Sign in to follow this  
usaboy

Should the Content of V4.1 be installed

Out of curiosity, should we install the content?  Reason why I ask is for the concern that the aircraft (default or other) may require the content files to be installed to ensure continuity and stability with the client (4.1).  Further to this, I noticed now, after installing only the v4.1 client that the startup fighter jet (pardon as its designation escapes me at the moment) is no longer gun-smoke grey but black as if texture-less.  Addon Aircraft such as PMDG  are fine.

So my question to the masses is that, should I install the content?  And what impact will it have on All Orbx and other scenery note utilizing the XML method that LM has beseeched? 

ugcx_banner.png

Based on what transpired here over the first couple days of the 4.1 update, the verdict seems to be that you need to install both the client and the content modules. Those that installed only the client experienced some issues.

Rich

• Upvote 2

I went ahead and installed all 3 components individually, that way the version numbers on all 3 match.  Did not have any problems with any of my addons, either scenery or aircraft.

• Upvote 1

If you install the content does that mean you have to reinstall all (a lot in my case) 3rd party addon aircraft which would be a pain if required.  Thanks.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

No. Should not be a problem for your aircraft addons, as the install locations for the aircraft are independent of the client and content modules, so their replacement should not affect the installed aircraft. Have not seen problems reported by others, and my aircraft were all intact after the 4.1 modules were installed.

Rich

absolutely not if using the .xml method and I can say that with the Aerosoft twin otter which is put directly into the simobjects folder, it still works also after content install 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

3 hours ago, rlashier said:

No. Should not be a problem for your aircraft addons, as the install locations for the aircraft are independent of the client and content modules, so their replacement should not affect the installed aircraft. Have not seen problems reported by others, and my aircraft were all intact after the 4.1 modules were installed.

Rich

3 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

absolutely not if using the .xml method and I can say that with the Aerosoft twin otter which is put directly into the simobjects folder, it still works also after content install 

Thank you but have avoided the xml method for aircraft.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

6 hours ago, brucewtb said:

If you install the content does that mean you have to reinstall all (a lot in my case) 3rd party addon aircraft which would be a pain if required.  Thanks.

Bruceb

I installed the content and none of my 3rd party addon aircraft was affected (as far as I can judge). And amongst them are aircraft installed via the add-on.xml method but also classic installations.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

But has anyone noticed any difference after installing the content module?

Now I am confused :blink: As a new recruit to P3D, I simply followed what was suggested by LM and that was the option to install only the client. I have been flying since the release of V4.1 and have suffered no ill effects. So am I now to understand that to only install the client is not enough?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

19 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

So am I now to understand that to only install the client is not enough?

It all depends on what you want to be updated. I usually install the client only, yes. But according to the change log, some things were changed within the content that I did not want to skip, that's why I installed the content as well.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

As Prosim is also working on the VC rain effect I have to install Content too.

Fingers crossed :gaul:

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Now I am confused :blink: As a new recruit to P3D, I simply followed what was suggested by LM and that was the option to install only the client. I have been flying since the release of V4.1 and have suffered no ill effects. So am I now to understand that to only install the client is not enough?

If you want the new windshield rain effects, you need to update Content as well. I have updated Client and Content yesterday. If you have own autogen it would be wise to make a backup of these files as Content will owerwrite them. The same also applies if you have replacement textures (REX TD / SC, PrecipitFX, Moon textures..). You need to install them again if you have applied the Content update.

Personally, I would always update Content as well if you have addons. In the past I made the experience with 3rd party addons showing weird effects (e.g. GSX) while only udpating the Client.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

3 hours ago, Cargostorm said:

If you want the new windshield rain effects, you need to update Content as well. I have updated Client and Content yesterday. If you have own autogen it would be wise to make a backup of these files as Content will owerwrite them. The same also applies if you have replacement textures (REX TD / SC, PrecipitFX, Moon textures..). You need to install them again if you have applied the Content update.

Personally, I would always update Content as well if you have addons. In the past I made the experience with 3rd party addons showing weird effects (e.g. GSX) while only udpating the Client.

It sounds then it's a complete reinstall!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776