It seems a bit dubious that the avworld site are the only ones so far advertising for pre-orders and listing a potential release date when even honeycomb have not said anything as yet. While I hope it is true, but buyer beware there are some fraudulent people out there ready to take your hard earned cash. In no way am I saying that avworld are scammers, they may have exclusive deal and inside information for all we know

Edited by bedgie

“Flying should not be a journey to the destination with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved Aircraft,

but rather to skid sideways in a cloud of smoke down the runway, engines on fire, passengers screaming, physically worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! That was one hell of a Ride and we're on Schedule!”

I’ve had discussions with Nicki Repenning, CEO of FlyHoneycomb and he told me Aerosoft would be the distributors for Europe.

I don’t have any knowledge of US ones but I agree I would hold off making any commitment to purchase until the official announcement from FlyHoneycomb.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 5/22/2018 at 4:12 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hello Ray P.

Excuse me, have you seen this post by Mr. Kok from Aerosoft?

It might interest you.

Mathijs Kok

Aerosoft Forum Administrator

Root Admin

Posted May 21

" I was hoping nobody would ask, lol.

First of all, it WILL come and it is badass, very very nicely 

Secondly, it will come 4th quarter. "

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/131029-honeycomb-products/&tab=comments#comment-870058

Best regards

• Upvote 1

Thanks @polosim. I've added my comments to that thread.

The lack of updates on the official Fly Honeycomb website is disappointing, They still show Q1 2018 as expected release period. :sad:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 5/30/2018 at 8:55 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

The lack of updates on the official Fly Honeycomb website is disappointing

And worrying, considering how easy it is to update the forecast release date. It's also a little concerning that they say on their Facebook page that costs are "significantly higher than projected".  but they are determined to keep the retail price at $199. Even though they say that they want to keep the costs lower with "minimal effect on user experience", it's difficult to see how they can do this without further cutting of corners (hall effect sensors being the first casualties). Perhaps there's a reason why similar yokes are so much more expensive. No updates on the throttle which makes me think we won't see it this year, which probably makes it a non-starter for me.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

........No updates on the throttle which makes me think we won't see it this year, which probably makes it a non-starter for me.

There is a hope, on June 9th, begins the FlightSim Expo 2018 in Las Vegas, this will participate Aerosoft who is going to be the distributor of this product in Europe, we crossed our fingers to see some new news ( and good )

I could be wrong but it appears to be a one-man operation. Nicki was on his own at Lelystad in Nov, and appeared to be on his own for the China trip.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@vortex681, yes,I don’t want to end up with a Saitek mk 2. I fail to understand the obsession with the $199 price when the step up to the next level is several hundred dollars. Perhaps he’s concerned that prospective customers might stay with Saitek?

Given my Saitek throttles have lasted around 8 years before the pots started playing up I’m not averse to trying another pair and keeping my yoke which whilst not brilliant does at least work reasonably okay.

And I doubt I’ll be ordering before I’ve read a few reviews both professional and amateur. I’m not the type who dives in on day 1.

I really wish FH would consider the option of Hall effect sensors even with a higher price. Pots are the weakest link and should be avoided.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

There is new info on the facebook website from FlyHoneycomb.

"Apologies for being offline for a while, we're using all our resources to get the products ready for mass production. Here's an update on the product development.
As mentioned in an earlier post we had to evaluate the components in the yoke. Our factory partner, which has over 15 years of experience in making flight simulation equipment, tested several different sliding mechanisms on ball bearings which you can see in the image below and all performed as well as the original design, with significant cost saving. They have also successfully tested fiber reinforced polymer instead of aluminum for the mechanical housing which further reduces cost as well. Read more about the material here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre-reinforced_plastic
On the Throttle quadrant, we have received a lot of requests to add a TO/GA button and we're trying to incorporate that into the design as well as adding motorized function to the trim wheel.
We had to take another look at the mounting system as well. The nano-suction system has proven to be too strong, so while not abandoning the system, we're looking to find a way where you can remove the yoke without ripping your desk apart. It is literally that strong.
I know a lot of you are growing impatient, so are we, but this is not an easy project and it's taking more time than expected. We're basically trying to make a $1000 yoke for less than $200 and it's proven difficult but not impossible. With the updates above, together with a reduced margin for retail and lowered profit goals we're able to maintain a $199 price point. We firmly believe that the community deserves well made reasonably priced yoke and trottle solution that isn't 15 year old technology.
If you contact us, have patience. We don't have support staff yet, but at launch we'll have in house tech support people for North/South America. For Europe, tech support will be handles by Aerosoft so you will be in good hands.
Thank you for your patience."

https://de-de.facebook.com/FlyHoneycomb/

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

On 6/1/2018 at 3:35 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

@vortex681, yes,I don’t want to end up with a Saitek mk 2. I fail to understand the obsession with the $199 price when the step up to the next level is several hundred dollars. Perhaps he’s concerned that prospective customers might stay with Saitek?

