3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@oemlegoem, the photo I posted here is directly from the Facebook post by Honeycomb. The right rocker is definitely vertical and the left horizontal.

I think that is an interpretation just from the look of the picture. My interpretation is that the indent in the switch indicates the thumb position, which would show that the right rocker switch operates horizontally. As is confirmed by flyhoneycomb.

I do not want to take this too serious. What about betting a beer? I hope to meet you sometime and lose gracefully.

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

10 minutes ago, oemlegoem said:

I think that is an interpretation just from the look of the picture. My interpretation is that the indent in the switch indicates the thumb position, which would show that the right rocker switch operates horizontally. As is confirmed by flyhoneycomb.

I do not want to take this too serious. What about betting a beer? I hope to meet you sometime and lose gracefully.

Sorry but I just can’t see how you could interpret that as a horizontal switch. Happy to bet a beer but only if you update your sig to show where in the world you are.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My comments were based on the picture of the 'updated' yoke posted above on 27 April (Pg10) by Ray, and in that picture the left rocker switch looks horizontal to me.

Al

Edited by ark

1 hour ago, oemlegoem said:

The look from the switch is deceiving. What strengthens my interpretation is the indent in the switch , which is meant for the thumb position. From the picture, you can then see that the switch on the left operates vertically.

I'm with you - these switches are like the elevator trim switch on the Beech Baron yoke. If you don't know this type of switch, the Honeycomb schematic looks wrong.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

35 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

I'm with you - these switches are like the elevator trim switch on the Beech Baron yoke. If you don't know this type of switch, the Honeycomb schematic looks wrong.

I sure hope you guys are right that the look (e.g., the white pattern) on the rocker switches is deceiving . In support of what you are saying, in the text along with the 27April picture on Pg 10 of this thread, they do say the right rocker switch works horizontally (although it looks vertical to me).  But if the right switch is horizontal, then the left is vertical after all. So I'm a bit more hopeful now.

Al

Edited by ark

Having zoomed in on the photo on p10 I agree the right-hand toggle switches could be elevator trim. The lighting is a bit flat which doesn’t help.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It seems Honeycomb is active on Facebook (at least more active than they are here), so if someone with a Facebook account (I don't have one) would be kind enough to ask them to make a short post here regarding the rocker switches final orientation on the yoke hopefully this issue could be cleared up quickly.

Thx,

Al

Edited by ark
  • Upvote 1

On 5/6/2018 at 7:24 PM, Ron Attwood said:

Is there a real airplane that has a yoke looking like that? The term 'butt ugly' springs to mind. I know it's plastic but does it have look like plastic? Or would that put the price up?

Agree with Gabe. First make it good (and look good)

It doesn't look any worse than what it's competing with in that price range, the Saitek and the CH Products Yokes.

James

On the switches are you pushing on the indented portion or on the raised portion. They did post along with that CAD photo and in it they stated the Right was horizontal. If that's the case then it seems you put your thumb into the indention and push right/left (right switch) or up/down (left switch) to operate instead of resting your thumb on top and pushing down on it to operate

James

5 hours ago, Phantoms said:

it seems you put your thumb into the indention and push right/left (right switch) or up/down (left switch) to operate instead of resting your thumb on top and pushing down on it to operate

Yes. And it also helps to know that this is two independent switches that you operate simultaneously (note the description of a "2 x 2-way rocker switch"). Once you accept this it's not hard to see how the orientation is 90 degrees different to what you thought it was.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

30 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

Yes. And it also helps to know that this is two independent switches that you operate simultaneously (note the description of a "2 x 2-way rocker switch"). Once you accept this it's not hard to see how the orientation is 90 degrees different to what you thought it was.

What is the purpose of having two independent switches 2 x 2-way rocker switch, operating simultaneously? As far as I know, for a trimming function, a SPDT (single pole double throw) switch is used,
with a (mom)-off-(mom) function, which recenters when released.. 

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

11 minutes ago, oemlegoem said:

What is the purpose of having two independent switches 2 x 2-way rocker switch, operating simultaneously?

That's not for me to say, I'm just pointing out that this is what we're looking at. If you research electric trims it appears it is often designed this way

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

"What is the purpose of having two independent switches 2 x 2-way rocker switch, operating simultaneously?"

They do use two side by side trim switches in many RW a/c and both have to be pushed together to activate the trim (in effect the switches are wired in series). This is a safety feature that prevents 'trim run-away' should one switche fail (short in the on position).

For example, in the picture of the Falcon 50 cockpit at the link below, note the two side-by-side (and vertical  :smile:)  pitch trim rocker switches on the top, left side of the pilot's yoke. Both switches must be pushed together to activate the trim.

http://captmoonbeam.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DSCF3880.jpg

The RW aside, how the Honeycomb switches work is still not clear to me.

Al

Edited by ark

So. We wait. Patiently. For someone - anyone - to actually get hands on with this ellusive ('mythical', even) artefact.

... And all people have to discuss is the position and function of a 'rocker switch' ?

Oh my.... 3rd World problems eh ? ! ? !

Hehe. At least its entertaining !

Edited by Gabe777

Count me firmly in the camp of the left trim switch operating vertically. 

That's the standard arrangement on any aircraft with electric elevator trim.  As explained earlier, the switch is really split into two switches which must both be operated simultaneously for the trim to actuate.  It's a safeguard against one shorted switch being able to create a trim runaway. 

In order to make it easier and more natural - feeling to operate both halves of the switch simultaneously, the switches are typically indented towards the center so the pilot's thumb naturally presses the center of the "split", so both switches are actuated at once.  That's what we're seeing on the Honeycomb yoke. 

As an example, look at the trim switch on the left yoke of this King Air 90.  It's conveniently labeled. The indenting isn't quite as dramatic as on the Honeycomb, but you get the idea:

20396909_source.jpg

Andrew Crowley