Sign in to follow this  
t4murphy

Carenado heading issue

Flying carenado 208 XP11 edition after 11.10 update and the heading setting was off about 15 degrees to left of setting ie... set on heading 330 planes flys 315 degrees heading. Havent tried other AC yet. Will later. Anyone else with issue?

:P Timothy Murphy

XP11.10 introduces randomized vacuum-based instrument startup points, and if the author (in this case, us), isn't careful, a preset that would have had no relevance to this (as this feature was not implemented prior to XP11.10) would now cause the error you see with XP11.10's "improvements".  

Obviously, we won't be releasing an update right away, at least not until XP11.10 is final. We still don't know if they'll make this feature "opt-in", meaning, it'd only affect planes that were saved in PlaneMaker 11.10, in which case, we'd have a chance to fix it for the next release, and make sure the autopilot follows the same heading directive as the gyrocompass... if they DO make it opt-in, it means that affected planes should revert back to pre-11.10 behaviour. If they DON'T make it opt-in, we'll have to make a point to fix this for the next release.

On 11/3/2017 at 1:07 AM, danklaue said:

XP11.10 introduces randomized vacuum-based instrument startup points

I wasn't totally that was a failure or a feature, so I've reported it as a 'might be failure' on the Cessna. Now it's confirmed as a feature (I didn't dug deep enough in the release notes). I think it's good the have this option, but of course an extra headache for you guys.

Make sure that your heading indicator is lined up with the magnetic compass before takeoff.  This has never been an issue in the past with X-Plane, but with b6 it appears to be important ... as it is in real life.

John

John Wingold

15 minutes ago, Old_As_Dirt said:

Make sure that your heading indicator is lined up with the magnetic compass before takeoff.  This has never been an issue in the past with X-Plane, but with b6 it appears to be important ... as it is in real life.

John

Yes, I've discovered it the hard way by getting lost north of London :D I almost always fly VFR in small planes, don't use GPS, rarely look at the magnetic compass, and used to the fact that the heading indicator is always calibrated right by X-plane itself. It was laziness from my part. This is why I really love this new feature! Just as you say, like real pilots, we have to properly check and calibrate that heading indicator before takeoff from now on! I love that! :)

• Upvote 1