Sign in to follow this  
flemon

P3D v3 CTD midflight

Hi again,

After fixing the issue of the Windows update etc, I thought I had fixed the issue of my random CTD's during my flights. I was during a flight tonight from JustSim's EDDH to Heathrow on VATSIM, during CTP in my Aerosoft A320. It was a night flight (all these random CTD's have occurred during the evening/night) and I was at my cruising level, looking out the window at some passing traffic above me. All of a sudden P3D freezes, sound continues and then closes on its own, without the swirling blue circle or the popup notifying me of the crash. Checked the Event Viewer, nothing there at all. I had lowered my settings, turned off cloud shadows and my VAS usage was absolutely fine. I have ORBX LC Europe and there was a smattering of low-level clouds over the Dutch-German border where I was flying over.

I don't know if it was the huge amount of traffic at Amsterdam but I have a hunch it wasn't this and that there is something not quite right in my system. I've rebuilt the cfg file and tweaked the settings a lot to try and avoid this. But it's getting very irritating now and I get paranoid every time I fly that it's going to crash. 

I read somewhere that reinstalling SimConnect helps but are there any other reasons to this anonymous crash? Specs are in my signature.

Regards,

Flemon

Hi Flemon,

I tried to edit your signature so the banner would show on our site.  We use BBCode embed so, if the site has a link for that, you should use that instead.  It will have at the beginning of the link and at the end.

If you have no faulting module, it is very difficult to determine the cause of the CTD.  I have never heard of reinstalling SimConnect helping but you can try that.  It's easy to do.  In the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 6, there's a link to AppCrashView.  It deciphers the Windows Error Reporting (.wer) reports.  All we need to know is the faulting module, if any.  There are a lot of crashes without errors showing in Windows Error Reporting or the Event Viewer.  Freezes rarely show a crash indication and are very difficult to fix.

See page 10, AVSIM CTD Guide on how to fix most crashes/freezes.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just out of interest, you mention using Orbx. I too was getting similar random CTDs, till a helpful poster in another thread suggested running FTX Central again. Not 100% sure if this may help, but no harm giving it a shot.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Thanks both for the speedy replies! I've installed AppCrashView and am somewhat (ironically) waiting for my next CTD  to jump onto it and see what the problem is.

vc10man, I saw your thread last night after the CTD and did run FTX Central. I repeated the fatal flight this morning, with the only differences being the skies of VATSIM Europe weren't busy and that it was during the day. As I said before, all my weird CTD's have been during the night. 

But the morning flight had no problems whatsoever and it was a nice morning approach into Heathrow! 

I hope you're theory is correct!

I'll update this thread in case anything else out of the ordinary happens!