Sign in to follow this  
Navigator43

Hyperthreading V4.1

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Remember to state that this is for a six-core CPU  :cool:

Sixth line of my post, Bert. And...if you've read the whole thread, which I strongly advise against...you'll note that I may have mentioned the 'six core' thing just a little. :)

Anyway, what do you know about affinity masks, huh?

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Remember to state that this is for a six-core CPU  :cool:

• (Don't tell Bert, but I chose to do my first test - this 4084 I'm talking about - based on an old post of his). :biggrin:

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Anyway, what do you know about affinity masks, huh?

Happy you are having fun with this. :happy:

I just set it, and fly..

• Upvote 1

Bert

55 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

"Who's rambling" - you. A self-professed affinity mask expert who can't actually given a straight answer as to what affinity mask he thinks will improve performance on a six-core processor. I'd ask you what the right affinity mask is, but I have this new - and quite painful - tattoo on my hand that says something about that...

"This of course is plain daft." Except it improves performance. Look at the numbers. I know that you don't like data, but now we have some.

"Why would anyone do that?" Possibly because they engaged in a conversation with some guy on the internet, and foolishly tested what he sort of, in Steve language, seemed to be saying.

Actually, my answer is "There is no certain answer in life, Steve. You must find your own path to understanding why a humble sim test pilot would choose those numbers. He may lead, but you need not follow. After all, what are numbers really."

"Alright look at a simple four core non-HT."   No, let's look at eight core processors! Or something else that IS NOT relevant. Maybe SIXTEEN core super-processors. Anything but six core, that's not a thing!

This thread is pure gold...for all our sakes, I do hope you keep going, Robert, and reach Steve's enlightened plane eventually... :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Amazing how you guys keep going on about this AM and HT stuff...

I haven't had HT enabled for many years (I have a 6700K @ 4.5 GHz) since enabling HT will only result in one thing for me...excessive heat and no improved performance.

Right now I'm on P3D4.1 and the performance and overall smoothness is better than ever and again...without HT and without any AM entry in Prepar3D.cfg.

Well, I'll let you carry on debating this while I start preparing for the approach into LIRF :biggrin:

Richard Åsberg

Remember when trying out this stuff, that FSX, FSX:SE, P3Dv2/3 and 4 all behave differently on the same system.

The big issue is that P3Dv4 is a lot different to v3 and that there can be no relationship between settings for v3 or v4 in this regard.

P3D v4 happens to work better than v3 with HT on and no AM because the parts occupying the sister LPs of the main threads are less demanding for the shared core.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Having done my research, and decided to lead off with the Bert Pieke theory of AM, I'm going to find out that he actually tried this for the first time after posting back in 1987 (or whenever it was), and promptly melted his CPU. Oh well, if Bert says it (probably) works, that's good enough for me. :happy:

Oz

27 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

84 is from the FSX days... uses only three cores..

For a four-core CPU in P3DV4, with HT on:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=253
// 253=11111101

OR.. 244=11110100  (if you like to keep the "first" physical core free for other programs).

I fly with 253 and unlimited FPS.. works nicely.

Thanks I’ll try this as well

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

7 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Happy you are having fun with this. :happy:

I just set it, and fly..

Wait, that's what ***I*** normally say and do, I'm only flying the QOTS II with this damned affinity mask because of you, Bert! :ohmy:

Oz

6 minutes ago, DylanM said:

This thread is pure gold...for all our sakes, I do hope you keep going, Robert, and reach Steve's enlightened plane eventually... :laugh:

Would be, but for the personal attacks founded in what appears to be deliberate mis-apprehension of postings for argument's sake. I'm only here to help with those stuck on the theory while others suck on it.

• Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Since this has degenerated into a war of wills - let's shut it down. There should be some good information among the posts.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors