Poppet

FTX Orbx Scenery & Prepar3D, Updating \ Reinstalling & Troubleshooting

FTX Orbx Scenery and Updating OR Reinstalling Prepar3D 

Below are steps to take after Updating Prepar3D using the update component Installers Or if you are doing a full uninstall and reinstall of Prepar3D 

I have also Included some troubleshooting steps if you are experiencing Issues with either process 

FTX Orbx Scenery can survive both processes quite comfortably follow the steps.

----------------------

INDEX 

1)  Steps to take after you Update Prepar3D 

2)  Steps to take after you Reinstall Prepar3D

Troubleshooting steps 

3)  The Migration Troubleshooter.exe  (Missing files)   Click here

4)  Problems with Scenery anomalies   Click here

• Correct Scenery order for Orbx
  • Missing airports in FTX Central
  • Elevation Issues,  Black Water
  • Disabling non compatible Scenery
  • Tree colors are different 
  • Inverted \ vertical waves
  • Reinstalling the Orbx Libraries

5)  Still having problems ?  (Refreshing the Orbx Scenery)   Click here

• CTD (Crash to Desktop) 
  • Blurriness, Scenery catch up
  • Water on land
  • Texture Morphing  
  • Excessive loading times 
  • Scenery.cfg error  

6)  Last resort  (Refreshing Prepar3D and Orbx Scenery)  Click here 

• Upvote 3

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

FTX Orbx Scenery and Updating Prepar3D 

1) Steps to take after you Update Prepar3D

Prepar3D is made up of 3 component Installers, ClientContent and Scenery,  For a Guide to Update Prepar3D Click here 

Updating each component will require you to take different actions, Some of these are Required actions and some are just Precautionary actions 

---------------------------------------------------------- 

Client:  Updating the Client component will have no effect on your Orbx Scenery.  

Just launch the FTX Central Control Panel for 10 \ 15 seconds,   FTX Central will check and verify the Orbx files.   

Additional Notes: 

• When you launch the FTX Central Control panel always Insure you Apply all available Updates to FTX Central, Orbx Libraries and any other Scenery you have Installed.  FTX Central will notify you on these updates 

-------------------

Content:  Updating the Content component you will need to take 1 Required step 

Required:  After updating the Content component you need to simply launch the FTX Central control Panel

This action alone will configure the Prepar3D autogen files for Orbx use.  Launch FTX Central and wait 10 \ 15 seconds and that's it. 

Precautionary:  The steps below A, B and C are precautionary steps which can be carried out if you are experiencing Issues after updating the Content component  

(A)  Orbx Libraries: Force an update of the "Orbx Libraries" by Deleting the version text file located below

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX ► User Documents ► Versions ► FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT

Right click and Delete this file 

26144643789_3e4485e748_o.png

Launch the FTX Central control panel, this action will prompt you to reinstall\update Orbxlibs 

Click the blue box  (Bottom left corner)  

37867373206_316ddd0343_o.png

-----------------

(B)  Force a Migration:   In FTX Central  click Settings  navigate down to Tools and click Force Migration 

Another box will appear click Start Migration,  the process will shortly finish

37867432036_b01873a67a_o.png

After this step you can Close FTX Central

-----------------

(C)  Migration Troubleshooter:  Run the Migration Troubleshooter.exe tool to Insure you have no  "Missing files

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX ► Troubleshooter ► Migration Troubleshooter.exe

26144649899_2468bf1fa0_o.png

Additional Notes: 

• If you see a message "Missing files" when you run the Migration Troubleshooter tool please see  INDEX 3  
  • By launching the FTX Control Panel this action alone will reconfigure your Autogen files and Activate your Orbx scenery again 

-----------------

Scenery: Updating the Scenery component will Require you to take 2 steps 

Required:  If you have Orbx Global Base and or FTX Trees these 2 Scenery's will need to be reinstalled again 

Follow the steps in this order.............

Navigate to the location below and Delete the 2 outlined version TXT files 

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX ► User Documents ► Versions ►  FTX_GLOBAL_BASE_PACK.TXT  +  FTX_TREES_HD.TXT

37930665411_2938907e4d_o.png

Launch the FTX Central control panel and navigate to Global Base and or FTX Trees and click Install 

Precautionary:  Carry out steps A,B and C from above.  A: Force an Orbx libraries update.  B: Force a Migration.  C: Run the Migration Troubleshooter.exe

Additional Notes: 

• If you see a message "Missing files" when you run the Migration Troubleshooter please see INDEX 3  
  • Launch the FTX Central control after updating the Scenery component,  this action alone will check and verify the Orbx files  
  • Upvote 3

FTX Orbx Scenery and Reinstalling Prepar3D 

2) Steps to take after you Reinstall Prepar3D

You can successfully Uninstall Prepar3D and then reinstall again and keep all your FTX Orbx Scenery in place and working by just completing a couple of small steps 

Please Note: 

For this process to work you must Install Prepar3D back into the same folder as your previous Install,  This is the folder your FTX Orbx scenery resides in.

Do not delete your Core Prepar3D folder after you uninstall Prepar3D,  This is the location the  "Orbx folder"  resides in.  If you delete this folder you will lose all your Orbx Scenery 

You will also notice after you uninstall Prepar3D as well as the Orbx folder you will have many other folders like effects, weather, textures, sounds, scenery and so on in the Core prepar3D folder,  This is Normal.  These folders have all the Orbx files we need to complete this process     

----------------------------------------------------

After you Uninstall and then reinstall Prepar3D Insure you Launch and Activate Prepar3D to insure you have no Issues at this stage.

When you are happy,  Close Prepar3D and follow the steps below  

2 Required steps:  

I)   Launch the FTX Central Control Panel and wait 10 \ 15 seconds,  this action alone will reconfigure the Auotgen files and activate your Orbx scenery

II) If you have Orbx Global Base and FTX Trees both of these will need to be reinstalled by following the Scenery steps outlined above 

3 Precautionary steps  (all explained in the previous post) 

III)  Force an update of the Orbx Libraries by following the steps outlined above  (A) 

IV)  Force a Migration by following the steps outlined above  (B)

V)  Run the Migration Troubleshooter by following the steps outlined above  (C) 

Additional Notes: 

• If you see a message "Missing files when you run the Migration Troubleshooter tool please see INDEX 3
  • Upvote 3

3) The Migration Troubleshooter.exe  (Missing files)

By running the Migration Troubleshooter.exe tool  from the location below,  this will check and verify the Orbx files 

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX ► Migration Troubleshooter.exe  

37933106721_6d7d79df22_o.png

As you can see below the Migration Troubleshooter will show you the Scenery you have currently Installed and have been verified 

If you have Missing Files you will need to reinstalled this scenery again,  In this case I will need to reinstall the region of Wales  

37787918682_66355ac9b9_o.png

To reinstall any Scenery you need navigate to the location below 

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX ► User Documents ► Versions

Here we have all our Installed Orbx Scenery in version TXT files.  By deleting one of these files it Will Not uninstall the product but it will just tell the FTX Central control panel that this specific scenery is not Installed 

I will now delete the Wales TXT file as the Migration Troubleshooter indicated "Missing Files" 

Right click and Delete the file you need to reinstall, in my case its  FTX_EU_WLS.TXT

37787918402_7fd6eb6a3b_o.png

Launch the FTX Central control panel,  Navigate to the Scenery you need to Install again and click Install

37796069452_9bb3ba38dd_o.png

When you the Install process has completed,  Run the Migration Troubleshooter.exe tool  again 

As you can below all my files have been checked and are now verified as good

37787918192_182f1851ca_o.png

Please note: If you have already done this process and you are still seeing  "Missing Files"  follow the steps below 

We will now Force a Migration through the FTX Central Control panel,  Launch FTX Central and click Settings and navigate down to Tools 

Click Force Migration 

37828840001_c3b0c643ff_o.png

This box will appear,  Click Start Migration the process will shortly finish

24013481268_5c866df081_o.png

When you have completed these steps run the Migration Troubleshooter.exe tool again to Insure this has been successful 

Back to the INDEX Click here

• Upvote 3

4)  Problems with Scenery anomalies

• Correct Scenery order for Orbx
  • Elevation Issues,  Black Water
  • Disabling non compatible Scenery
  • Tree colors are different 

-----------

First:  If you are experiencing Issues with Scenery anomalies your first step is to Insure you have applied the  Orbx Libraries updates in the FTX Central control panel.

Launch FTX Central you will notified with a little blue box on the bottom left of the control panel if an update is availbale

Click on this to Update

37895483392_8d46b08f10_o.png

Also Insure you apply any updates to FTX Central and the Scenery have currently Installed,  FTX Central will notify you of these updates

After you have applied any updates that are available,  Launch  Prepar3D and test to see if this step has resolved your Issue    

-------------------------------------

If you are still experiencing Issues with Scenery anomalies ? 

I will now go through some steps with you below

---------

•  Correct Scenery order for Orbx

Note:  All of Your 3rd party Airports, Scenery and Photo Scenery (Non Orbx) should be Above the FTX entries 

We will now take a look at my Prepar3D Scenery Library via  Prepar3D > World > Scenery Library

As you can see from the Image below the Priority in my Scenery Library is Wrong, we will need to change this

37834999462_7ab448de19_o.png

Launch FTX Central and click Settings (Bottom left)   This is this FTX Central Control Panel

Here we can Configure Library Insertion Points and other needed duties 

Follow the steps below............... 

37156866034_c41750b697_o.png

I will now move my 4 Add On Scenery's above the FTX entries using the Library Insertion Points tool. 

Click the little tab on the right for  FTX entries should be Inserted below    

Scroll down to Your last Add On Scenery in the menu and Click it,   In my case its "Mega Airport Dublin" 

37866277941_6705f9afcd_o.png

If you have any Orbx OpenLC Products Installed ?  Follow the steps below.............

Using the Library Insertion Point tool  we will now move the OpenLC entries below the FTX entries

Click the little tab on the right for  OpenLC entries should be Inserted below  and click FTX 

37834999262_511fb7b249_o.png

When you have completed this step Insure you click Save before you move on 

37184197203_2c7b97fa84_o.png

Still in FTX Central,  Scroll down to Tools we will now  Force a re-migration on your unified Iclookup 

Click Force Migration another box will appear,  Click Start Migration the process will shortly finish 

37834999122_07f8c32174_o.png

Moving down the menu is the Clear Temp button

By clicking this Option it deletes any unfinished Orbx downloads that might be causing FTX Central to malfunction.

Simply click the button Clear Temp,  you will not get any notification 

37834998922_34c8393fe9_o.png

Now launch Prepar3D and confirm your Scenery library has now been set correct 

37866277821_5912659481_o.png

Here is a more detailed look as to what your Scenery library will look like if you have these Scenery Add On's 

39151739404_9f608e712a_o.png[/url]

Additional Notes: 

• For more Information regarding FTX Orbx Scenery order please see the Images at the link below 

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/108487-tongass-x-and-ftx/?do=findComment&comment=975652

------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Elevation Issues and Black Water Issues 

Elevation Issues..........

If you have FTX Global Vector Installed Run the AEC tool (Airport Corrections Elevation) 

This tool will automatically scan your scenery.cfg and Identify all add on's that will likely cause conflicts with FTX Vector. Airport elevations effected by this will be automatically disabled 

Launch this Tool by clicking the Configure button 

24013481098_6cc72227be_o.png  

Note:  It is recommended to run the AEC Tool after Installing, uninstalling, activating or deactivating your add on Scenery

Navigate to the Airport Elevations Corrections Tab at the top and now Click  Run Auto-Configuration  

37866277431_ee74bf722a_o.png

The Auto-Configuration process will shortly finish and you will be presented with a message reminding you to click Apply to submit the changes

1 Click Ok      2 Click Apply  (Important)

37866277171_f442d565b4_o.png

Additional Notes: 

When you run the Vector AEC Tool any Manual changes you have made to airport elevations will be over written, and you'll have to make these manual changes again.

