Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

7700k, 1060, and P3D V3.4

Hey guys, I've had my 7700k for about a weak and I've been constantly trying new settings because I'm not sure if I am really getting the best performance. 

In Toronto and in the PMDG 777, I get 22 FPS, with my 1060 3GB at 100% load, and my CPU at around 90%, but normally dipping to about 70%. My VRAM usage was about 90% used, so maybe that is an issue, and I used these settings. I have ASN, REX, FTX Global + openLC North America, and GSX. Anything else I should try to do to improve performance?

Just now, simbol said:

Are you OC your CPU? It is very important to have 4.6Ghz or more.

Simbol 

Not at the moment. Originally my H75 mounting parts were supposed to arrive with the new 7700k, Z270A, and RAM, but it got delayed. We are using a basic air cooler, and when my new case gets here we will install the H75 in that. I'm also not too sure how to overclock an Intel, coming from AMD after 5 years.

3 minutes ago, virtualflying said:

Not at the moment. Originally my H75 mounting parts were supposed to arrive with the new 7700k, Z270A, and RAM, but it got delayed. We are using a basic air cooler, and when my new case gets here we will install the H75 in that. I'm also not too sure how to overclock an Intel, coming from AMD after 5 years.

Here is a quick guide: https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2395509&p=1

I don't know what mother board you have, but the concept is the same.

Regards 

Simbol 

I don't have the PMDG bird, so I don't know how cpu intensive it is.  With my specs, listed in my signature, I am getting a locked 33 fps with Carenado's most complex aircraft, like the Premier1.  One thing I suggest, don't use the PMDG aircraft as your default.  Choose the A36, then switch to it, it will allow all the gauges to initialize properly.  I do get cpu usage close to 90 pct in most instances but it does not hobble my performance.  No tweaks have been applied to my P3dv4 setup, and I have 4.1 completely installed.

John

I think I fixed it. I had made some changes in Nvidia Inspector and I just reset the settings to default and I now get 40 FPS at Heathrow again.

A suggestion - P3D is more about smooth performance than FPS. If you really want the best experience, tune your system for the smoothest operation at the LOWEST fps. On my systems, that's 20fps - I can increase it to 30 but what for? Each system will be different but start thinking lower FPS with smooth operation is your performance goal.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

4 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

A suggestion - P3D is more about smooth performance than FPS. If you really want the best experience, tune your system for the smoothest operation at the LOWEST fps. On my systems, that's 20fps - I can increase it to 30 but what for? Each system will be different but start thinking lower FPS with smooth operation is your performance goal.

Vic

Yes, less is more.  The best way to tune P3d is to start conservative, then raise sliders according to taste, preferably one at a time.  Reducing texture size to 2048x2048 can make a difference, your eyes might discern a slight difference in quality but it reduces rendering requirements.  I can run smoothly at 33 fps without autogen (I don't need it with photoreal scenery) and AI at about 25 pct.  Everything else is maxed.  My OS is restricted for use only with my sims, IOTW I don't run fraps unless I am recording a video.

John

22 minutes ago, virtualflying said:

I think I fixed it. I had made some changes in Nvidia Inspector and I just reset the settings to default and I now get 40 FPS at Heathrow again.

Well done, I must say I have the impression Nvidia Inspector is not needed for PD3, there are a lot of users that have this tool and they end up with problems similar to yours as the settings under NVI can have serious consequences for the performance of the simulator specially with DL enabled.

Regards,

Simbol

Your FPS is not really a good way to determine your performance. The main point: is it running smooth. Are you using SSAA and  dynamic lighting? Not a good combo. Your GPU load will be running 100% more particularly at night the higher the SSAA is put. I have the same processor OC'd to 4.7 GHz. I do have the 1080 card though.

The PMDG series all run remarkably smooth - and the heavies 777 and 747 are fantastic.

i7-7700k OC'd 4.7 GHz,   Asus Prime Z270-A MOBO ,32 GB DDR4 Ripjaws, ZOTAC ampExtreme 1080 8GB,  Thermaltake Core V71 Case, Corsair H100i v2 liquid cooler, RM850xCorsair psu, ADATA M.2 2280 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WIndows 10 Pro, 2 TB Samsung and 3 TB WD HDs .

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

1 hour ago, Lenny777 said:

Your FPS is not really a good way to determine your performance. The main point: is it running smooth. Are you using SSAA and  dynamic lighting? Not a good combo. Your GPU load will be running 100% more particularly at night the higher the SSAA is put. I have the same processor OC'd to 4.7 GHz. I do have the 1080 card though.

The PMDG series all run remarkably smooth - and the heavies 777 and 747 are fantastic.

i7-7700k OC'd 4.7 GHz,   Asus Prime Z270-A MOBO ,32 GB DDR4 Ripjaws, ZOTAC ampExtreme 1080 8GB,  Thermaltake Core V71 Case, Corsair H100i v2 liquid cooler, RM850xCorsair psu, ADATA M.2 2280 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WIndows 10 Pro, 2 TB Samsung and 3 TB WD HDs .

I am running with SSAA and dynamic lighting, have had no issues with smoothness or fps in the sim.  I lock down my framerates to free up the sim for photoreal rendering.  Over default scenery, unlocked, my fps hovers in the 50's and 60's with no stutters, blurries or other artifacts.  In XPlane11 I have everything maxed out and as one can see from my videos in the videos forum, things are very smooth there except for a slight stutter when panning my view.  In Xplane11 I have high res photoreal scenery for all of Arizona and North Central California and Western Nevada which I rendered with Ortho4xp.

I think one important thing is to have a video card that is matched for one's cpu and power supply.  Having a weak power supply and a high end video card can cause issues, as I found with my old system.  I upgraded the psu in that system and had no more issues with my video performance.  Too bad it crashed, I was doing alright with FSX on that system although I could not run Xplane well, it would run out of memory.  My new system is almost three times faster than that system was, at least according to the Valley Benchmark from UIEngine and my performance with No Limits Coaster Sim.

I also forgot to note I am running P3d 4.1.

John

22 fps with all that payware?  Seems pretty good to me.  With my dated 2500k at 4GHz I'd be lucky to get 10.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hello to you all,

Simbol.  Whilst I do recognise that a fast CPU is indeed a benefit, I tend to disagree with the "yu have to have 4.6gz or better"  I say this because I have the i7 2600k CPU stock at 3.4 and using a single monitor I can fly at 40+  FPS

My problems start when I introduce docked screens which get frame rates down very rapidly (three screens are indeed flyable though) 

I am pretty sure I could get a better and smoother FPS if I upgraded to a 7700k and overclocked the bejesus out of it but to say that you "have" to have 4.6 or better is probably not the best advice. I personally think that "preferable" is a better word to use.

I mean no disrespect and I DO know where you are coming from.

For the OP, if anything, your GPU may be the weak spot, but I would imagine that it is well and truly adequate for the job. I am pleased to hear that you have sorted it out though.

Regards to all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

5 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Vic

Precisely. Mine's the same theory. Nothing as powerful as the OP's system, but I get smooth flights.