Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Had a most unreal experience

5 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

Sorry, I was being a jerk, I didn't get the humor, peace my brother.

no worries...take it easy guys

2 hours ago, nazethc said:

no worries...take it easy guys

Thanks, can't sleep tonight because of my illness, it keeps me awake.  That's why I can't fly in the real skies anymore.  Loving the sim environment, it takes me home.

• Upvote 1

Glad to read further on all this 'misunderstanding', etc, etc got itself sorted as this thread was humming along peacefully and courteously.

Cactus521, I do hope you make a speedy recovery from the sudden illness that you posted about a few days ago.

Have a pleasant Sunday, all.

• Upvote 1

John,

You mentioned you like the Thrustmaster, but use the keyboard for rudder. As you're a sitck & rudder man who has not got around to buying some rudder pedals - hey, a good set is expensive so affordability is definitely an issue, could I suggest a budget upgrade?

I use the Thrustmaster HOTAS X. The stick still has two buttons you can use for up & down trim. However, the throttle has a big rocker switch on the front of it which is porportional and used for the rudder. I have it and it works well IMHO.

I use the keyboard for differential brakes though. That works a treat on stuff with castoring nosewheels such as Milviz' P-38.

Clear (virtual) Skies!

Edited by HighBypass
HOTAS X not HOTAS

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

2 hours ago, HighBypass said:

John,

You mentioned you like the Thrustmaster, but use the keyboard for rudder. As you're a sitck & rudder man who has not got around to buying some rudder pedals - hey, a good set is expensive so affordability is definitely an issue, could I suggest a budget upgrade?

I use the Thrustmaster HOTAS X. The stick still has two buttons you can use for up & down trim. However, the throttle has a big rocker switch on the front of it which is porportional and used for the rudder. I have it and it works well IMHO.

I use the keyboard for differential brakes though. That works a treat on stuff with castoring nosewheels such as Milviz' P-38.

Clear (virtual) Skies!

Where did you purchase your controller?  When I went to Fry's to buy mine, they did not have the advertised controller in stock, although they said they did.  It would be really nice to have a rudder at my fingertips or my toes to practice slips coming into landings.

John

• Upvote 1

In case anyone is wondering, I've hidden the posts in this thread that threatened to derail this otherwise peaceful and interesting thread. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm in the UK John and at the time I bought it, it was from GAME at £30

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Not quite the same situation, but one of my professors at school knew I flew in the simulator. The semester after I was done with his class, I was checking my school e-mail and was surprised to be getting an e-mail from him. He told me his grandson was coming to visit, and given that he was also into the simulator, my professor wanted to learn how to fly, so he could fly with his grandson when he arrived. He ended up having to buy a new joystick in the process, which I ended up testing out for him with my Boeing 747-400 because, why WOULDN'T I fly in a Boeing 747-400. Later on, when I was trying to teach him how to fly, we had two controllers hooked up to my computer. At one point, the plane was flying straight and level, and I thought he was doing a good job with it....that is, until he then asked me "Where are you going." Huh? My response? "I thought you were flying the plane." His response? "I thought you were." Apparently, nobody was flying the plane. Oops.

I think it was a week or two later when I was back at his house, trying to teach his grandson how to fly. That attempt went less than stellar, as he wasn't listening to a word I was saying and was basically violating every FAR that was out there to the point where it was very hard for me to catch up to him in my Boeing 747-400. He just wanted to jump in and fly as fast as he could.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Not quite the same situation, but one of my professors at school knew I flew in the simulator. The semester after I was done with his class, I was checking my school e-mail and was surprised to be getting an e-mail from him. He told me his grandson was coming to visit, and given that he was also into the simulator, my professor wanted to learn how to fly, so he could fly with his grandson when he arrived. He ended up having to buy a new joystick in the process, which I ended up testing out for him with my Boeing 747-400 because, why WOULDN'T I fly in a Boeing 747-400. Later on, when I was trying to teach him how to fly, we had two controllers hooked up to my computer. At one point, the plane was flying straight and level, and I thought he was doing a good job with it....that is, until he then asked me "Where are you going." Huh? My response? "I thought you were flying the plane." His response? "I thought you were." Apparently, nobody was flying the plane. Oops.

I think it was a week or two later when I was back at his house, trying to teach his grandson how to fly. That attempt went less than stellar, as he wasn't listening to a word I was saying and was basically violating every FAR that was out there to the point where it was very hard for me to catch up to him in my Boeing 747-400. He just wanted to jump in and fly as fast as he could.

I only coached the man I was with under VFR rules, nothing too deep.  Especially with the trike, first I had him used regular inputs then I reversed the inputs to show him how trikes are flown.  He stopped by today but did not come inside, I invited him to watch a movie sometime, maybe he will or won't, his son is trying to take care of him.  It's odd but people with illnesses keep coming to me where I live, and I can't quite figure that out.  Maybe because of my diabetes, they want to learn.  I don't hold myself as a good teacher because I don't use ATC, just fly under ultralight rules, not even with comms.  I watch for traffic, and that's it, I am off for the hinterlands, away from buildings.

