Sign in to follow this  
Mikelab6

Crossing the Atlantic Ocean in a Cessna

Great video.  Hats off to them. Brave guys. Thanks for posting. Wish we could see their FP.

Hi Folks,

Yep great video - watched it as well...

Just to up your game - one from several years back - here is a solo crossing of the Pacific - US to Australia by way of Hawaii - and back - in a Cessna 172... LOL - the guys a doctor and should know better... This is only one video in a series - check the guys channel if interested in more... He includes all the prep work - installing ferry tanks - testing - etc... I think one of his legs was around 20 hours... Unbelievable and probably the most incredible trek in an aircraft I've ever seen... 

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Wow, these guys are the REAL spirit of aviators. Brave is understating it when here we are in a world where ordinary passengers panic in long-range tubeliners.

• Upvote 1

There was a short lived show on tv about guys that ferried planes to various distant places.  It seems to be very routine thing to do.  

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

1 hour ago, bic said:

There was a short lived show on tv about guys that ferried planes to various distant places.  It seems to be very routine thing to do.  

Hi...

Yep - saw the episodes - crossing the Atlantic or Pacific via the land routes pretty common - crossing the Pacific near the equator in a Cessna C172 - with 20 hour legs over water - I'd guess the number might be counted on one hand...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I can remember single engined aircraft regularly transiting through Shannon in the late 1960s and early 1970s on transatlantic delivery flights. They were usually the more powerful singles such as Comanches, Bonanzas, Mooneys and Cessna 210s fitted with auxiliary fuel tanks in the cabin which were often removed in the SRS hangar at Shannon before the delivery flight continued eastwards into Europe. I even saw one Cessna 188 Agwagon transit through EINN on a delivery flight to Kenya. Most flights operated via Iceland but a few would fly direct from Newfoundland when the winds were favourable. Even though most of these were newly built aircraft, I always admired the bravery of these pilots spending long lonely hours over the ocean with just one engine between them and a very inhospitable ocean.

Bill

The Cessna 210 is a great aircraft, great video, watching it now.

John

Great watch, thanks for posting. 30 Year’s ago I might have entertained this idea in a light aircraft but now that I fly heavy iron across these large water masses there’s no way now. 

Seen too many nasty weathers and other freaks of nature to wish an attempt like this.

I like having lots of fuel. Like 180 tonnes of it. lol

IM

• Upvote 3