Sign in to follow this  
twister1853

Hunter lift off problem

My Hawker Hunter does not respond to the joystick control and refuses to lift-off, even at 150 knots.  I've no problem lifting-off with other aircraft.  Can someone help me with this problem?  Thanks.

Maybe try adding a few clicks of elevator pitch?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

If Chock happens to see this, he may be able to advise you, as he is the Hunter 'test pilot', or alternatively, do a search for his very recent post on video posted on the Hawker Hunter.

It is, as Charlie suggests, probably the trim settings, which are on the numeric keypad by default in FS, or you can assign them to a couple of joystick buttons if you like. But it might also be the elevator control surface power which is affecting things. It has a bit about this in your manual which came with your Hunter, but also see below. Don't be confused by the trim control you see on the left panel in the cockpit, this trim control is a four way hat switch which can trim the rudder and the ailerons, you can switch its mode by middle clicking on it if you need to trim the rudder or the ailerons, but it doesn't do anything to the elevator.

If you look on the left side panel of the Hunter, it has a switch right next to the throttle lever which is labeled 'tail plane/lift to operate'. Most controls on the Hunter are hydraulic, but the Hunter has a selectable interconnect electrically boosted tailplane too, this is intended to prevent the tailplane becoming too hard to move when at a high Mach number, since a shockwave can be present over the tailplane when at high speed and this can inhibit its movement, so in addition to being able to use the elevators to control pitch, you can move the entire tailplane as well, this is known as an 'all flying tailplane'. What it means is that you can change how effective the pitch response is by using that switch. This is most likely your problem.

See the real Hunter manual Here for more info on what that thing actually does:

http://www.rafjever.org/hunter6pic031.htm

If you try both on and off for that tailplane switch, you will see the difference in how it handles and you should be able to get it off the deck at about 130 knots at a light loading when you've got it on the correct setting, i.e. you only really need that thing assisting you when flying the thing at high speeds, so you'll see me turn it off for the taxi and take off at 8 mins 50 seconds on that video, and you'll see me pull it out of a dive slowly whilst not using it if you watch all of the video, i.e. you don't have to use it unless you experience control issues at high speed.

Also see this video at about 6 minutes 25 seconds if you want to locate that tailplane switch:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

In all actuality, it would be useful to know exactly which Hawker Hunter you have.  Payware like

Chock thinks, or freeware, like I'm thinking.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I've tried as suggested, tail power on and tail power off and there is no difference in the attempt to take off.  Still won't lift off.

In that case I would try reinstalling it

Alan Bradbury

On 10/17/2017 at 3:39 AM, Chock said:

Also see this video at about 6 minutes 25 seconds if you want to locate that tailplane switch:

What's with the "road spikes" on the runway ?  :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

1 hour ago, gboz said:

What's with the "road spikes" on the runway ?  :)

gb.

I presume you mean the runway light textures which are of course 2D and are seen from edge on in the external view upon landing?

Alan Bradbury

I've re-installed but I now think it is my Microsoft Side Winder controller that is the problem.  I have all the control settings to 'default' and I now see that other aircraft are affected.  It's only pitch on the controller that seems to be affected.  What might I do?

Hello twister1853,

If you believe your Joystick to be at least partly the cause of your Hunter rotation issue, it might be the Sensitivity & Nullzone settings in FSX controller settings.

Try this: In FSX settings > controls > Calibration tab > Advanced Controls selected or Simple Controls selected as shown in the pictures below.

Microsoft/Aces configured the default Sensitivity and Null Zones fairly loose, which causes the aircraft control surfaces to respond to controller (Joystick movement) with considerable lag. You can test this before making adjustments by viewing your aircraft from external view while moving the elevator, ailerons and rudder. You will notice that a time lag exists between (Joystick movement) and surface movement.

Reducing the null zones and increasing the sensitivity settings for these axis will give the aircraft surfaces a more immediate response (1:1) between control movement and control surface reaction.
Liftoff  or (Rotation) should be much more responsive to your control inputs.

There are 2 ways to adjust Sensitivity & Null Zone either all at once or individually. (See below)

You can choose to adjust (Ailerons Elevator Rudder)(Throttle) individually, under advanced setting
Sensitivity  Full Right and  Null Zone about 1/5 to 1/4 Left

You can be a little more relaxed with the (Null Zone) 30 - 35

88d24396bb387e10875736c0e7d5fbd4.jpg

Or you can adjust them all at the same time under (Simple Control)
Sensitivity - Full Right - all axes = 127 
Null Zones -  Null Zone about 1/5 to 1/4 Left - all axes = 25%

You can be a little more relaxed with the (Null Zone) 30% - 35% will still be a great deal better around the middle or null area of your Joystick than the (default) middle 50% setting's

d0d564f2409c9cad68c4b578b57a78d5.jpg

I've now purchased a used but working controller of the same make as my original controller to check if it is the controller causing this lift off problem.  I still get the same problem with this second controller.  Where do I go from here I wonder?

Might be a dumb question, but do the controllers calibrate properly - full range?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)