Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Investment in FSX. Really?

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

any FSX add-on can be used in P3Dv4 as well - if you copy it over manually.

Yes but don't install the effects and dll... If you don't want crash your v4, 💣💣💣

Keep only scenery and textures folders.

It is always a question of what you use your sim for. I'm a follower of the KISS principle. Why do I need to change my platform if I simply fly a couple of types some of which won't ever be available for P3D, like the PMDG MD-11? Why waste money for all these good things I could never possibly enjoy so much to equal their price. And I really don't care if I could spot the the McDonald's logo out of the window of the plane if I had the newest scenery. HD scenery stuff is all very nice and intruiging, but not the main point of flight simulation. Therefore, if you are careful you can still run FSX without crashes. As I said: keep it simple, stupid. And less is often more. I even bet that there are some FS9ers out there that use their good old FS2004 more realistically than some of the P3D cheer squads.

• Upvote 3

Best regards,

Christian Kelter

Seems like this thread has run its course.  I'm happy for all simmers who love the sims they fly.  My ONLY point was it seems that FSX and today's computers would be a happier marriage if they were both running in 64 bit.  To me, that is the future. and I applaud it.  If you are happy with several sims on your computer and you like to switch among them, more power to you.  Enjoy what you enjoy.  I never meant to preach to anyone as to what they should do.  For me, I'm devoting my money and my energy to Prepar3v 4.1 64 bit simming, because I truly believe that is the future of simming.   

I'm also getting up at 3AM on October 27th to order the new IPhone X.  Call me a technology geek, because I truly fit that description.  I live for the future of technology.  My old iPhone works great, but I'm  ready to replace it.

Thanks,

Stan

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, spilok said:

Seems like this thread has run its course.  I'm happy for all simmers who love the sims they fly. 

Well in all fairness this is the typical anatomy of a thread where someone switches sims then posts in the forum of the sim they switched from and says that they've gone to X sim, for whatever reason applied to them, and am either surprised anyone else is still using the older sim.

Then you get users jumping in to defend or give the reason they are on the sim that you switched from and the back and fourth begins.

I remember it all too well from the FS9 to FSX days. Someone would stop using FS9, move to FSX, then open a post in the FS9 forum telling everyone how great FSX was and asking how or why anyone was still using FS9.

I'm sure that your post wasn't intentionally started as a way to stir the pot so to speak, but for some users they might wonder why you started the thread in the first place, as someone else noted.

Anyway, no harm, no foul. There are still plenty of people plodding away on FS9, FSX and other sims to give enjoyment to for all users.

• Upvote 3

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, spilok said:

If you are happy with several sims on your computer and you like to switch among them, more power to you.  Enjoy what you enjoy.

+1

Greg

I'm staying with FSX, why should I fork out more cash on a sim that doesn't offer me anything better IMO? I also use DCS & X-plane.

P3D doesn't offer automatic updates like ie. DCS, you have to install your add-ons 2-3 times per year all over again, it takes like a week or so....what a headache :blink:. With this structure it will never be the future. Imaging re-installing your sim in 2027 again & again & again :ohmy:. It won't hold, I've seen several complains about it from the younger generation on reddit & they are are switching back. That's why P3D is NOT a secure investment for the future.

And to OP if you "live for the future of technology" it amazes me you haven't at least tried X-plane.

• Upvote 1

The less success of xplane is coming from editors.

For editors, the problem is piracy and it is very easy to do it in Xplane because of no compilation of sceneries.

So the greatest editor Orbx, don't follow what I think too, the best sim actualy done. And most simmers switching to p3dv4 because keeping orbx sceneries (as me) and to keep their invests.

43 minutes ago, Skysurfer7 said:

you have to install your add-ons 2-3 times per year all over again, it takes like a week or so....what a headache :blink:.

Your are right, boring me a lot, progressively LM make it easier but is very far of the dream of xplane for automatic upgrading.

Each day, I skype with a friend... For him installation again is a part of his pleasure.

I have the two sims and happy so... Each one is way of course.

6 hours ago, Skysurfer7 said:

P3D doesn't offer automatic updates like ie. DCS, you have to install your add-ons 2-3 times per year all over again, it takes like a week or so....what a headache :blink:.

Oh I didn't know that fact about P3D! Sounds like an absolute pain and certainly makes a move to P3D look much less attractive to me 😕.

Bill

6 hours ago, Skysurfer7 said:

you have to install your add-ons 2-3 times per year all over again, it takes like a week or so....what a headache

This is not generally true: usually all that is required is to update the client as per the instructions and that leaves all your addons intact.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, skelsey said:

This is not generally true: usually all that is required is to update the client as per the instructions and that leaves all your addons intact.

Correct for the core sim, but I think the poster refer to the re-installation of add-ons when the inevitable compatibility issue arises.  The solution is to build your add-ons sceneries using the add-on.xml method and then there is no reinstallation required.  Not for everyone, but it works.  Also nobody should be updating P3D unless they have a good reason to.  If a version works well for you why give in to the impulse of jumping in on the latest?  The nightmare scenarios is that your sim has hundred of add-on airports, all the ORBX offerings, more than 10 different planes, ASE weather, Global mesh etc., and when a crash occurs or the sim no longer works you will be really in a difficult spot to know where the problem is.  The appeal of P3Dv4 with 64 bit is that the above scenario will no longer produce OOM, whether it all perform or not is another question.  

• Upvote 1

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

22 hours ago, spilok said:

Seems like this thread has run its course. 

Straight from the OP's thoughts!  Let's close this and move one.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10