Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

The Jetsons

I saw the video on CNN and found it intriguing, so I went to their website:

https://www.hoversurf.com/

There's also a company called Ehang184 that is doing something similar, out of China.  Batteries only last for about a thirty minute flight, enough to commute to an office twenty miles away, but I would not want to be onboard when the battery drops dead.

But it begs the question, who is going to manage all such traffic, and what if the grid goes down.  I would rather place my trust in a traditional copter or prop aircraft.  We can't have skies crowded with these things like little insects flying around, the risk of collisions would be sky high.  But I think economics will keep the rank and file from buying them, I suspect the prices will hover around a quarter million dollars.

John

1 hour ago, Cactus521 said:

We can't have skies crowded with these things like little insects flying around, the risk of collisions would be sky high.

And watch out for those Amazon drones, and the police drones...:ohmy:

Not everyone wants to fly around looking like an extra from a post apocalyptic movie with all the motorcross gear - nowhere to fly them safely - John and Bill are right - too many spinning blades of death for curious onlookers. Heck, too many idiots flying RC drones let alone self piloted ones!

It is rather a cool machine though, and i would gladly wear the motorcross gear to be able to fly one.:cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

7 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Not everyone wants to fly around looking like an extra from a post apocalyptic movie with all the motorcross gear - nowhere to fly them safely - John and Bill are right - too many spinning blades of death for curious onlookers. Heck, too many idiots flying RC drones let alone self piloted ones!

It is rather a cool machine though, and i would gladly wear the motorcross gear to be able to fly one.:cool:

LOL, I wouldn't want to get "that word" burn :)

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2017 at 6:09 PM, Cactus521 said:

But it begs the question, who is going to manage all such traffic, and what if the grid goes down.  I would rather place my trust in a traditional copter or prop aircraft.  We can't have skies crowded with these things like little insects flying around, the risk of collisions would be sky high.  But I think economics will keep the rank and file from buying them, I suspect the prices will hover around a quarter million dollars.

I've said this here before, but I think the noise factor will keep the rank and file from buying or using them in populated areas, whether they can afford them or not. Same thing with the fancy Airbus and Dubai proposals.

At least that hoversurf video was somewhat honest about what it sounds like, to run even a stripped-down version. The larger 2-person versions being touted by Airbus and Dubai will be even louder. Electric motors are quiet, but there is just no way to lift that kind of weight without big, noisy rotors. There's a reason helicopters are restricted in the areas they can operate (except for police and HEMS), and a big part of that is noise pollution and aggravation.

These things just can't ever be quiet enough to operate in or over suburban neighborhoods or city centers. I don't want to be asleep at 6am and then be blasted awake by the sound of my neighbor firing up his quadcopter to go to work.

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

20 hours ago, Paraffin said:

I've said this here before, but I think the noise factor will keep the rank and file from buying or using them in populated areas, whether they can afford them or not. Same thing with the fancy Airbus and Dubai proposals.

At least that hoversurf video was somewhat honest about what it sounds like, to run even a stripped-down version. The larger 2-person versions being touted by Airbus and Dubai will be even louder. Electric motors are quiet, but there is just no way to lift that kind of weight without big, noisy rotors. There's a reason helicopters are restricted in the areas they can operate (except for police and HEMS), and a big part of that is noise pollution and aggravation.

These things just can't ever be quiet enough to operate in or over suburban neighborhoods or city centers. I don't want to be asleep at 6am and then be blasted awake by the sound of my neighbor firing up his quadcopter to go to work.

As I said the price point will probably keep these from becoming widespread.  They'd have to be mass produced to get the prices down.  $50,000 would be acceptable.  But I just do not feel they are safe, since they cannot autorotate if the batteries fail.  My Radian glider would get about 20-30 minutes on a charge, but that went down as battery use went up, they only lasted about thirty flights, not very good.  The new Radian uses ailerons now I believe vs. rudder and dihedral, as mine used to have.  I would have to apply rudder for the aircraft to go into a bank, but it was good enough to do barrel rolls with it.

John