Sign in to follow this  
snowyuk

Scenery.cfg question

I installed v4 and then I ran Orbx Fx3 central and installed Global Base, Vector, Europe LC, North America LC, England, Scotland, Wales. All showed as installed correctly. 

I then ran P3d and set off from Cardiff, UK.  The scenery was awful and looked nothing like the scenery on the many utube videos I have watched. So I downloaded scenery.cfg editor as I had read good things about it. I set it up and it loaded all my scenery files into its view pane. They all seemed to be in a different position to the order I had installed them but they were all ticked and had no errors showing. When I clicked on the text file tab I could see my scenery.cfg file. I noticed all the entries other than the default scenery had the line "REQUIRED=FALSE" and the default had "REQUIRED=TRUE"

can I assume that this is why my scenery looks rubbish. I thought when I installed the orbx stuff in their fx3 thingy it would be in the sim. So can I change every FALSE to TRUE in my scenery.cfg text file to get things working or is there a better way? 

Also can anyone explain what affect does the position of the scenery in the library have on things. Fx3 central asks where in the library I want to put the scenery file but what difference does it make? I would assume that Base needs to load before Vector, before Europe LC, before England, before EGFF.

please advise

thanks. 

snowyUK,  i HIghly recommend this scenery addon manager its a great tool and you can manage your scenery outside of the sim. This shows correct sequence, mate all the best. A free tool you can find here https://lorby-si.weebly.com/downloads.html   Assume this is the tool you use, but just in case its a different one link provided.Happened to me I reorganized through Addon Organizer and all is good.

36999713124_1316d7e0ff_b.jpg

ORBX scenery will (re)arrange themselves within the library once you have set the insertions points on the settings page of FTX central. Even you do rearrange them by hand now next time the sequence will be a mess again.

And indeed, without proper sequencing things will not look right !

b rgds / Dick

Thanks guys.  

But i still don't understand who or what is supposed to decide which entry in the scenery config file Is showing REQUIRED =TRUE OR FALSE.

i am assuming that Orbx puts the entry in relating to each piece of scenery, but who should turn it on or off?

can anyone explain?

21 minutes ago, snowyuk said:

But i still don't understand who or what is supposed to decide which entry in the scenery config file Is showing REQUIRED =TRUE OR FALSE.

No Add-Ons ever need to use "Required=TRUE". That just means the sim cannot even run without it. It stops you deactivating it in the Sim's library editor. It only applies to a few base layers.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Oh I see. Thanks Pete, but if I have installed all this Orbx scenery using the supplied Ftx central, why does my sim look so dreadful and nothing like it should. There are no green fields of England, just large rectangular pieces of water, green tree like patterns etc and all 2d apart from some box like buildings near the runways. 

It's nothing like the utube videos of UK scenery. 

10 hours ago, snowyuk said:

Oh I see. Thanks Pete, but if I have installed all this Orbx scenery using the supplied Ftx central, why does my sim look so dreadful and nothing like it should. There are no green fields of England, just large rectangular pieces of water, green tree like patterns etc and all 2d apart from some box like buildings near the runways. 

It's nothing like the utube videos of UK scenery. 

Sounds like you are not letting FTX Central correctly set the order in which their items are located in the scenery.cfg file, which is important.  I urge you to use the Orbx FTX forum to get this sorted out for you.  Since I add all UK2000 with the add-on.xml method, and I do not use an Addon Organizer, my order of things will not be the same as yours.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello Snowy

There is No need to Manually edit anything in the Scenery.cfg file,  Just leave it as default  

After you Installed your Orbx Scenery did you launch the FTX Central control panel and wait 10 \ 15 seconds ?  You need to do this to Activate the Orbx Scenery correctly

Did you Install the Orbx Libraries ?  You should of seen a a little blue box at the bottom left of the FTX control panel when you launched it ?  

Did you try the suggestion below ? 

2 hours ago, Wingloader said:

Just a thought go into FTX Central, settings and Force Migration could be the problem

================================================

If you are still having Issues follow the steps below,  In this order..........

1) Delete the 2 file's and 1 folder at the location below,  these will generate again as default when you launch Prepar3D 

Delete the SceneryIndexes_x64 folder and the Scenery.cfg and the Terrain.cfg file 

Local Disk (C:) ► ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4  -   SceneryIndexes_x64  -  Scenery.cfg  -  Terrain.cfg

Now Delete your Shaders folder at the location,  This folder is also a generated folder and will generate again when you launch Prepar3D

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D ►  Shaders

Note: To locate the above files and folders Insure the box is Ticked for Show hidden files, folders and drives  in File Explorer Options

---------

2)  Launch Prepar3D to the Scenario set up screen and then Shut it down

---------

3)  Now Launch the FTX Central Control panel,  this action alone will automatically Insert \ Activate your Orbx Scenery again  

You may see a little blue box at the bottom left for  "Orbx Libraries"   Click this to reinstall\update  (Important)

Note: If you have already Installed the Orbx Libraries you should reinstall them again,  You can do this by Deleting the version text file located below, it will look like this  FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX ► User Documents ► Versions ► FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT

After you delete this file,  Launch the FTX Central Control panel and click the little blue box to reinstall\update the Orbx Libraries 

---------

4)  In the FTX Central control Panel click Settings and click the tab  "FTX entries should be inserted below" and Insure your FTX Scenery is Inserted Below your 3rd Party Scenery (Non orbx)

In Tools settings..........

A: Force a re-migration by clicking the blue Tab   "Force Migration"

B: Click on the Vector control panel Tab,   Un-tick the "Frozen Surface (in winter only)  option,  then go to the Airport Elevation Correction (AEC tool) tab and run the auto configuration process and Insure you click Apply when the process is complete 

Now Close the FTX Central control panel 

---------

5)  Run the Migration Troubleshooter to Insure the Integrity of the Orbx Files, at the location below

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX ► Troubleshooter ► Migration Troubleshooter.exe

Note:  If you see missing Scenery that you have already Installed Let me know 

---------

6) Launch Prepar3D and navigate to World > Scenery library and Confirm that your 3rd Party Airports are above the FTX scenery. 

Also,  Set the Mesh Resolution to the recommended Orbx settings of 5 in Options via  Prepar3D > Options > World

After you complete the above steps,  Launch Prepar3D and test.  If you are still having Issues Visit  FTX Orbx Support Forums