John

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2017 at 11:48 PM, Cactus521 said:

I only coached the man I was with under VFR rules, nothing too deep.  Especially with the trike, first I had him used regular inputs then I reversed the inputs to show him how trikes are flown.  He stopped by today but did not come inside, I invited him to watch a movie sometime, maybe he will or won't, his son is trying to take care of him.  It's odd but people with illnesses keep coming to me where I live, and I can't quite figure that out.  Maybe because of my diabetes, they want to learn.  I don't hold myself as a good teacher because I don't use ATC, just fly under ultralight rules, not even with comms.  I watch for traffic, and that's it, I am off for the hinterlands, away from buildings.

I tested the flight controller with the Boeing 747-400, but when I was teaching my professor how to fly, we were using the Cessna 172. When his grandson had arrived and I was over there, they had decided to use the Boeing 737-800 because they found that the Cessna 172 was way too sensitive, and it didn't take much to lose control. That was mostly why I was trying to chase his grandson down with my Boeing 747-400 in the first place.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

I tested the flight controller with the Boeing 747-400, but when I was teaching my professor how to fly, we were using the Cessna 172. When his grandson had arrived and I was over there, they had decided to use the Boeing 737-800 because they found that the Cessna 172 was way too sensitive, and it didn't take much to lose control. That was mostly why I was trying to chase his grandson down with my Boeing 747-400 in the first place.

My friend came over again this afternoon mostly to see if I was OK.  I showed him my Xplane11 OrthoXP pictures as well as a flight I had in progress from Reno to Vegas. 

John

John,

Give the bloke a week more then sink the hook. LOL

Offer to help him buy a computer (suitable of course), all the peripherals, and flight yokes etc. Help him to select some nice aircraft and sceneries etc.

If you manage this well you could do as the Indonesians do. They chat up the retailer and get a commission LOL If you do you home work and get 10 percent you end up with a tidy sum AND a guilty concience. 

Good on you mate and keep encouraging him. He may yet be our next AVSIM member.

For me, Young Riho has departed the village with his parents for a week in beautiful downtown Surabaya.

Please pass on our regards if you do manage to introduce him to our forums

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

On 10/20/2017 at 10:29 PM, himmelhorse said:

John,

Give the bloke a week more then sink the hook. LOL

Offer to help him buy a computer (suitable of course), all the peripherals, and flight yokes etc. Help him to select some nice aircraft and sceneries etc.

If you manage this well you could do as the Indonesians do. They chat up the retailer and get a commission LOL If you do you home work and get 10 percent you end up with a tidy sum AND a guilty concience. 

Good on you mate and keep encouraging him. He may yet be our next AVSIM member.

For me, Young Riho has departed the village with his parents for a week in beautiful downtown Surabaya.

Please pass on our regards if you do manage to introduce him to our forums

Regards

Tony

He is pretty shy about computers.  When he came over the second time I loaded up my teaching program, Mirrorart, to teach him how to use the mouse.  I wrote the program to doodle in mirrored mode, so people (especially the young and old) can learn to enjoy moving the mouse around, using the scroll wheel, and using right and left and center clicks.  You can even download the program online (google Mirrorart and Cactus Artware).  It requires the installation of a legacy ocx though that's not packaged anymore with Windows (who knows why).  But the ocx can still be googled and installed, and registered (comdlg32.ocx).  My program Spirapaint is also available online, if you remember the old toy, the Spirograph.

Another friend came over to sell me a video camera for my computer so I can do video interviews on Skype.  So I had him sit down and fly the Carenado B200 over the Nevada desert.  Everyone's jaw drops when they see my photoscenery, first thing they want to do is fly over their house, LOL.

John

• Upvote 1

John,

Who would have thunk it eh??? shy(frightened) by computers.

Unfortunately, this highlights a very prevalent affliction of the ancient and elderly.  I am one of the afflicted too.  Things that years ago I would have laughed at and regarded as a challenge are now daunting in the extreme. I do not know why this is but it is very real and I am not the only one affected. 

One of the great joys to me (and probably one of the great dreads to my helpers here) is buying a new aircraft or utility for any one of my flight sims. Where it takes me days and or weeks to master the very basics, which  includes just the installation etc, and generally is accompanied by requests for help, the younger generations sail through it with ease.

We are truly blessed here because there are so many contributors who are very willing and able to help us oldies out.

So your story does not amaze me. I think it is actually wonderful that you and others, in fact, one of many, are making a worthwhile contribution in passing on our limited knowledge and experience.

Any person ... male , female, young or old should be encouraged to follow and take up an increasing interest in our hobby  I know that the elderly will take a little more urging and encouragement than the younger ones but they are ALL worth our efforts. For myself, I find that my daily audience is always young, although if I am flying everyone stops to have a look if they come to see us either on daily local business or just socially.  In many ways it is faintly annoying because obviously, it is impoite to ignore them. I find it is on a rare occasion that I am able to complete a flight without a "pause" but that is a small price to pay.

Well done you and keep up the good work

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

38 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

John,

Who would have thunk it eh??? shy(frightened) by computers.

Unfortunately, this highlights a very prevalent affliction of the ancient and elderly.  I am one of the afflicted too.  Things that years ago I would have laughed at and regarded as a challenge are now daunting in the extreme. I do not know why this is but it is very real and I am not the only one affected. 

Tony, as if more evidence were needed, how many VCR/DVD machines still have flashing clock displays because the owners couldn't figure out how to set them?

I know that I can't seem to remember how to set the clock on my VCR/DVD since the last power failure, and I can't seem to find the bloody manual now! :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator