Sign in to follow this  
gregda

ENVSHADE announced

As far as I see it EnvShade is like PTALight and since we already have PTA , what reason is there to buy this one ?

• Upvote 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

22 minutes ago, GSalden said:

As far as I see it EnvShade is like PTALight and since we already have PTA , what reason is there to buy this one ?

I'm really curious as to why you label this product 'PTA Light'?!

I'm really curious about ENVShade, to be honest. The possiblity of having the application change the presets on the fly, based on conditions within the sim is really amazing, to be honest... 

That would eliminate the need for multiple presets, which I have now. One for day, night, different conditions etc...

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Even if it is like PTA in the way that it handles "dynamic" changes, a little competition only moves things forward! Bring it on...

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DylanM said:

Even if it is like PTA in the way that it handles "dynamic" changes, a little competition only moves things forward! Bring it on...

But... does PTA even do Dynamic shader injection?! I haven't noticed this...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

1 hour ago, Anders Bermann said:

But... does PTA even do Dynamic shader injection?! I haven't noticed this...

PTA doesn't do that: it may change things depending on altitude, time of day etc. But afaik that's exactly what ENVSHADE will do too: change things depending on altitude, time of day etc., so nothing new here. I didn't read anywhere that it actually injects shades dynamically, if that is even possible. It doesn't change presets on the fly. In the end it's just the guys from ENVTEX trying to protect the work they did on their PTAbsolute preset by making it a part of ENVTEX and asking some money for the time they spend on it. Which btw is perfectly fine with me.

And you could call it PTA Lite because you can not change any settings at all, like in PTA. You get what you get and if you don't like it, bad luck. I have to say I absolutely LOVE their PTABsolute preset, haven't tweaked it at all, and so I think ENVSHADE will be good, but well, I don't own ENVTEX (don't like the clouds) so it has no use for me. I'll keep on using the PTAbsolute preset with PTA as long as possible (I do presume the free PTAbsolute preset will be no longer available as soon as ENVSHADE has been released but I am not sure).

14 minutes ago, J van E said:

PTA doesn't do that: it may change things depending on altitude, time of day etc. But afaik that's exactly what ENVSHADE will do too: change things depending on altitude, time of day etc., so nothing new here. I didn't read anywhere that it actually injects shades dynamically, if that is even possible. It doesn't change presets on the fly. In the end it's just the guys from ENVTEX trying to protect the work they did on their PTAbsolute preset by making it a part of ENVTEX and asking some money for the time they spend on it. Which btw is perfectly fine with me.

And you could call it PTA Lite because you can not change any settings at all, like in PTA. You get what you get and if you don't like it, bad luck. I have to say I absolutely LOVE their PTABsolute preset, haven't tweaked it at all, and so I think ENVSHADE will be good, but well, I don't own ENVTEX (don't like the clouds) so it has no use for me. I'll keep on using the PTAbsolute preset with PTA as long as possible (I do presume the free PTAbsolute preset will be no longer available as soon as ENVSHADE has been released but I am not sure).

I understand what you're saying.

As far as I can understand, ENVShade is, in some aspects, more advanced than PTA and PTA is in other aspects more advanced than ENVShade. They both have their merits, with weakneses and strenghts. 

Personally I really love the ENVTEX and the clouds. I can only look forward to ENVShade! I understand that some wants to tweak, and some just want to cllick-and-forget.

I just think it's a bit of a stretch, to refer to ENVShade as 'PTA light'.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

31 minutes ago, J van E said:

You like their 'absolute"? I guess this really is about aesthetics in the end. I had to considerably crank HDR brightness well beyond what they indicated to even give a modicum of realism. It's way too blue and way too dark in the cockpit. I've tried on a couple of flights and going back to one of the other pre-sets I have. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

26 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

You like their 'absolute"? I guess this really is about aesthetics in the end. I had to considerably crank HDR brightness well beyond what they indicated to even give a modicum of realism. It's way too blue and way too dark in the cockpit. I've tried on a couple of flights and going back to one of the other pre-sets I have. 

99% of the screenshots I see people showing off their PTA it looks like they've never looked out an airplane window in their life.

This Envshade v PTA debate is going to be controversial after Matt Davies yesterday accused the developer of stealing from him in the past and possibly stealing the logic of PTA for this Envshade.

8 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

99% of the screenshots I see people showing off their PTA it looks like they've never looked out an airplane window in their life.

This Envshade v PTA debate is going to be controversial after Matt Davies yesterday accused the developer of stealing from him in the past and possibly stealing the logic of PTA for this Envshade.

Uh oh!

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

One thing to keep in mind is that it's not just the different shaders and presets that will give you a specific result but also how you have your monitor/TV setup. It has been mentioned before but might be worth repeating when some people can't understand how some other people are enjoying a specific preset.

As for the accusation I have no idea what's behind that but to me it sounds like someone maybe isn't too happy about the upcoming competition. Maxime over at TOGA certainly hasn't struck me as being the kind of developer that would steal from someone else. Rather, my impression is he's a very genuine and honest type of guy but what do I know. At least that is the impression I have of him.

• Upvote 2

Richard Åsberg

59 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

As WebMaximus sort of said I also think that PTA presets can't be described as good or bad: you can only say it's good or bad on your PC. A lot of people absolute adore the Thopat preset while I absolutely hate it. Talking about too blue and too dark! On my PC PTAbsolute was the ONLY preset that didn't make things too blue and too dark! Are those Thopat people blind?! No, they just have a different setup that I do and on their PC it looks totally awesome. But not on mine. Of course it is also a matter of taste and aesthetics but after reading a lot about PTA and comparing presets I can say nothing else than that comparing screenshots and discussions won't help: you have to actually try a preset and decide for yourself if you like it or not. PTA's shaders clearly does something different on different computers because it is impossible for people to like the dark cockpits some presets give me (like PTAbsolute gives you): so things MUST look different and hence great on their computer. The cockpit on my PC looks wonderful with PTAbsolute but dark on yours: is that a matter of aesthetics? No, I think it is a matter of hardware.

Discussions about what is good or bad is a problem already on flightsim forums because of various reasons but discussing the quality of a PTA preset simply is impossible. :happy:

55 minutes ago, J van E said:

Discussions about what is good or bad is a problem already on flightsim forums because of various reasons but discussing the quality of a PTA preset simply is impossible. :happy:

And yet it will go on, ad nauseum. And I expect the Envshade discussion will do the same. Really, all you can do is say you like xyz or you do not like xyz period.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

This is going to be interesting to see hoe this plays out... 

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, tooting said:

This is going to be interesting to see hoe this plays out... 

All solved. 

Envshade wont allow you to edit the presets that are given out.

PTA will still be the only tool to edit the shaders themselves.

Look on TOGA facebook page.

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

53 minutes ago, akabam said:

All solved. 

Envshade wont allow you to edit the presets that are given out.

PTA will still be the only tool to edit the shaders themselves.

Look on TOGA facebook page.

Actually it was never meant to be possible to edit shaders. This is a product for people that doesn't want to edit things, for that just want download a preset and use it.

In their facebook page they said nothing will change, probably Matt just faced reallity and gave up.

From their website:

nvshade will allow you to enhance the visuals of your simulator in just a few clicks.

Is it customizable? No, but Why ?

Simply because we want you to enjoy your simulator, not to work on it instead of us ! We worked for you to recreate the most natural environment as possible within the simulator limits without adding un-natural colors or overtweaking the shaders.

• Upvote 1