Sign in to follow this  
samirbrihi

FSX Steam Freezing on Windows 10

Hey guys

Basically everytime I fire up FSX, I get 35 mins max time on fsx before it crashes. I have read numerous forums and taken lots of advice, the biggest being to not install FSX into my C drive. I tried installing it to my D drive but steam wouldn't allow me to saying there was insufficient space (I'm not sure how because I have 23gb free space in that drive).

So for now it's in the C drive and keeps crashing. I have tried tweaking my cfg file using the numerous tools out there but with no success.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

FSX is a 32-bit application so it can run out of Virtual Address Space (VAS) in 35 minutes, even 15 minutes with high settings and a lot of eye-candy.  With time-acceleration, you can fly a flight that normally takes 2-3 hours in 35 minutes.  Your Windows Operating System, if 64-bits, gives you only 4 GB's of VAS.  When it is depleted or runs low (less than 200 MB's), it will crash the sim.

You provide little information about the crash other than it crashed within 35 minutues.  Nothing about specs or whether there was a crash report shown in the Event Viewer or AppCrashView.  Nothing about the aircraft or scenery being used at the time of the crash. Whether you had real weather like AS16 or using the default. Nothing about the settings.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides guidance for all of that.  The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide provides guidance for the FSX settings.

Most crashes/freezes can be fixed by simply deleting or renaming the FSX.cfg, restarting FSX-SE and letting the config rebuild.

Hope this helps.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the reply,

I have the settings all on minimal/sparse other than building densities which I have set to normal, i run it with DX10 off.

I use only default scenery etc except for my aircraft ... mostly pmdg or aerosoft ... i have all cloud and weather details set to minimum

I will run it again and see if it gives me any details about the crash, I will also look into the guide you have told me about

My system specs are AMD A9-9410 RADEON R5, 5 CORE 2C+3G 2.90 GHZ

8GB RAM (7.46 free)

64 BIT System and x64 Based Processor 

Thanks!

If the sim is crashing/freezing at the same spot after 35 minutes, with all settings set to the default (or minimal/sparse), then the problem is the scenery or AI or weather loading at exactly the time of the crash/freeze.  This is why the guide also recommends renaming your scenery.cfg to scenery.cfg.off and letting it rebuild when you restart.  If this does not fix the problem, then you can bring your old scenery.cfg back.  Most freezes do not show up in the Event Viewer or any error reports so trying to find one would be difficult.  It is almost impossible to fix a freeze.  Recommend you run the Windows Repair program shown in the guide or reformat your HDD and reinstall Windows 10 and then FSX-SE.

On 10/15/2017 at 2:53 PM, samirbrihi said:

8GB RAM (7.46 free)

Remember this has nothing to do with running out of VAS or memory.  8GB's of RAM is okay but 16 is the recommended.  With 8GB's though you should never have an issue.  I used 8GB's for years but back in the days of FS9. 

The CTD Guide provides suggestions and guidance and I hope you do not have the impression it provides solutions to every problems.  If you tried everything in the guide though to fix the problem, there are no other solutions.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you for the time taken to reply, I just deleted again the fsx cfg file and I got 2 hrs out of it, perhaps more but my flight was only that long ... feels amazing to actually be able to use it now and not crash at the take off point 

Thank you once again :)

Deleting or renaming is about the best fix for any crashes with FSX and P3D.  Glad you got it fixed and it continues to work for you.

Submit News to AVSIM

hmm it has been a mix, yesterday i got about 2 hrs, but today it crashed on the 90 min mark ... seems like it has only dealt with the problem  a small bit :(