Hey everyone,

I've noticed that my old laptop is slowly having more trouble keeping up with my simulator. I run MS FSX with PMDG 737-800, Majestic Dash 8, and ASN. The laptop has a 2.4GHZ Intel i3, 4GB of RAM, and Intel Integrated Graphics (Top notch, am I right?), but I've decided it's come time for an upgrade. I've read through quite a few guides on building your own PC in the past weeks and it's a route I'm willing to take. I have a draft list of the specs that the build would currently have, but I am open to some suggestions. So, how well do you guys thing it would run FSX + My Addons on Medium-ish settings?

Processor: Intel i5 6600K (6th Gen) Quad Core, up to 3.9 GHZ (With Intel Turbo Boost)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 (4GB)

RAM: 4GB DDR 4 (X2) for a total of 8GB

And 1TB of HDD, which shouldn't play any major roles.

If it could run the game well, I would also consider getting some upgraded scenery packs for airports.

Thanks, Ethan

Any reason why you're looking at a couple of generation old CPUs?   Try and stretch to at least a GTX1060 as well

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

At the time, the 6600k caught my eye because it had seemed like a good price for the clock speed, but after some browsing I've found a few newer options for almost the same price, such as the i5 7600k, a generation newer. It can also reach speeds of 4.1Ghz. I'll browse for a GTX1060 tonight.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Ethan

i would suggest future-proofing your build a bit by going for 16Gb RAM instead of just 8.

on my system running FSX along with a few browser windows (chrome is a huge memory hog) and addons like active sky + PFPX opened, it easily gets past 8Gb used. if you are very careful you can avoid this but it's a lot less headaches to just have more RAM, and the difference in cost these days is pretty small

cheers,-andy crosby

38 minutes ago, spesimen said:

i would suggest future-proofing your build a bit by going for 16Gb RAM instead of just 8.

on my system running FSX along with a few browser windows (chrome is a huge memory hog) and addons like active sky + PFPX opened, it easily gets past 8Gb used. if you are very careful you can avoid this but it's a lot less headaches to just have more RAM, and the difference in cost these days is pretty small

cheers,-andy crosby

Thank you for your suggestion, I was questioning myself on whether 8GB would be enough. I'll make sure to add that to my cart :)

16gb would be a good idea for if you ever move to P3D or Xplane

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

They system would run FSX pretty well - not great for P3D and xp11

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |