Sign in to follow this  
majhodge

[PMDG NGX] External lights P3Dv4 vs FSX:SE

Hi, I've been messing around with the NGX between both FSX:SE and P3Dv4, and couldn't help but notice the huge difference in the aircraft's external light textures (particularly NAV and Strobe lights). I did some reading and it appears that the lights are actually baked into the aircraft model and hence cannot be modified simply by replacing texture files. 

FSX Daytime Screenshot

P3Dv4 Daytime Screenshot

FSX Nighttime Screenshot

P3Dv4 Nighttime Screenshot

I do also believe that the a majority of the lighting is now handled by P3Dv4 itself (vs FSX where the lighting was managed by the aircraft model - could be wrong though), but why the drastic change in texture assets? My personal opinion is that P3Dv4's version of the navigation lights actually look more UNrealistic than that from real life. If i could figure out a way to change them to look more like FSX's, I would. Is this a lost cause? Thanks!

JJ Ma

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the new lighting engine, and no, there is no way (that I know of) to alter the nav lights.