Sign in to follow this  
Frank Tien

Eye Position Indicator

Hello,

Does the 738 NG have Eye Position Indicator? How do we know we are sitting in the correct position?

Thanks.

Frank Tien 

You look outside. If you feel it looks right then good to go. Unless you are this dog. This dog will always look good in any position in the flightdeck

ALrCg6K.jpg

• Upvote 1

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

8 minutes ago, Frank Tien said:

Hi warriorpilot,

The photo you posted is Airbus and it does have eye position indicator. 

Way to point out the obvious.....

Never heard of a joke huh?

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

13 hours ago, Frank Tien said:

Hello,

Does the 738 NG have Eye Position Indicator? How do we know we are sitting in the correct position?

Thanks.

Frank Tien 

No eye position indicator. You should be able to just about look at the edge of the top of the glareshield. i.e. if you laid a straight-edge on the glareshield, it would point up at your eyes.

The HUD in the RW only shows the whole screen if your head is in the correct position.

Matt Cee

There is no cockpit eye position guide on a modern 737, only the 100 and 200 series 737s had this, but even if it did have one in the PMDG's VC, it wouldn't work very well for a 2D computer monitor and might be even more difficult to get it spot on in the PMDG 737, this is why they altered the geometry a bit to make it suit a PC screen better so the HGS displayed properly. Despite some people complaining about that, it isn't much better in any other PC-based flight sim 737 VC either to get the view exactly as you would see in a real 737. But, here's the best I can do on the picture below (this is based on the official guidelines from Boeing of what you should be able to see (note that Boeing do also add in relation to this guide that you might not actually be able to see the right wiper well enough when in the correct seating position to gauge this, but basically, here you go (I had to do this picture with the iFly NG since its cockpit window is the normal shape, and even then I had to fudge it a bit, but this is the gist of it, so you can adjust your PMDG VC to something sort of similar if you like):

When you are in the right place in the real 737, the nose wheel is in line with where the master caution light is, the left main gear is to the left of middle on the wiper in front of you when it is parked, the right main gear is about in line with the EFIS panel, the left wingtip is in line with just below the middle of the pilot's window rear stanchion, the right wingtip is in line with the far edge of the right wiper when it is parked (note that you might not be able to see that wiper too well from the left seat when your seat is at the correct height):

MkCtFGt.jpg

• Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

In the actual airplane with my seat adjusted so I can see down the top of the glare shield the horizon line is about 1/3 down the center post of the windshield from the top.

Forward and aft is tougher in the sim.  I count clicks on the seat tracks in the aircraft but obviously that doesn’t work in the sim.  With my seat adjusted if I turn my head 90 degrees my view is just about lined up with the aft edge of window 2.

FCOMv2.1

Page 1.40.45

In the case of the sim, I've found using the HUD as a tool to find where the intended eyepoint location

Use the FCOM  to ballpark it.. turn around to face backwards to make sure your head is centered in the headrest, then turn facing front, drop the HUD and make sure it is centered.

As far as the angle, I'd guess this is pure user preference as long as your eye is in the XYZ it is supposed to be in. Personally the very bottom of my view will show the flight director bars is what determined the angle I am looking (in the sim obviously).