Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

"Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's"

Well,it usually happens whenever a new major release of P3D happens... While I keep saying to my friend simmers that I am out of MSFS and derivatives, it's stronger than me...

So, yesterday I decided to test P3Dv4.1 in my very same 2012 rig... It's the same I bought to use with MS FLIGHT, and has been used with several installs of X-Plane, FSX, P3D, IL2 Battle of.., DCS World, Aerowinx PSX, Condorsoaring... FSW and AEFS2... and a few more...

Along the history of my P3D installs I have to admit that whenever I try a new major update I end up being positively impressed with the outcome, but v4.1 has gone a huge step forward in this respect.

After the base install I immediately noticed that even having enabled shadows, which I usually do not enable, and HDR, the performance was considerably higher than any other version, including a couple of v3.x releases...

I went ahead and installed FTX Central 3, and pushed my only Orbx product ever ( Global ), then PMDG 777 200-LR ( the only PMDG add-on I have for P3D ) and the Milviz UH-1...

Only Active Sky and ASCA are missing, but starting the 777 was quite a surprise, and a very positive one!

I am getting 60+, average 50+, with drops to 40 in denser weather / scenery areas, but heck! I had never experienced this FPS with such a complex add-on in P3D !!!

So, and although I am going to keep testing 4.1, as far as it goes it's the best release so far in terms of smoothness and performance.

I am still on the i5 2500, and GTX 960 4 GB graphics card! 

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Excellent anecdote, thanks Jose.   I am mainly an XP11 user these days but still enjoy P3Dv4.  I haven't updated to 4.1 yet but reading your post here has made me excited to do so (ready for the FSL A320!!!).

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Yes Bill, the FSLabs A320, which I also own for P3D, was the other reason for me to try P3Dv4.1 :-)

Looking fwd for the release :-)

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Be sure to follow my steps or the other guides listed if you upgrade P3d.  You should not have to reinstall your add-ons if you faithfully follow those steps.

Steps:

1. Uninstall the Client and Content, then install the Client and Content msi's.

2. Restart the system, launch the client and reregister.  Do a test startup, check for any problems with taxiing with the default aircraft, there should be none. 

3. Close the program, uninstall the scenery, then install the scenery msi. You can then use the program with all add-ons installed, the updates, if you run individually, will not touch your scenery.cfg or aircraft add-ons.

John

John,

I did all the above, but did not uninstall scenery, then install the scenery.msi. I don't appear to be having issues, but am I missing part of the upgrade by not following this step?

Thanks,

1 hour ago, busdriver said:

John,

I did all the above, but did not uninstall scenery, then install the scenery.msi. I don't appear to be having issues, but am I missing part of the upgrade by not following this step?

Thanks,

There are a couple of airport fixes in the new scenery library, details are posted in the 4.1 release notes on Lockheed Martin's site.  I upgraded the scenery with no issues at all, my MSI scenery.cfg entries were preserved although I backed up my scenery.cfg before the update just to be safe.

John

15 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

Do a test startup, check for any problems with taxiing with the default aircraft, there should be none. 

I find that with P3D updates, there's often a tendedncy to make it appear that you have to follow a certain sequence of steps, or else it won't work. Really, chaps, its very simple, Follow the LM instructions, this only takes a few minutes to do.

Why would someone have to "check for problems with taxiing with the default aircraft" as a routine step??? There's no issues with taxiing with the default aircraft. The were issues with steering A2A planes due to a simconnect issue, but a patch is now available. Even in this situation, thtere's absolutely no need to check taxiing at a certain point in the install procedure. So why on earth do we need to confuse new (and old) P3D users by putting irrelevant steps into installation instructions? 

<rant over>. :)

• Upvote 5

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

16 hours ago, busdriver said:

John,

Thanks,

What you will be missing is this:

- Fixed missing textures in St. Louis Adams Mark

- Removed invisible objects that could cause vehicle to crash at KBWI

So if you never fly near St. Louis Adams Mark and KBWI there is no need at ALL to install the scenery.msi.