Sign in to follow this  
rcichella

Best Monitor for P3D V4.1? Please help

1 hour ago, Iceman2 said:

A 4K TV delivers crisp clear quality and allows refresh rates as low as 25hz resulting in smooth flying

52 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Have a 55 inch curved TV at 4K. Highly recommend it!

Gentlemen, I've been second year on an LG 34" 21:9 ultrawide monitor and enjoy it very much while simming and also when working (with three windows open at the same time).
But I have recently been working on 4K video edition, which got me trappped, as my monitor, as cool as it is, isn't 4K and I definitely need one.

Now both of you wrote 'TV'. So the final question is: to buy a 4K monitor or a 4K TV (maybe not as huge as yours as my desk space is a bit limited)?
Any significant difference behind this decision? Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.

Hi Rafal,

Not sure I can evaluate  4K monitor since I do not have one. My local flight sim friends have them and like them, however they do enjoy coming over to my house and flying this machine!

I have a 55 inch 4K Samsung curved smart TV. I have it at 50 refresh rate and set 4K textures in P3Dv4. It runs smooth and fast with an overclocked GTX 1080 with 2700K at 5.0Ghz and 16G 2133 RAM

and use Track IR. Altogether it is the next best thing to advanced VR for as real as it gets.

Kind regards, 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rafal said:

Now both of you wrote 'TV'. So the final question is: to buy a 4K monitor or a 4K TV (maybe not as huge as yours as my desk space is a bit limited)?
Any significant difference behind this decision? Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.

I haven’t done the homework on knowing the difference between monitor and TV. So I’m only making this up, but I’m guessing the good thing with a monitor is you don’t get all the smart APP stuff that comes with a TV. 

One function that I found useful that comes with the TV is judder and motion blur reducer. This eliminates all stuttering with milky smooth results. (I did have to change the input setup to allow this functionality because setting the input to Computer greyed out this option)

Sorry I can’t be more help

Ice

• Upvote 1

Thank you, gentlemen, I've got a lot of food for thought now before I make the final decision! :smile:

On 16/10/2017 at 3:00 PM, MarkDH said:

You will see that a 40" 1080p screen only has 50dpi, which isn't enough. Anything over about 90dpi will look good.

Hello Mark,

I've narrowed my search based on the information you provided. According to your advice, any 2K monitor above 41" falls behind 90 DPI which means any bigger screen should be 4k resolution and with a maximum size of 49" which is where DPI drops to 89.91, am I correct? If I go lets say to 55" on 4k (which is the size you recommended on your first quote) DPI drops to 86, is that too low? How flexible is that 90 DPI reference? Perhaps 80 is a good number too?

One more thing, I'm a bit concerned about the benefits of monitors over TVs. The biggest 4k monitors I've seen so far with gaming features such as G-Sync Technology, IPS, refresh rates greater than 200Hz, IPS, 1-4ms response times, etc are around 40". On the other hand, I've found 4k TVs up to 60" with very similar prices but they lack the features mentioned above and Refresh rates are usually 60Hz or less. The question is, does P3D takes advantage of the gaming features? What about refresh rates? Is it worth having more than 60Hz?

Thank you very much again for your precious time.

Regards

8 hours ago, rcichella said:

How flexible is that 90 DPI reference? Perhaps 80 is a good number too?

Don't take these numbers too slavishly, at the limits you will find room for subjectivity. For example, I currently run 32" TVs as my main display and that means about 69dpi. I have found this acceptable, although not as sharp as my old setup. As always, it's a compromise - a 3 x 32" display is still 25% fewer pixels than a single 4K display, so there are performance benefits.

Sorry, I can't answer your other questions.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

17 hours ago, rcichella said:

The question is, does P3D takes advantage of the gaming features?

G-Sync only works above 30 FPS so would probably be wasted on a monitor running P3D at 4k.

17 hours ago, rcichella said:

What about refresh rates? Is it worth having more than 60Hz?

Again for P3D, probably not. The high refresh rate monitors are really designed for first-person-shooter games with fast moving images - 60Hz (or even 30Hz) seems to work well for flight sims.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 10/23/2017 at 5:40 PM, rcichella said:

Hello Mark,

I've narrowed my search based on the information you provided. According to your advice, any 2K monitor above 41" falls behind 90 DPI which means any bigger screen should be 4k resolution and with a maximum size of 49" which is where DPI drops to 89.91, am I correct? If I go lets say to 55" on 4k (which is the size you recommended on your first quote) DPI drops to 86, is that too low? How flexible is that 90 DPI reference? Perhaps 80 is a good number too?

One more thing, I'm a bit concerned about the benefits of monitors over TVs. The biggest 4k monitors I've seen so far with gaming features such as G-Sync Technology, IPS, refresh rates greater than 200Hz, IPS, 1-4ms response times, etc are around 40". On the other hand, I've found 4k TVs up to 60" with very similar prices but they lack the features mentioned above and Refresh rates are usually 60Hz or less. The question is, does P3D takes advantage of the gaming features? What about refresh rates? Is it worth having more than 60Hz?

Thank you very much again for your precious time.

Regards

Hi There,

I was just reading this post with interest. Did you end up buying a 55" 4K TV? I currently X-Plane 11 on a 42" LG 1080P and have been happy. I recently upgraded my GPU to a 1080 TI and have been thinking about changing to a 50" or 55" 4K TV

Would like to hear your experience if you did go the 55" TV route

Regards

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎16 at 8:51 PM, SpiritFlyer said:

Hi Rafal,

Not sure I can evaluate  4K monitor since I do not have one. My local flight sim friends have them and like them, however they do enjoy coming over to my house and flying this machine!

I have a 55 inch 4K Samsung curved smart TV. I have it at 50 refresh rate and set 4K textures in P3Dv4. It runs smooth and fast with an overclocked GTX 1080 with 2700K at 5.0Ghz and 16G 2133 RAM

and use Track IR. Altogether it is the next best thing to advanced VR for as real as it gets.

Kind regards, 

Hi everyone,

Just noticed my typo, not that it may be critical to the conversation. My refresh rate is 60 (not 50), and smooth and stutter free in P3Dv4.

A big, high definition, 4K smart TV like the Samsung curved 55 inch is a wonderful addition that is equal to any setup I have experienced or seen. The only way I expect it could have been improved would be if I had waited for the 65 inch.

Oh well, I guess I will just have to suffer with second best! My imaginer is too weak to go back to something smaller. 

Go for it. There is no negative side that I can see, literally.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Hi,

I'm also in the search for a new monitor.  Due to the more limited available space in my room i was thinking at this: 

LG 27UD69P, 3840 x 2160 pix, 27inch, 60hz, IPS, 5ms respons, 163 PPI (DPI) (https://www.monitorstore.be/product/780262/category-241689/lg-27ud69p.html#product_specifications)

OK, i know the bigger the better but ...

At this moment i have 2K 24" monitor.

10 hours ago, headley said:

LG 27UD69P, 3840 x 2160 pix, 27inch, 60hz, IPS, 5ms respons, 163 PPI (DPI) (https://www.monitorstore.be/product/780262/category-241689/lg-27ud69p.html#product_specifications)

Maybe you have a supercomputer but I'd say this is worse than pointless. You're going from 2Mp to 8Mp, which is going to give you all kinds of headaches with minimal gain. You can probably get a 1440p at 27", which would be a much better bet. And 1080p would still work okay at that size.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I agree with Mark. At 27", you won't see the pixels at 2560x1440 so all you'll really do if you go 4k at that screen size is to put an unnecessary load on your system (and your pocket) for no graphical gain. The other thing to note is that in-game menu text is likely to be so small as to be almost unreadable on a 27" monitor at 4k. To justify the extra system demands of 4k you need to be looking at a screen size of 40" or larger.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi, thanks for the replys.

My system specs : i7-7700K @4.20GHz, 16GB DDR4, Win 10-64bit, Nvidia GTX1070, P3D v4.1

This is an example of how my screen looks like in the cockpikt of the PMDG B738:

38601613882_796286eda2_h.jpg

My settings in de sim are: FXAA on, 8xSSAA, Anisotropic on, res 2048x2048, VSync on, triple buffering, FPS unlimited

FPS are +/- 30-40 and steady.  I have already played with different other settings, but nothings change, except the FPS...  but there is no significant increase in quality.

So i hoped with a 4K screen, the textures in de cockpit wil be at least readable, witch is not the case at this moment.

On 10/24/2017 at 11:12 AM, vortex681 said:

G-Sync only works above 30 FPS so would probably be wasted on a monitor running P3D at 4k.

NOT TRUE! Current generations of G-Sync work very well below 30 fps. Maybe YOUR G-sync doesn't work below 30 fps, but please don't confuse the OP with false information.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB