Dv4%20PTA2%20-1.jpg

P3Dv4%20PTA2%20-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 hours ago, J van E said:

This PTAbsolute preset (Natural Less Haze) is by far my favorite: it is subtle but the improvements are clear and very realistic. So much more better than the often praised Thopat preset!

So, well, in the end I think I can say I am satisfied with my purchase after all. Sorry for being such a drama queen at first...

Happy Birthday then :biggrin: you got there in the end, you drama queen:biggrin:

2 hours ago, Ebs said:

I made a comparison. All taken at Orbx LOWI with the same weather and same settings. Only thing changed is the PTA Preset. No filters or anything.

You might want to view it at full size.

For me it's a toss-up between Matt Davies and PTAsbolute. (Matt's clouds are really bright though)

Great job Neil, I personally like the clouds looking like the sun is hitting them. Pilots wear sunglass for a reason. IMO people have there sim set to dark. Sun on white is hard on the eyes.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

After having added some new tweaks to my custom preset It looks fantastic again :biggrin:

Have you posted this anywhere Gerard?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I did a couple more comparisons. I've settled on THOPAT for now (although that may change again tomorrow!)

Here's THOPAT (with contrast tuning completely disabled)

and....Google Earth :blink:

Njl2r6o.jpg

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

3 hours ago, LEFTSEAT said:

PTA gives me an error when trying to install PTAbsolute naturals. Using the latest PTA. Something about missing files in red in the PTA log.

I get the same thing...

ERROR applying custom tweak [Clouds directional lighting 3] : the desired block is not found
Preset has been applied with errors. See log above

J van E, did you run into this too? 

EDIT: I think I found the answer here: 

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

4 hours ago, J van E said:

This PTAbsolute preset (Natural Less Haze)

Ok, so I downloaded the free standalone PTAAbsolute, just to see what the fuss is about.  I am not into adjusting too much, if this freeware works, then many thanks to the author(s) and I will then skip buying PTA, just to avoid now having yet another app to tweak the sim, too much temptations for me :laugh:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

+1 on this request.

Eric 

3 hours ago, JeffB said:

I get the same thing...

ERROR applying custom tweak [Clouds directional lighting 3] : the desired block is not found
Preset has been applied with errors. See log above

J van E, did you run into this too? 

EDIT: I think I found the answer here: 

Thanks Jeff

7 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

PTA section ...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

11 hours ago, GSalden said:

P3Dv4%20PTA2%20-1.jpg

P3Dv4%20PTA2%20-2.jpg

Thanks for the share and nice work on the preset.

Regards

Branko