Sign in to follow this  
wrap23

How to monitor CPU while running P3D?

Please help me understand how to monitor my CPU's performance while running Prepar3d. If I try to open task manager or CPU-Z while running Prepar3d the sim pauses and won't "un-pause" until I minimize the sim! Forum users are always mentioning performance. How do you determine it?!

Thank you,

Don

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

Untick "pause on task switch" in options.

• Upvote 1

CPU Intel Core i9 13900K, GPU :RTX 4090 FE, RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB@6000MHz, SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe M2, Monitor : Asus PG42 UQ

By the way, CPU-Z is great, amd depending on what you're looking for it's even better in conjunction with Hardware Monitor (you can get it from the same site).

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

2 hours ago, wrap23 said:

Please help me understand how to monitor my CPU's performance while running Prepar3d.

Try installing MSI Afterburner (you don't need an MSI graphics card). Although it's primarily a GPU overclocking utility, it also allows you to monitor many system parameters and, most useful of all, shows graphs of the monitored data for about the previous 10 minutes. Additionally, it doesn't seem to use any noticeable system resources. If you try it, don't just use the general CPU setting as this just gives an average performance figure for all the cores which is usually much less than the maximum - make sure that you get it to monitor the individual cores. You can also monitor many GPU parameters to ensure that your graphics card is not your performance bottleneck

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

quick question, how much ram do you have ? I had 8 of ram, I just put 16 more and was wondering if it was ok or i should add more

thanks

Thanks very much for the responses. I'll try each of the suggestions.

I have 64GB (8x8) Corsair Dominator 2400. I don't know how much is being utilized, wish I did!

I'm a pilot that got into this hobby a year and a half ago to simulate what I can't do at FL380. I had no idea you had to be an engineer to get the most out of it. I'm very appreciative of the folks on this forum that have a better handle on the nuts and bolts.

Respectfully,

Don

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

"Process Lasso" is also a great CPU monitoring application to see all core loads or to assigns a specific task per core. Search it on YT to see it in action..

Mike