Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

EICAS display selector correct?

Hi, is it correct that, if I turn the Inboard display selector knob left to "EICAS", on the inboard display only the secondary EICAS is shown if a secondary EICAS page is selected? Shouldn't it show also the PRIMARY EICAS?

Here I have turned the knob to EICAS, but on the inboard screen nothing appears:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1d6fqmwkweifpnz/1.jpg?dl=0

The FCOM says "EICAS - Displays secondary or primary EICAS display on inboard unit":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehv9ia4d5fsa5yd/11.jpg?dl=0

What should I do inorder to display the primary EICAS on the inboard screen?

James Goggi

Maybe the primary EICAS is shown on the inboard DU if both the upper and lower DUs fail... Is that right?

James Goggi

32 minutes ago, jgoggi said:

Maybe the primary EICAS is shown on the inboard DU if both the upper and lower DUs fail... Is that right?

Note the labels EICAS v EICAS PRI between the two knobs. Set it back up as you have in the picture and hit one of the buttons over on the EICAS panel (ENG, FUEL, GEAR, and so on).

Just because it's not what you'd expected does not mean that it's wrong.

Kyle Rodgers

I just looked at this. It appears that with the inboard DU selected on EICAS that selecting the ENG on the display controls on the glareshield brings up the secondary ENG EICAS on the inboard DU and the primary EICAS in the lower DU if EICAS PRI is selected for the lower DU. I had to select ENG or anything else for the secondary EICAS to bring it up when the selector for the inboard DU is set to EICAS. The center display goes blank. This seems to be correct per the FCOM 10.20.5, although in the illustration it shows the selector for the lower DU in NORM. In a quick search I could not find a way to bring the primary EICAS to the inboard DU. When the lower DU was in NORM, it also had the secondary EICAS information.

Jim Erwin

My training manuals do say if both screens fail, it is possible to get the primary EICAS on the Captain's Inboard IDU and the secondary EICAS on the F/O's inboard IDU if the Captain's and F/O's inboard IDUs are switched to EICAS.

Also, in Aerowinx's PSX,  I failed only the Upper IDU and put the Inboard IDU to EICAS and put the Lower IDU to ND and this put the main EICAS on the inboard IDU. Without access to the real aircraft, I can't confirm this as being correct. It would be a pointless configuration anyway (If lower EICAS was operating normally you would want it to display the Upper EICAS or a compressed EICAS).

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

3 hours ago, Qavion2 said:

Also, in Aerowinx's PSX,  I failed only the Upper IDU and put the Inboard IDU to EICAS and put the Lower IDU to ND and this put the main EICAS on the inboard IDU. Without access to the real aircraft, I can't confirm this as being correct. It would be a pointless configuration anyway (If lower EICAS was operating normally you would want it to display the Upper EICAS or a compressed EICAS).

So do you think that PSX is wrong and our 747 is right in displaying the upper EICAS in the inboard DU only if both upper and lower DUs fail?

James Goggi

20 hours ago, jgoggi said:

So do you think that PSX is wrong and our 747 is right in displaying the upper EICAS in the inboard DU only if both upper and lower DUs fail?

I wouldn't be willing to state which is and which is not correct. PSX seems slightly illogical. However, if you look at the basic switching logic inside each IDU, PSX seems correct. What I don't know is how the IDU system switching logic behaves as a whole. Note that pulling CBs may force certain states in the IDUs which may limit further switching capabilities. e.g. if you pull the CB for the PFD, forcing the PFD to move to the inboard IDU, you can't change the inboard IDU to EICAS (for safety reasons).

Like PMDG sims, Aerowinx sim behaviour is based on real world (and big sim testing). Both sims have been in development for decades, and I have long since forgotten what tests have been carried out and what haven't. Note that big sim tests don't always correspond to real world (aircraft) tests, but in the case of IDU switching, I'd be happy to go with either test in this particular case. Big sims use real IDUs and (most likely) real world switching panels.

Are there any pilots (or big sim operators) out there willing to pull the circuit breaker for the Upper IDU, then put the Inboard IDU to EICAS and the Lower IDU to ND? As I recall, there are no latched messages to clear, but after resetting the CB, remember that these displays do take time to warm up.

Cheers

JHW

On 10/16/2017 at 9:15 PM, jgoggi said:

The FCOM says "EICAS - Displays secondary or primary EICAS display on inboard unit":

What should I do inorder to display the primary EICAS on the inboard screen?

The FCOM is correct.  With the Captain's INBD CRT switch to EICAS and the other three switches vertical (i.e. all in NORM -  Captain x 1 and Co-pillot x 2) the INBD CRT will display the Secondary EICAS.  However, you will see a blank screen if you have not already activated an appropriate EICAS message page on the glareshield switch panel (STAT, ELEC, GEAR etc)..

What should I do in order to display the primary EICAS on the inboard screen?

The Primary EICAS Display will appear in compacted form on the Captain's INBD CRT with the switches in this position only when the Center upper and lower CRT's have failed.  However, if you subsequently move the P2 INBD CRT switch to EICAS as well then the Captain's INBD CRT will display the Primary EICAS, the Co-pilot's will display the Secondary EICAS and both OUTBD CRT's will display their respective PFD.

Bertie Goddard    

2 hours ago, berts said:

The Primary EICAS Display will appear in compacted form on the Captain's INBD CRT with the switches in this position only when the Center upper and lower CRT's have failed.  However, if you subsequently move the P2 INBD CRT switch to EICAS as well then the Captain's INBD CRT will display the Primary EICAS, the Co-pilot's will display the Secondary EICAS and both OUTBD CRT's will display their respective PFD.

Is this a quote from the FCOM, Bertie?

Thanks,

JHW

7 hours ago, berts said:

The Primary EICAS Display will appear in compacted form on the Captain's INBD CRT with the switches in this position only when the Center upper and lower CRT's have failed. 

So do you confirm that the PMDG 744 behaves correctly?

James Goggi

On 10/19/2017 at 1:18 AM, Qavion2 said:

Is this a quote from the FCOM, Bertie?

Thanks,

JHW

Sort of - it is taken from an old RR B744 engineering drawing and technical guide.  

On 10/19/2017 at 6:10 AM, jgoggi said:

So do you confirm that the PMDG 744 behaves correctly?

I can't say for certain because my PC went down after installing the latest Win10 update. Some B744's might behave differently depending on what mods they have incorporated; for example not all 744s have a Standby (ALTN) EFIS switch.

Bertie