Sign in to follow this  
eXpress48

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and CTD

5 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

Windows 10 is a vile piece of garbage.... that is utterly horrible for gaming.

Based on what? I use Windows 10, fully updated, for gaming (racing games and various flight sims) and have no issues with it at all. Coming reluctantly from Windows 7, I'd say that Windows 10 is at least as good, if not better. Many gaming web sites also seem to think that Win 10 is the best OS for gaming - example here: https://laptop.ninja/the-best-operating-systems-for-pc-gaming/.

• Upvote 2

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Same here. Never had a more stable and fast system than with Windows 10. Also never had any issue clearly related to W10 so far, usually it is something else. If there is a software issue due to W10 you could also ask the question: is it really the fault of W10 if a software is not fully compatible with it more than a year after the release? I would say no. In such scenarios, you should rather blame the developer of the software not working properly with W10 instead of the OS...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Well guys, YMMV...... BUT, many hardcore gamers despise it, if only as it updates without asking you.

The most recent update, downloaded massive changes, installed a new graphics driver and reset all my nVidia inspector profiles. I had to reset the aforementioned settings for around a dozen games.

It is similar to the way Rockstar force updates in GTA V, breaking the Open V system each time, rendering your entire mod collection, useless. I uninstalled it and will never give Rockstar another dime. (Some say, thry did it deliberately, ad they they didnt like the fact that the modders made it a better game than they ever could).

Now, many people have never heard of nVidia inspector, or mods..... to them, they probably don't even notice. Personally, and many other simmers, including Nick and Co., over at SF, all agree, that Windows 10 takes over your system, and if it bites..... it bites ! Latest update rendered FSX useless for me, and many others.... and P3D v3, as 32 bit programs are scuppered - Google "Error creating child windows"....... !

Nuff said. Many people have been left unable to run FSX.

Hence my reason for being forced to switch to P3D v4 next week.

I cannot go back to Windows 7 ..... wish I could ..... as I have Kabylake, which creates even more problems.

As I said, if you have a simple installation consisting of basic games and 64 bit sims, you may still be OK. But mark my word, your day will come..... Windows will update out of the blue, and balk something...... and then, you will know that I am correct in my assertion, that Windows 10 is the worse thing to happen to gaming, since Vista.

Ouch, I feel dirty. Going for a shower.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

As I said, if you have a simple installation consisting of basic games and 64 bit sims, you may still be OK. But mark my word, your day will come...

I need to set the record straight here. I really do feel sorry that you're having problems with Windows 10 but to try to make out that anyone who doesn't has "a simple installation consisting of basic games and 64 bit sims" is simply not accurate. I have more 32-bit sims (not basic, either - FSX with lots of add-ons, Wings Over Flanders Fields, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover) than 64-bit and they all still work normally after the 1709 update. Microsoft has admitted that the update can cause problems, but only for some users - you're clearly one of those affected. Those of us not affected are likely to remain so - it's not that we just haven't noticed it!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

10 hours ago, AnkH said:

Same here. Never had a more stable and fast system than with Windows 10. Also never had any issue clearly related to W10 so far, usually it is something else. If there is a software issue due to W10 you could also ask the question: is it really the fault of W10 if a software is not fully compatible with it more than a year after the release? I would say no. In such scenarios, you should rather blame the developer of the software not working properly with W10 instead of the OS...

The same could be said of any add-on software prior to the Windows 10 update/s that caused these issues to start in the first place. No one was having any issues for more than a year then BAM!

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

Some features of Windows 10:

Data syncing is by default enabled.
Browsing history and open websites.
Apps settings.
WiFi hotspot names and passwords.
Your device is by default tagged with a unique advertising ID.
Used to serve you with personalized advertisements by third-party advertisers and ad networks.
Cortana can collect any of your data.
Your keystrokes, searches and mic input.
Calendar data.
Music you listen to.
Credit Card information.
Purchases.
Microsoft can collect any personal data.
Your identity.
Passwords.
Demographics.
Interests and habits.
Usage data.
Contacts and relationships.
Location data.
Content like emails, instant messages, caller list, audio and video recordings.
Your data can be shared.
When downloading Windows 10, you are authorizing Microsoft to share any of above mentioned data with any third-party, with or without your consent.

http://thehackernews.com/2016/02/microsoft-windows10-privacy.html
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150820/06171332012/windows-10-reserves-right-to-block-pirated-games-unauthorized-hardware.shtml

(Courtesy of: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3346553/intel-7th-gen-support-windows.html)

And look at the PMDG forum here on AVSIM..... many people have not been able to use their 150 dollar 747 v3 in FSX since September.

Yeah right.... the greatest Operating System ever created.

Oh please.

For media integration, controlling your life and synching with everything and everyone (including Microsoft !), it is very good indeed. But for running complex sims and games ?

Maybe if you were still running FSX you would feel differently huh ? Not much of a principle really. You are just lucky, thus far, that you haven't been affected by it.

• Upvote 1

Windows 10 = Secure Computing

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

4 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

When downloading Windows 10, you are authorizing Microsoft to share any of above mentioned data with any third-party, with or without your consent.

Do you seriously think that all of this data hasn't already been available to many other companies for years? That's the price you pay for everyday use of the Internet, search engines and social media. Windows 10 isn't the first version of the OS to collect data from your system, it's just the most open about doing so. Whether you believe it or not, this is the official line from MS:

"We collect a limited amount of information to help us provide a secure and reliable experience. This includes data like an anonymous device ID, device type, and application crash data which Microsoft and our developer partners use to continuously improve application reliability. This doesn't include any of your content or files, and we take several steps to avoid collecting any information that directly identifies you, such as your name, email address or account ID."

Even in one of the links you provided the website (not MS) says of its testing: "However, based on these logs, it would be inaccurate to say that Windows 10 is sending your personal data to Microsoft's servers." One of your other links quotes MS as saying: "No query or search usage data is sent to Microsoft, in accordance with the customer's chosen privacy settings. This also applies to searching offline for items such as apps, files and settings on the device."  The website posting the article (again, not MS) then goes on to say: "This is consistent with what we saw (there is no query or search data transmitted)".

I suspect that you'd have the biggest class action lawsuit in history if hard evidence emerged that MS was actually collecting your personal data after specifically saying that they don't.