Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan93102

V4.1 Add On’s XML Document

Hello all,

I was suffering from Crash to Desktops prior to V4.1 being released after installing new scenery, basically P3D would crash on loading a new scenario. From following some threads on the Prepar3D Support Forum it transpired to be due to the AddOn XML document. The work around suggested on the forum was to de activate the Add On XML document and add the scenery manually to the Scenery Library. This is what I did and managed to get P3D working again prior to the release of V4.1. The issue was to be rectified in the release of V4.1 according to Lockheed Martin on their Support Forum. 

I am just wondering if anybody knows how to re activate the AddOn XML document so that when you start Prepar3D you get the box that pops up asking if you want to enable the add on. I’ve installed some scenery now I’ve updated to V4.1 and don’t appear to get asked this, I have to add the scenery manually to the Scenery Library. I’ve tried at getting it back to how it was done prior to this but can’t seem to get it to work. 

Would uninstalling the Client & Content then re installing these components solve this?

Many Thanks,

Jonathan.

- Jonathan Daley

remove the entries from the scenery.cfg either manually or using the in game scenery menu. then the addon xml files go in the p3d addons folder in their own folders. start p3d and it reads all folders in the p3d addons of your user name documents

50 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

remove the entries from the scenery.cfg either manually or using the in game scenery menu. then the addon xml files go in the p3d addons folder in their own folders. start p3d and it reads all folders in the p3d addons of your user name documents

Hello there, 

Thanks for the quick response.

I’ve just given it a go and it hasn’t worked sadly. I think I’ve screwed it up somehow deactivating it last week in my vein attempt to get P3D working while there was a known bug. 

I’m not going to worry about it, I’m happy just adding it manually - If I do have to reinstall I’ll still have the files on my computer to add the scenery manually. 

Thanks, 

Jonathan. 

- Jonathan Daley

Hello,

I read over the forum about an issue with Microsoft update which could have side effects with V4.1 and make it crash. Did you have a look at that option ?

6 minutes ago, christian83 said:

Hello,

I read over the forum about an issue with Microsoft update which could have side effects with V4.1 and make it crash. Did you have a look at that option ?

Hello Christian, 

Yes I believe this was the route cause of my issue. I’ve uninstalled one scenery to test and installed it again and it has done it the correct way so I presume this must be my option to get it working the XML way. 

Many thanks for the reply, 

Jonathan 

- Jonathan Daley

Have you tried Lorby-Si "Add-on Organizer?" He's got a new one out for P3Dv4.1 that allows mixing of .cfg and .xml scenery order. Another handy feature allows you to manually add sceneries using either .cfg or .xml. Another feature allows you to convert a .cfg scenery to a .xml addon or vice-versa. It's a damn handy tool, and I'd hate to be without it.

Give it a try, I think you'll find it will be very helpful for your situation. (make sure to get version 1.17 for P3Dv4.1)

https://lorby-si.weebly.com/downloads.html

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

1 hour ago, somiller said:

Have you tried Lorby-Si "Add-on Organizer?" He's got a new one out for P3Dv4.1 that allows mixing of .cfg and .xml scenery order. Another handy feature allows you to manually add sceneries using either .cfg or .xml. Another feature allows you to convert a .cfg scenery to a .xml addon or vice-versa. It's a damn handy tool, and I'd hate to be without it.

Give it a try, I think you'll find it will be very helpful for your situation. (make sure to get version 1.17 for P3Dv4.1)

https://lorby-si.weebly.com/downloads.html

Hello, 

Thanks for your reply. I’m going to try this out, am I right in thinking if I link the tool to where the scenery is located it will create the XML? 

Many thanks, 

Jonathan 

- Jonathan Daley

Jonathan,

Add-on Organizer automatically links to the default addon directories, however, you can specify any directory you want using the "Add Scenery" button. When you open AO, it will show all sceneries it finds, and color codes each entry to indicate whether it is in scenery.cfg or .xml, also whether a scenery is active or inactive.

Using "Add Scenery" allows you to enter a name and description for the .xml file it will create, and then you use the "Select Scenery" button to navigate to the scenery you want to add.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

1 minute ago, somiller said:

Jonathan,

Add-on Organizer automatically links to the default addon directories, however, you can specify any directory you want using the "Add Scenery" button. When you open AO, it will show all sceneries it finds, and color codes each entry to indicate whether it is in scenery.cfg or .xml, also whether a scenery is active or inactive.

Ah that is excellent. So if the scenery is already installed in P3D but not linked to the .xml I would just have to link it up to where the scenery is located and then that’s job done I take it? I’m sorry if I’ve misunderstood Prepar3D sometimes really confuses me. 

Thanks for your time explaining it. 

Jonathan. 

- Jonathan Daley

Jonathan,

I think in the case you are describing, where a scenery is already installed in P3D, you would, instead of using "Add Scenery", select the scenery in the Add-on Organizer list, then select "Edit Scenery". In the editor you will see that the scenery location is pre-filled in the field beside "Select Scenery" button. Simply click the "Move to add-on.xml" button, then fill in the "Name" and "Description" field/s and click "Submit" By default it will create a new .xml, or you can select the drop down field at the top of the window and select a .xml to which it will add the new scenery. I have never added to an existing .xml, I always use the default and create a new one. The new .xml will be added to a new subdirectory in: C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons.

IF in the list you don't see the scenery for which you wish to create a .xml, then you would instead use "Add Scenery", and navigate to the directory of the scenery. This would be used in a case where the scenery is installed outside of default P3D scenery location.

I also use AO for scenery ordering...in my case, because I want my fsaerodata nav data addons to be above all my airport addons, both .cfg and .xml. As far as I know AO is one of the only tools that will allow you to do this...namely mixing .xml addons between other .cfg addons. It really works so well and Oliver at Lorby-Si has given us a true gift for scenery management!

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

22 minutes ago, somiller said:

Jonathan,

I think in the case you are describing, where a scenery is already installed in P3D, you would, instead of using "Add Scenery", select the scenery in the Add-on Organizer list, then select "Edit Scenery". In the editor you will see that the scenery location is pre-filled in the field beside "Select Scenery" button. Simply click the "Move to add-on.xml" button, then fill in the "Name" and "Description" field/s and click "Submit" By default it will create a new .xml, or you can select the drop down field at the top of the window and select a .xml to which it will add the new scenery. I have never added to an existing .xml, I always use the default and create a new one. The new .xml will be added to a new subdirectory in: C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons.

IF in the list you don't see the scenery for which you wish to create a .xml, then you would instead use "Add Scenery", and navigate to the directory of the scenery. This would be used in a case where the scenery is installed outside of default P3D scenery location.

I also use AO for scenery ordering...in my case, because I want my fsaerodata nav data addons to be above all my airport addons, both .cfg and .xml. As far as I know AO is one of the only tools that will allow you to do this...namely mixing .xml addons between other .cfg addons. It really works so well and Oliver at Lorby-Si has given us a true gift for scenery management!

Thanks for your detailed response. I’m going to try this in the morning. I think I understand. I am going to test it with one Airport and see if it works and check I’m doing it correctly. 

Thanks for your time, 

Jonathan. 

- Jonathan Daley

Good Luck,

Any problems, just message me.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

Jonathan, I just had the same issue and figured it out. Super easy! i went to Local Disk (C:)> Users>Your computer name>AppData>Roaming>Lockheed Martin>Prepar3D v4. In there you  will find "add-ons" file. youll see something like 

[Package.0]
PATH=C:\Users\Blake Roark Game\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Flightbeam - KDEN
ACTIVE=false
REQUIRED=false

Which are the add-ons that are installed but not enabled. I deleted all the info, saved the file, and started P3d v4 and i was then prompted to enable. Now ALL of my add-ons work. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, blakefb21 said:

Jonathan, I just had the same issue and figured it out. Super easy! i went to Local Disk (C:)> Users>Your computer name>AppData>Roaming>Lockheed Martin>Prepar3D v4. In there you  will find "add-ons" file. youll see something like 

[Package.0]
PATH=C:\Users\Blake Roark Game\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Flightbeam - KDEN
ACTIVE=false
REQUIRED=false

Which are the add-ons that are installed but not enabled. I deleted all the info, saved the file, and started P3d v4 and i was then prompted to enable. Now ALL of my add-ons work. 

Thanks Blake, it was very strange what happened with me. I believe it was prior to the Version V4.1 update and after that it fixed itself, P3D often has me scratching my head ha-ha. Thanks for your comment any how. 

Jonathan.

- Jonathan Daley