Given my Saitek throttles have lasted around 8 years before the pots started playing up I’m not averse to trying another pair and keeping my yoke which whilst not brilliant does at least work reasonably okay.

And I doubt I’ll be ordering before I’ve read a few reviews both professional and amateur. I’m not the type who dives in on day 1.

I really wish FH would consider the option of Hall effect sensors even with a higher price. Pots are the weakest link and should be avoided.

Hehe - someone changed their tune ? !

But yes.... exactly - the 200 (x2 = 400) dollar price point is a joke - they need a decent accountant - as I said a few posts back.

You need to look at the market and identify a niche - economical, not biological !

I was an accountant for many years - granted, not in a massive international firm, just a small high street firm, but i learned in A Level Economics in the 80s that you need to have a USP.

This "proposed" product, does not have a USP - it is basically like ALL the others out there... so their USP needs to be - Quality and Price that none of the others offer.

For me, that is somewhere smack in the middle of 300 bucks and 1000 bucks - i.e. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS at 350 (a HOTAS, I know, but a popular alternative to Saitek), and the Pro level Yokes and throttles that are around 500 bucks each.

THAT IS A BIG RANGE - EASY TO HIT AT SOME POINT.

It must also hit all the things that cheaper stuff doesn't - STICTION, High Rez (12 or 16 bit) resolution, and those dreaded Detents. And of course, the use of Hall Effect sensors, for accuracy, low (or zero) noise, and longevitiy due to lack of moving parts.

So, get it working, ...

without detents;

without Stiction,

and at a nice high resolution.

This means good materials - NO plastic against metal (i.e all metal inards with good replaceable bearings, that can be greased), and good quality Hall Effect sensors.

THEN WORRY ABOUT THE PRICE.

If it comes in at 600 bucks, so be it - it is still 40 percent less than the Pro level stuff, and only a 150 bucks or so, more expensive than the Warthog.

Comparing it to the Saitek will then be MOOT, as it is an entirely different product. You can have a Saitek setup for 200 bucks, along with plastic, detents, and mechanical noise... and a finite lifetime... or you go full hog to Pro level stuff at 800 to 1000 bucks... or you go in the middle at 500 to 600 bucks for the Honeycomb.

So, shooting for a 2x200 = 400 bucks price point, and compromising on everything is FOOLISH.

.... after all, if they use potentiometer, and there are detents, stiction and finite durability, is it really worth the extra over the Saitek ?? !! Surely if it costs twice as much, it needs to be twice as good... but how could it be ?

@Gabe777, yes, I'm having to reconsider because Honeycomb keep shifting the goalposts. First it was Q1 2018 (so we should be able to buy it now) then Q2 and now Q4. So 1 Oct at the earliest but more likely 31 Dec and even the possibility of further delays.

And the constant revising of materials to keep to the $199 is worrying. I don't want Saitek Mk 2 because with that price point that is where Honeycomb appear to be aiming.

As you say they have a real opportunity here to aim for the middle ground between Saitek and the pro gear. That's $350-500 per unit. But I fear they are aiming at the lower end of the market, maybe hoping to lure Saitek owners without having to spend too much more. But I want to spend more because I want the extra quality, not something a bit better than Saitek.

The other thing that concerns me is the complete lack of info on the throttle quadrant. Nothing has been posted about that for ages. My Saitek yoke remains in reasonable condition but the throttle quadrants are failing badly. I need the throttles now but they aren't even showing any pictures of the Bravo.

Having found I can use two Saitek USB throttle quadrants and not requiring a PS/2 one I'm now close to ordering them and watching without any frustration the Honeycomb release news.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Having found I can use two Saitek USB throttle quadrants and not requiring a PS/2 one I'm now close to ordering them and watching without any frustration the Honeycomb release news.

If you decide to go for Saitek Throttle Quadrant, maybe you want to visit this page of related accessories

https://flightsimpm-uk.co.uk

15 minutes ago, polosim said:

If you decide to go for Saitek Throttle Quadrant, maybe you want to visit this page of related accessories

https://flightsimpm-uk.co.uk

Thanks but I don't currently fly a Boeing or Airbus. Too slow! :biggrin: I fly a PC-12, a Learjet 25 and when I want to get to places fast... Concorde.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

32 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I fly a PC-12, a Learjet 25 and when I want to get to places fast... Concorde.

In that case, I know an excellent option but the price goes very above average, however it is pure quality.

http://throttletek.com/lear-45-g-throttle/