Sign in to follow this  
Nighthwk

Legal to share my installer?

Is it against the EULA to share an installer with a friend but not the key?

deleted - didn't notice this was in PMDG forum

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

23 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

Is it against the EULA to share an installer with a friend but not the key?

Just curious why one would need to share the installer? Maybe no internet, but then how would your friend activate it?

Anyways, nothing is supposed to be shared.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, elmucki said:

Just curious why one would need to share the installer? Maybe no internet, but then how would your friend activate it?

Anyways, nothing is supposed to be shared.

I honestly don't know, he has an FSX key and thinks that it will activate a P3D installer. I told him it won't but he wants to try it nonetheless.

If he has a key legitimately he should have the means to download it directly from P3D at their website.

This is something to ask LM wouldn't it? 

1 hour ago, SpiritFlyer said:

If he has a key legitimately he should have the means to download it directly from P3D at their website.

This is something to ask LM wouldn't it? 

A PMDG installer. He only bought the FSX version, thus only having access to an FSX key and installer, but thinks that an FSX key will work on a P3D PMDG installer.

I haven't purchased a PMDG product since 2009 and that was for FS2004, but I doubt the EULA has changed much...which, by the way, you could always read and perhaps answer your own question.

Based on the EULA for the last PMDG product I purchased I would say, no, you cannot share the installer.  In the opening paragraphs "the Software" is defined as the package as a whole, whether by direct download or CD, and all items contained within that package, including manuals, etc.

Later on it specifically forbids sharing "the software"...so, no.  Of course I speak as a user and not as a member of the PMDG staff, one of which I am sure will either chime in or delete this thread soon enough.

Randy

2 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

A PMDG installer. He only bought the FSX version, thus only having access to an FSX key and installer, but thinks that an FSX key will work on a P3D PMDG installer.

Almost certainly wouldn't work.  

The FSX and Prepar3D versions are different software and the Prepar3D version will not function (at least not correctly) inside of FSX and vice versa.  Along with that, the installer will not find and Prepar3D installations on your friend's computer that is "missing" Prepar3D. (As it only has FSX so the installer shouldn't work.)

I am almost certain that the activation process also requires an internet connection so there should be no reason for him to be unable to download it himself if he plans to activate it. (There are plenty of other possible reasons why your friend wants your installer but that is one example.)

And more importantly;

Sharing your installer or product key is almost certainly a violation of PMDG's EULA.

I hope that clears some stuff up.

(I also appreciate the fact that you are checking the legality of this act before executing it.)

err   wonder  why  this  thread  isn't  locked  already,   thought the  answer  would  be  simple

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

9 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

err   wonder  why  this  thread  isn't  locked  already,   thought the  answer  would  be  simple

After a quick look at time.is, it is really early for most people in the United States which is where the main forum moderator, Kyle is presumably based. I'm sure he'll clear this up soon and this will be locked hastily afterwards for good reason. :)

The FSX key wont activate the P3D version and vice versa. What you are trying to do is EULA busting, if not downright piracy. Why would PMDG help you achieve this in their official forum?

If it was my friend, I would tell them a credit card and the PMDG website is a good starting point to get the PMDG products in P3D.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 77west said:

If it was my friend, I would tell them a credit card and the PMDG website is a good starting point to get the PMDG products in P3D.

I think that you may have misunderstood Milton's post. (I am not supporting his actions here and do not encourage anyone to do what he is proposing.) :)

He claims that he has a friend who wants to use Milton's Prepar3D installer to install 747 QOTSII into FSX on the friend's computer and activate it with his own (The friend's) FSX  license.  Why anyone would want to do such a thing (or expect it to work) is beyond me...:blink:

Either way, it IS "EULA busting" as you referred to it. (I like that term.)

Edited by Guest
Better Clarification.

Sharing your installer/Keys etc to third person is not allowed period.

Trying to install product that is meant for FSX or FSX SE to another simulator platform is not allowed as well period.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

11 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

I honestly don't know, he has an FSX key and thinks that it will activate a P3D installer. I told him it won't but he wants to try it nonetheless.

No, you cannot share your installer.

No, an FSX key will not work with P3D (that's kind of the point of having separate installers and keys).

No, you may not try this (it won't work anyway, but it would require sharing your installer, so...no).

I'm rather surprised that this question was even asked. I'm somewhat inclined to ask what his name is so that I can lock his account for asking you to violate agreements so that he could attempt to violate the software agreement himself.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers