2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Here is the Honeycomb brochure for the yoke and throttle...

http://flyhoneycomb.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Honeycomb-Brochure-2017.pdf

Well if those pictures are to be believed that looks like actual PFC hardware, which I think means be get ball races in the bearings and bungees for the springs. If they can do this and sell it for $200 then surely they will elbow Saitek and CH into the margins. Mind you, this is sort of what Iris Dynamics promised and their yoke tripled in price by the time it got to market. Still, it's looking hopeful...

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Mark,

A modest increase in price would not surprise me but I doubt we’ll see a major one. Just my thoughts. The input by PFC designers is welcome but I’m guessing some compromises have been made with components. As long as they use high quality pots or Hall effect sensors I’ll be happy.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm in the market for a new yoke, but I won't be buying this one. I dont need any switches on the face plate, and as as it hasn't got a flat top, it will not fit under my desk , as my present Saitek does.

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Here is the Honeycomb brochure for the yoke and throttle...

http://flyhoneycomb.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Honeycomb-Brochure-2017.pdf

You can see more from Honeycomb on their Facebook page.

Search for honeycomb aeronautical

Nice info Ray!

Have a look at the pdf brochure. In a small picture, it shows the internal of the yoke. The bearing is a radial bearing, but it is different from the PFC bearing. The Honeycomb Alpha bearing is like the bearing used in the Yoke yoke. See following video (PFC Beech starting at 4:00 and Yoko at &:35).

The Yoko yoke bearing, and therefore also the Honeycomb I think, are radial bearings reducing the friction for the roll motion.
In addition, Yoko uses a linear slide bearing to reduce friction for the pitch motion. The Honeycomb brochure does not show enough detail about the mechanism for the pitch motion, if any.

The Yoko slide mechanism has a disadvantage. The total roll torque has to be counteracted by the pitch bearing with a very small bearing arm (the slide bearing is only 10 to 15 mm wide). The roll torque leads to high forces in the pitch slide bearing.

When you are going to Lelystad, can you test the following? Hold the yoke handle with one hand, give max roll input, then give pitch motion backwards and forwards. Compare with pitch backwards and forwards with both hands without roll. Sense the difference in pitch force.    

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

10 minutes ago, oemlegoem said:

Nice info Ray!

Have a look at the pdf brochure. In a small picture, it shows the internal of the yoke. The bearing is a radial bearing, but it is different from the PFC bearing. The Honeycomb Alpha bearing is like the bearing used in the Yoke yoke. See following video (PFC Beech starting at 4:00 and Yoko at &:35).

The Yoko yoke bearing, and therefore also the Honeycomb I think, are radial bearings reducing the friction for the roll motion.
In addition, Yoko uses a linear slide bearing to reduce friction for the pitch motion. The Honeycomb brochure does not show enough detail about the mechanism for the pitch motion, if any.

The Yoko slide mechanism has a disadvantage. The total roll torque has to be counteracted by the pitch bearing with a very small bearing arm (the slide bearing is only 10 to 15 mm wide). The roll torque leads to high forces in the pitch slide bearing.

When you are going to Lelystad, can you test the following? Hold the yoke handle with one hand, give max roll input, then give pitch motion backwards and forwards. Compare with pitch backwards and forwards with both hands without roll. Sense the difference in pitch force.    

I did consider the Yoko but the lack of buttons was a real drawback. It sounds like you have an engineering background which is helpful at times like this. Yes, I will try your test and report back. In real life a 90 degree turn whilst engaging a high rate of climb is unlikely in a civilian aircraft but interesting nevertheless. :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

In real life a 90 degree turn whilst engaging a high rate of climb is unlikely in a civilian aircraft but interesting nevertheless. :biggrin:

I think full control deflections in any combination are possible (likely) on rough approaches. This came to mind.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

2 hours ago, MarkDH said:

I think full control deflections in any combination are possible (likely) on rough approaches. This came to mind.

Good reason to keep away from light aircraft. :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, oemlegoem said:

Nice info Ray!

I forgot to link the video. Sorry about that. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg2-zL5-XBI

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

7 hours ago, Freo said:

I'm in the market for a new yoke, but I won't be buying this one. I dont need any switches on the face plate, and as as it hasn't got a flat top, it will not fit under my desk , as my present Saitek does.

Well I am sure if you just notify these guys they will remove the buttons and change the shape of the box to fit under just your desktop. I am just not sure why they did not contact you before starting the project.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

A bit harsh Sam, he was just stating his opinion... and gave definite reasons! :cool:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

2 hours ago, shivers9 said:

Well I am sure if you just notify these guys they will remove the buttons and change the shape of the box to fit under just your desktop. I am just not sure why they did not contact you before starting the project.

You know what they say about sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, HighBypass said:

A bit harsh Sam, he was just stating his opinion... and gave definite reasons! :cool:

Yep sorry.....maybe a bit harsh. I just hate seeing developers getting beat up when they at least try to bring us a new product. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

4 hours ago, oemlegoem said:

I forgot to link the video. Sorry about that. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg2-zL5-XBI

I’ve seen that video but thanks anyway.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, shivers9 said:

Yep sorry.....maybe a bit harsh. I just hate seeing developers getting beat up when they at least try to bring us a new product. 

I am not "beating them" up as you said above. I am sure there will be plenty of people who would buy it, if the design suited them. I was merely stating my personal opinion as to why it does not suit my needs. 

Have a nice day.

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

I asked my contact at Honeycomb how the yoke and throttle attaches to the desktop as the photos don't give you a clue. This was her reply...

The yoke includes a mounting bracket that attaches to the top of the cowling and makes the front part of the top flat. The purpose of the bracket is to enable mounting Saitek panels as well as some items that we have on our own product road map.

Both the yoke and the Throttle comes with a newly developed table mounting system that doesn’t require any clamps and can be attached to any surface. The mounting system consists of a bottom plate, with a Nano suction surface that literally has hundreds of thousands of microscopical suction cups. Once attached to the table it is literally impossible to pull the plate off (it can be removed by pealing from the corner). The yoke/ throttle is placed on top of the plate and locked into place.

Hope you find that helpful. Seems like a good solution.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather