Sign in to follow this  
Navigator43

Hyperthreading V4.1

5 minutes ago, simbol said:

That is the key and why I recommend to people to leave HT on, an user with ASCA, + FTX Vector, Pro-ATC X / Voice ATC or RC4, + PTA or Reshade or EVNTEX, + EZDOK or Chase plane, +Flight1 GTN Complete, etc. is having lots of add-on's trying to comunicated with the SIM and these add-on's will see a benefit on Hyper Threading.

We all use lots of tools, etc, and therefor we need to see the bigger picture, is not just about PD3 performance, it is about your whole computer performance and the slowest element in your system  will affect your overall simulation experience.

Best Regards,

Simbol

That makes sense for sure

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

Just now, OzWhitey said:

OK, I'm confused by the second part, I thought the whole point of this discussion was that it was hypothesized that moving P3D off the first logical processor would be good, but then you suggest that maybe this is not good?

At any rate, if you tell me that AffinityMask=14 is right for a 6 core, 12 thread processor  - with hyperthreading ON - I'll give it a try and see what happens. 

As for addon .exes - I'm not going to test with addons, that's a potential confounding factor, they can be added in later.

I did not suggest 14 or any of the other stuff you put in there - lol

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

"By default, Prepar3D will use all available processor cores. On machines with four or more cores, it will dedicate a core to rendering tasks. The easiest method for modifying the affinity mask is to open the windows calculator in programmer view, select the binary display mode, and flip the bits in the binary number displayed to select which cores the application should run on. Note that the cores are represented right to left."

Old news to anyone that read the manual.

...So that's from the P3D v3 version. With P3D v4 there's more threaded-out and more LPs are required, or with HT disabled, more cores.

8 minutes ago, SteveW said:

"By default, Prepar3D will use all available processor cores. On machines with four or more cores, it will dedicate a core to rendering tasks. The easiest method for modifying the affinity mask is to open the windows calculator in programmer view, select the binary display mode, and flip the bits in the binary number displayed to select which cores the application should run on. Note that the cores are represented right to left."

Old news to anyone that read the manual.

More braille Steve? lol lol

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

I wonder why still people existing in this myth... IF you experience heat issues, your overclock is not stable, point. Your HT on and off thingy simply illustrates that you overclocked your CPU too much, that's all.

It has nothing to do with stable OC or not. If you enable HT, your CPU core temps will rise. If you are at the edge, it might be too much.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Just now, Cargostorm said:

It has nothing to do with stable OC or not. If you enable HT, your CPU core temps will rise.

Just trow water at it, it keeps it nice and cool.

Just now, simbol said:

Just trow water at it, it keeps it nice and cool.

I prefer to use beer.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Back in the 1920s we had two CPUs and a large SQL DB. One CPU was nearer the fan and had better cooling. So we used the AM to move the SQL onto the cooler CPU, this also helped with preventing massive drop-outs in performance of the rest of the system. Very similar to what we need today.

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

Back in the 1920s we had two CPUs and a large SQL DB. One CPU was nearer the fan and had better cooling. So we used the AM to move the SQL onto the cooler CPU, this also helped with preventing massive drop-outs in performance of the rest of the system. Very similar to what we need today.

I can see users reading this and saying: So do I need to buy a fan and point it at my 386 PC so my PD3 can run faster? J/K

S.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, simbol said:

I can see users reading this and saying: So do I need to buy a fan and point it at my 386 PC so my PD3 can run faster? J/K

S.

Hehe. Unfortunately I can't be held responsible. At least it wouldn't do any harm.

21 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Wait, what? So what affinity mask did you suggest then? And why 'lol' - I'm trying to get some data here. Surely that's a good thing?

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Just now, OzWhitey said:

Wait, what? So what affinity mask did you suggest then? And why 'lol' - I'm trying to get some data here. Surely that's a good thing?

I re-read the entire discussion and could not see where I recommend an AM - lol.

24 minutes ago, SteveW said:

To quote you:

"Turning off the first LP is mentioned in the P3D notes, that would require an AM, HT on or off.

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14"

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."