Is there a real airplane that has a yoke looking like that? The term 'butt ugly' springs to mind. I know it's plastic but does it have look like plastic? Or would that put the price up?

Agree with Gabe. First make it good (and look good)

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On 5/5/2018 at 12:14 AM, Gabe777 said:

That shaft looks very thin.

I agree, the diameter does look a bit on the puny side. Maybe its just the angle that the picture was taken at, which gives it a different perspective. 

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

7 hours ago, tttocs said:

Hmm.  I'm completely in agreement on moving the hat to the left side, but were folks really asking for the left side rocker to be horizontal?  The most common use for this would be for "electric" (elevator) trim which should be vertical.  This one I truly don't get.

Scott

I don't get this. It was said that the right switch operates horizontally. Looking at the picture, that means that the left switch operates vertically.

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

8 hours ago, tttocs said:

Hmm.  I'm completely in agreement on moving the hat to the left side, but were folks really asking for the left side rocker to be horizontal?  The most common use for this would be for "electric" (elevator) trim which should be vertical.  This one I truly don't get.

Scott

There isn't the physical space to have two rocker switches on the right. I'm sure people will get used to it especially when elevator trim is used far more than rudder trim. In fact I have rudder trim on two switches on my throttle quadrant and once set to zero isn't touched.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Freo said:

I agree, the diameter does look a bit on the puny side. Maybe its just the angle that the picture was taken at, which gives it a different perspective. 

What were you planning to do with your yoke? Hang off it? :biggrin: It slides back and forth and rotates. What physical pressures are placed on it?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If that shaft is a solid steel bar then one could probably hang off it 😉 ... and it would be more than up to allowing the yoke to do its job.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

5 hours ago, Freo said:

There's far more to strength and rigidity than just the diameter of the shaft. The material (and any treatment it may have had), diameter and wall thickness all contribute to the strength. As Ray said, it needs it's greatest strength in compression and torsion, not bending.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

There isn't the physical space to have two rocker switches on the right. I'm sure people will get used to it especially when elevator trim is used far more than rudder trim. In fact I have rudder trim on two switches on my throttle quadrant and once set to zero isn't touched

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here Ray.  IRL elevator trim is usually on the left side of the yoke so that it's easily available when the right hand is busy on the quadrant.  This setup makes me either choose to live with it being on the right (ugh), or have to map up-down, to left-right in my head (double-ugh).  I really don't care about rudder trim (and in fact, I've never flown a RW plane which even HAS electric rudder trim on the yoke), but I care A LOT about elevator trim being available and realistic. 

If this is the trade-off for moving the hat switch, I'd gladly vote to leave it on the right.  That said, this was something that even Saitek managed to get right.

Scott

@tttocs, I take your point but I have elevator trim set using my right up/down switch on my Saitek. Never been a problem. I use the left one for view changes. You can guess I'm not a pilot. :biggrin:

It's probably too late now but you could always drop Honeycomb an email and point this out to them.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It's probably too late now but you could always drop Honeycomb an email and point this out to them.

I expect you're right about it being too late, but still worth a shot.

Scott

I agree the two-way rocker switch on the left yoke handle should be vertical. This is almost always used for pitch trim and should be a vertical switch on the left side of the yoke to be consistent with typical RW a/c yoke mounted electric pitch trim switches. After all, pitch trim is a nose up, nose down function so it seems to me that basic human factors engineering would say the switch should be vertical.

Honeycomb advertises that this yoke was designed by pilots and aerospace engineers to ensure the most realistic flight experience, so I wonder what the thinking was that led to the horizontal orientation of this switch.

Al

Edited by ark

I really don't get all the comments about the trim switch on the left. Read the facebook comments:
"rotate the right 2 x 2-way rocker switch to operate horizontally"

The switch on the right operates horizontally. Then look at the picture. The trim switch on the left is rotated 90degrees. So the trim switch on the left operates vertically. So it is correct for pitch trim.

Edited by oemlegoem

6 minutes ago, oemlegoem said:

So the trim switch on the left operates vertically. So it is correct for pitch trim.

No it doesn't. It operates horizontally. There were several comments on Facebook about the elevator trim being on the right instead of left but there was no reply from Honeycomb. if you want to contact them send an email to info@flyhoneycomb.com

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No it doesn't. It operates horizontally. There were several comments on Facebook about the elevator trim being on the right instead of left but there was no reply from Honeycomb. if you want to contact them send an email to info@flyhoneycomb.com

I think the confusion on facebook is as big as it is here on avsim.

The market communication from flyhoneycomb on April 26 states that the switch on the right operates horizontally. The switch on the left is rotated 90degrees and operates therefore vertically.
It is the interpretation from facebook users that is different. But this was never confirmed by flyhoneycomb!

The look from the switch is deceiving. What strengthens my interpretation is the indent in the switch , which is meant for the thumb position. From the picture, you can then see that the switch on the left operates vertically.

Can anyone look at those details , and confirm, or not confirm? 

@oemlegoem, the photo I posted here is directly from the Facebook post by Honeycomb. The right rocker is definitely vertical and the left horizontal.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather