Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Sim always lags when approaching payware airports

Hi all,

Relatively new P3D user converting from FSX SE.  One thing I have noticed is the sim will lag as I approach any decent sized payware airport.  What I mean by lag is a mini freeze for about 1-3 secs, I understand this is probably the airport and surround area being loaded into memory but it's a bit annoying and something I didn't experience in FSX SE.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Thomas Derbyshire

1 minute ago, sidfadc said:

Hi all,

Relatively new P3D user converting from FSX SE.  One thing I have noticed is the sim will lag as I approach any decent sized payware airport.  What I mean by lag is a mini freeze for about 1-3 secs, I understand this is probably the airport and surround area being loaded into memory but it's a bit annoying and something I didn't experience in FSX SE.

Thoughts?

Thanks

What are your computer specs?

Regards,
Simbol

i7 4790k 4.4Ghz
GTX 1070
16GB RAM

Thomas Derbyshire

Can you make screens of your P3D setting screens?

At the time if the freeze can you observe GPU / CPU usage? (e.g with msi afterburner)?

• Upvote 1

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Elias Stassinos - Author of PTTBuddy - Automatic volume control while you fly / play /stream
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings - i7-8700K / 32GB RAM / Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC / 1440p

Thanks for your help, I have P3D loaded on a HDD not SSD.  I can't really monitor usage because it will just "happen" and only for a few secs around 10NM from the airport so difficult to trap.  I created the post to see if others experience the same thing.  Is this a P3Dism or something specific to me?

I had FSX SE loaded on the same HDD and this mini freeze didn't happen before.

Cheers

Thomas Derbyshire

Try a "clear" shaders folder...

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

22 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Thanks for your help, I have P3D loaded on a HDD not SSD.  I can't really monitor usage because it will just "happen" and only for a few secs around 10NM from the airport so difficult to trap.  I created the post to see if others experience the same thing.  Is this a P3Dism or something specific to me?

I had FSX SE loaded on the same HDD and this mini freeze didn't happen before.

Cheers

The issue with PD3 V4.1 is that it has more power unleashed not only for the main simulator but also for Add-on's. This is great but also problematic as it pushes systems harder than FSX as developers are now not afraid of OOMS and put more features and nice good looking and more demanding textures, algorithms, etc..

If you read LM systems requirements it clearly recommends to run the simulator on an SSD or .M2 key: https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

The best you can do is to upgrade your PC with an SSD and these freezes will be less common for you.

Regards,
Simbol

I run mine on an SSD and still get the 1-3 second pause when the airports load in on approach. its very immersion killing. I wish there was a way to fix it.

• Upvote 1

On 16/10/2017 at 6:26 PM, JRS182 said:

I run mine on an SSD and still get the 1-3 second pause when the airports load in on approach. its very immersion killing. I wish there was a way to fix it.

Thank you! 

Simbol thanks for your help but you might to think twice before dishing out advice which isn't the best.

Thomas Derbyshire

10 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Thank you! 

Simbol thanks for your help but you might to think twice before dishing out advice which isn't the best.

The advice is sound, it's your setup that is not the best. There is NO magic switch that will solve all the issues the many systems have. There are just too many variables. I do not have any pauses at all. My system with the SSD or my system with the HDD. C hanging the drive alone *may* fix the problem if the drive was the cause. You may also have some bad scenery. You may also have settings that are too much for your system.

The problem is simple - you get the pauses because YOUR system cannot load the textures fast enough with the hardware and settings you have. You need to change something - working with the settings is the least expensive way to begin.

YOU might also think twice before insulting someone who tried to assist you - that a good way to never get ANY help again, from anyone.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

12 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Thank you! 

I upgraded some time ago to a m.2 for P3D, system was on a standard ssd already, a 1080ti, a 6700k. I like to max settings, flying GA only, a lot of addons. No lags here, but also no big lags before with hdd and 970gtx with a bit lower settings. 

It simply depends on a lot of other things and settings too.

But an advice to upgrade to recommended hardware i not the worst advice.