An example of this is FTX Orbx KPSP, which requires the user to manually disable its AEC

---------------------------------

Black Water Issues............. 

The water does freeze in winter but in other seasons this setting can causes this Black Water effect, So we will now Disable this option 

Click the Water Features tab at the top,  Un-Tick this option and Click Apply 

37866277501_3d723b5ef2_o.png

If you have FTX Australia Installed click Settings  Tick the box and click Apply 

37866278231_13cf23fea2_o.png

• Disabling non compatible Scenery Add On's 

Note: It is recommended to only Install Officially compatible Prepar3D v4 Scenery Add On's,  Check with the Vendor and Insure the Scenery is compatible before you purchase and Install 

If you are experiencing Issues with Scenery anomalies Insure you Disable any non compatible Scenery you may have Installed

Disable each of the non compatible Scenery One by One and then test to see if this specific Scenery Add On is causing you these Scenery anomalies.  When you find the problematic Add On Insure you use the Delete option to remove this Scenery.

As you can see below I have found a Scenery that is Not compatible with Prepar3D v4,  So i will Disable this Scenery and then test,  If this is the problem,  I will Delete this Add On    

37632649160_4c89cec7a5_o.png

Additional Notes: 

Some non compatible Scenery Add Ons will work but may require manual moving and editing of files.  It will be a case by case basis and should be only carried out if you have experience in this area  

• Tree colours are different

The Images below and the "different tree colour effect"  is a typical scenario using Orbx Scenery with also the option for Speed Trees ticked in the Prepar3D user Interface

By default all autogen tress are now the 3D Speed-tree models.  

37223103914_10fafed0a0_o.png

You can disable Speed Trees via Prepar3D > Options > World and Un-Tick the box for  Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation

Note:  You will need to restart Prepar3D for this to take effect 

37223102634_1c220f9dd7_o.png

If you are seeing this effect with the Waves,  You will need to reinstall the Orbx Libraries,  Follow the steps below 

37941677311_58f46578a3_o.png

To Reinstall the  "Orbx Libraries"  Delete the version text file located below

Prepar3D v4 ► ORBX ► User Documents ► Versions ► FTX_AA_ORBXLIBS.TXT

Right click and Delete this file 

37953402071_1139f709f1_o.png

Launch the FTX Central control panel, this action will prompt you to reinstall\update Orbx Libraries

Click the blue box  (Bottom left corner)

37953399031_6a2cd541d1_o.png

Back to the INDEX  Click here

• Upvote 2

5)  Still having problems ?  (Refreshing the Orbx Scenery) 

• CTD (Crash to Desktop) 
  • Blurriness, Scenery catch up
  • Water on land 
  • Texture Morphing
  • Excessive loading times
  • Scenery.cfg error  

------------

The 6 Issues i have outlined above can be caused by many different situations, different computer set ups and different Add On's you have Installed.  The steps below are General steps to take and are not specific to any computer setup or any Scenery, Aircraft or Utility Add On you have Installed. 

In the steps below I will Instruct you to Delete 5 generated files \ folders.   These are called "generated"  for the reason being if you delete one of these files \ folders they will generate again when you launch Prepar3D as Default 

Sometimes these files become corrupt and can cause these Issues outlined above

I will delete these 5 generated files \ folders.  I will then launch Prepar3D and confirm my issue has now been resolved, Last I will then add my FTX Orbx Scenery back in with one quick step

I will go through this process with you step by step 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Please Note: 

One of the files I will deleting is the scenery.cfg file,  this will disable all your scenery Add On's. 

If you have other scenery Add On's Installed (Non Orbx) you will need to either add this Scenery back through the Prepar3D Scenery library or run the Add On Installer again.  This will not effect Orbx Scenery as the FTX Central control Panel will automatically add the Orbx entries back again when we are finished.  

--------------

Follow the steps in this Order 

Deleting the 5 Generated files \ folders 

The following generated files and folders i will delete are......, 

1) Prepar3D.cfg file.    2) Shaders folder.    3) SceneryIndexes_x64  folder.    4) terrain.cfg file.    5) Scenery.cfg file 

Copy the below 3 set's of Tex and Paste them into your Windows search bar, One by One and click on the result,  this will bring you directly to the correct locations

Right click and Delete the Prepar3D.cfg file    For an Image of this file   Click here

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Right Click and Delete the Shaders folder    For an Image of this folder   Click here

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Right click and Delete the SceneryIndexes_x64 folder, the scenery.cfg and the terrain.cfg file  For an Image of these   Click here

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

After you have deleted the 5 outlined files and folders Launch Prepar3D to the Scenario screen (first screen) and then Close down Prepar3D

By launching Prepar3D these files and folders will generate again as default

-------------------

Activating the FTX Orbx Scenery  

By simply Launching the FTX Central Control Panel this action alone will Activate all of your Orbx Scenery again

Launch FTX Central and wait until you see a message on the bottom left of the screen  "Activating Orbx scenery"  this normally takes about 10 \ 15 seconds

You can now Close FTX Central   

37909895251_0f1c3789f6_o.png

---------------------------

After you have completed the above steps Launch Prepar3D and test to see if your Issue has now been resolved

Additional Notes

• It is required that after you delete the 5 files and folders you need to launch and close Prepar3D before you launch FTX Central 
  • By deleting the Prepar3D.cfg file you will need to adjust your graphic \ scenery settings again to your preference via Prepar3D > Options
  • When you launch Prepar3D your Shaders will take between 10 seconds and 2 minutes to rebuild again, depending on your computer system 

• Upvote 2

6)  Last resort  (Refreshing Prepar3D and Orbx Scenery)

If you have followed the above steps and you are still experiencing Issues we can now Refresh Prepar3D by removing all 3 generated folders,  These folders are called generated folders meaning if you delete these folders they will generate again as default when you launch Prepar3D next

--------------

Please Note:

1) The following process will temporarily disable all your Add On's from Prepar3D, it will not uninstall these Add On's it will just disable them by removing the launch entries in the .cfg files  (generated folders) 

2)  This will Not effect any of your Add On's using the add-on.xml file method.  When you launch Prepar3D a small black window will appear prompting you  an Option to "Enable" these add On's.    Click here for an example 

Note: This will not effect Orbx Scenery as the FTX Central control Panel will automatically add the Orbx entries back again when we are finished.  

---------------------

Follow the steps in this order 

Removing the generated folders

There is a file located in your Core Prepar3D v4 folder called Delete Generated Files,  by double left clicking on this file the generated content from the 3 Prepar3D v4 folders in ProgramData, Local and Roaming will be removed (deleted) 

When you launch Prepar3D these folders will generated again as default returning Prepar3D back to a close default state 

Navigate to your core Prepar3D v4 folder,  Scroll down a bit,  Double left Click on the file  Delete Generated Files 

A small black window will briefly appear and then automatically close again 

34850617330_b36e22ac6f_o.png

After you have completed this step Launch Prepar3D to the Scenario screen (first screen) and then Close down Prepar3D

By launching Prepar3D these folders will generate again as default

Note:  When you launch Prepar3D you will be prompted an option to  "Enable add-on Orbx Object Flow"    Click Yes 

--------------------------------

Activating the FTX Orbx Scenery  

By simply Launching the FTX Central Control Panel this action alone will Activate all of your Orbx Scenery again

Launch FTX Central and wait until you see a message on the bottom left of the screen  "Activating Orbx scenery"  this normally takes about 10 \ 15 seconds

You can now Close FTX Central   

37887659702_47aee9ee86_o.png

After you have completed the above steps Launch Prepar3D and test to see if your Issue has now been resolved 

---------------------------------------------

Additional Notes: 

• It is required that after you run the Delete generated files command you launch and Close Prepar3D before you launch FTX Central
  • For short video on how the Delete generated files command works Click here 

• Upvote 3