Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Strange with 4.1

Question for you all.  I installed 4.1 by downloading and running the full install.  I was thinking I would have to re install and update all of my addons. After running the exe, I load up P3d and everything is still there.  All of my add on airports and planes are still there. I checked and it said 4.1. I did the asca and AS16 updates but nothing else.  It even appears that Orbx is running even though I didn't update. Same with black marble.  Could this be right?  Or did I do something wrong?  I was going to install the pta update but thought I'd check first. Thanks

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

I did the same thing and it's a well known fact that I don't do anything wrong. :cool: Actually, I ran the full installer over the existing install. All good. Then I read somewhere that you shouldn't do that, so I uninstalled everything via Programs and Features then REinstalled the full Monty. Still 'All Good'.

Relax.

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Were your addons still there? 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Easiest way to check is go into the start menu, type "Add or Remove programs" into the search bar, then find P3D in the list of programs and it will show the version number beside it. The one you are looking for is the one with the biggest file size. If that says 4.1 then you're golden. Or if you just installed the client then check next to the client and vice versa.

When you uninstall P3D using control panel - uninstall, it only removes what P3D installed and leaves everything else (add-ons) untouched including those in the P3D folder. 

I did Poppets procedure and did a complete uninstall mainly to see how it would work. I was happy to see add-ons installed in P3D 4.0 were still good in 4.1. Just make sure when reinstalling to install into same folder location.

With Orbx you have to run FTX Central to reactivate that scenery.

Ok so I checked in the add/remove programs and it says Prepar3d v4, client, scenery, content with a date of 10/10. I don't see 4.1 there.  However, when I am in the sim and go to help, about, while in the sim it says version 4.1.7.22841.  Am I good? 

16 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

...in the sim it says version 4.1.7.22841.  Am I good? 

If anything should know, P3D should know. Have a look in Options\Weather and see if there's an option for windshield effects. And yes, all my add-on are there.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

24 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

If anything should know, P3D should know. Have a look in Options\Weather and see if there's an option for windshield effects. And yes, all my add-on are there.

Yes, windshield effects are there. 

Sweet!  Thanks

This has worked this way for years. I *rarely* have to reinstall addons when I do a full install as long as I keep my folder structure intact. If an addon modifies any core files or if it does version checking, those will have to be reinstalled. At max I can do a complete reinstall in less than an hour including all my addon aircraft and sceneries.

Usually the problem comes with an addon that is "compatible" with P3D but wasn't designed for it and might have custom files here and there, like Tongass.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors