Sign in to follow this  
pilot100ll

Add-on requirements request

After posting the request below, I was quickly reprimanded that I am not allowed to ask questions in the how to/tips & tricks forum. So I will repost here the same. I was under the impression that the original forum I posted to was a group that offered tips and tricks and how to advice for the questions asked. My apologies for not understanding the "rules" of the forum and interpreting them as I saw them. Anyway....

Hello All,

I have been steadily building my simulator step by step and consulting the Avsim forum for advice. Your input does mean a lot to me and has been ever so valuable. I am having concerns about the many add-on's out there and how they actually are used during a flight. Here's what I mean....

I have only Prepar3d V4 installed on my system. All my settings are "default" settings. I have added the following add-on's:

FTX Central

ORBX Global Range, ORBX North America, ORBX Trees, ORBX Vector

Megasceneryearth / Ohio - (absolutely hate it) and will soon have uninstalled it. A huge waste of $$$$

VOXATC

I have looked over almost every YouTube video to see how to configure ORBX to work in P3Dv4. It seems rather simple as long as I let the FTX Central do its thing. Once the FTX Central installer finishes, do I need to do anything by means of changing the settings in P3Dv4? I mean, do I need to go to the P3Dv4 settings screens and change the settings so that the new scenery/textures etc will load when I start my flight? Currently (even though my paid ORBX products are installed), my current scenery seems very "non-realistic" instead of similar to the screenshots and videos I've seen of others that have the same add-on's. Do I have to turn off the default P3Dv4 scenery checkmarks in the settings? Do I need to put the ORBX scenery on the settings page to the #1 spot? I have no clue what to do.

I have read that I should use a Tweak Assistant. I hesitate using this because I have a gut feel that it does not need to be used with v4. Is that true? I've also read that ORBX is still in beta for P3Dv4 and that's why some airports are not as detailed as others.

I am looking to fly G-A only. I care about pilotage and correct ground references. I also want the realism. Some videos I've seen are spectacular. I thought Megasceneryearth was my answer. Unfortunately, to me it proved too "hokey". It was like flying over a "picture" of the ground. That's just my opinion and not meant to bash the program but I feel it could be so much better.

I haven't noticed much of an improvement using ORBX vs the default of P3Dv4 stock scenery. A little maybe, but nothing close to the real thing. I am thinking I need to tweak my settings or move files to get it to where I need to be as realistic as possible. I was hoping someone out there might be able to point me in the right direction or at least advise me that my expectations are too high.

Lastly, I was looking into ActiveSky and Rex. Would anyone offer feedback as to how these will affect my sim experience?

Thanks JP

I7-6700

32GB Ram

Nvidia Titan XP

Windows 10 64 bit

All Saitek controls

Xtop pro panel

(3) Dell U3415W monitors

23 minutes ago, pilot100ll said:

After posting the request below, I was quickly reprimanded that I am not allowed to ask questions in the how to/tips & tricks forum. So I will repost here the same. I was under the impression that the original forum I posted to was a group that offered tips and tricks and how to advice for the questions asked. My apologies for not understanding the "rules" of the forum and interpreting them as I saw them. Anyway....

Hello All,

I have been steadily building my simulator step by step and consulting the Avsim forum for advice. Your input does mean a lot to me and has been ever so valuable. I am having concerns about the many add-on's out there and how they actually are used during a flight. Here's what I mean....

I have only Prepar3d V4 installed on my system. All my settings are "default" settings. I have added the following add-on's:

FTX Central

ORBX Global Range, ORBX North America, ORBX Trees, ORBX Vector

Megasceneryearth / Ohio - (absolutely hate it) and will soon have uninstalled it. A huge waste of $$$$

VOXATC

I have looked over almost every YouTube video to see how to configure ORBX to work in P3Dv4. It seems rather simple as long as I let the FTX Central do its thing. Once the FTX Central installer finishes, do I need to do anything by means of changing the settings in P3Dv4? I mean, do I need to go to the P3Dv4 settings screens and change the settings so that the new scenery/textures etc will load when I start my flight? Currently (even though my paid ORBX products are installed), my current scenery seems very "non-realistic" instead of similar to the screenshots and videos I've seen of others that have the same add-on's. Do I have to turn off the default P3Dv4 scenery checkmarks in the settings? Do I need to put the ORBX scenery on the settings page to the #1 spot? I have no clue what to do.

I have read that I should use a Tweak Assistant. I hesitate using this because I have a gut feel that it does not need to be used with v4. Is that true? I've also read that ORBX is still in beta for P3Dv4 and that's why some airports are not as detailed as others.

I am looking to fly G-A only. I care about pilotage and correct ground references. I also want the realism. Some videos I've seen are spectacular. I thought Megasceneryearth was my answer. Unfortunately, to me it proved too "hokey". It was like flying over a "picture" of the ground. That's just my opinion and not meant to bash the program but I feel it could be so much better.

I haven't noticed much of an improvement using ORBX vs the default of P3Dv4 stock scenery. A little maybe, but nothing close to the real thing. I am thinking I need to tweak my settings or move files to get it to where I need to be as realistic as possible. I was hoping someone out there might be able to point me in the right direction or at least advise me that my expectations are too high.

Lastly, I was looking into ActiveSky and Rex. Would anyone offer feedback as to how these will affect my sim experience?

Thanks JP

I7-6700

32GB Ram

Nvidia Titan XP

Windows 10 64 bit

All Saitek controls

Xtop pro panel

(3) Dell U3415W monitors

Hi JP,

No worries - it's always better to post a new thread on an issue - unless you're having the same exact issue someone else reported...

Sorry about Mega Scenery - I think I mentioned I'm not a fan of photoreal...

• ORBX Global Range - globally replaces all default textures.
  • ORBX North America (LC) - makes more accurate placement of landclass tiles and includes some new textures... 
  • ORBX Trees - yep - trees...
  • ORBX Vector - accurate coastlines, roads, railroads, rivers...

That sounds like what you would want... FTX Central if working properly should have made the installs a breeze and dramatically improved the look of the sim...

A picture is worth a thousand words - could you post a picture of what you're seeing so we can better diagnose your issue ?

You probably want PTA (now payware) as this adds new shaders to the sim that takes the dull and lifeless default world - and dramatically brightens it up as if a real sun was shining in your virtual world - it's truly like night and day differences... It is needed in all versions of P3D in my humble opinion...

For sky improvements - my personal favorite mix is (Active Sky, ASCA, ENVTEX, and PTA)... I have REX and it looks good but you lose the dynamic capability in Active Sky when using them... ENXTEX is fully compatible with Active Sky...

As you're learning it can be pretty expensive getting up to speed in this hobby... If cost is a factor - Christmas usually offers substantial discounts on many products...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Scott, Thanks for the feedback. As always it's a joy to know that forums are avenues for help.

I have never used PTA. How difficult is it to set up?

I guess my biggest concern is; do the add on's you suggest install themselves after downloading or do I need to move files around and change extensions etc...? I am not a programmer or even that computer saavy. Any advice on how to set these things up would be most appreciated. Maybe point me to a link to save on typing.

I will get Activesky and ENVTEX along with PTA. Im just not sure what to do after I download them if there is not an auto installer.

JP

13 minutes ago, pilot100ll said:

Scott, Thanks for the feedback. As always it's a joy to know that forums are avenues for help.

I have never used PTA. How difficult is it to set up?

I guess my biggest concern is; do the add on's you suggest install themselves after downloading or do I need to move files around and change extensions etc...? I am not a programmer or even that computer saavy. Any advice on how to set these things up would be most appreciated. Maybe point me to a link to save on typing.

I will get Activesky and ENVTEX along with PTA. Im just not sure what to do after I download them if there is not an auto installer.

JP

Hi JP,

All good - yeah - starting from zero this can be a bit overwhelming - many of us have been doing this since monochrome monitors so it becomes second nature... We'll get you through it...

I'm still on P3Dv3 - so PTA was free - in P3Dv4 it's payware - I would assume they include instructions and/or an installer... The gist is you load preconfigured profiles into PTA once the program is installed... I would assume the package comes with some profiles for ease of installation... PTA gives you a thousand things to tweak - but - I've only loaded other peoples profiles... If you search around - many people share them and post screenshots of them in use.. So it's just a matter of finding something you like... If you plan on flying at night - you might have to switch between profiles to get something you like - those that work during the day - might not look that good at night and visa versa..

ENVTEX includes an installer - after install you start the program and select the options you want - including "use with Active Sky" - it then copies the appropriate textures into AS...

PTA and ENVTEX are used outside the sim - only when you want to change something...

AS and ASCA (include installers) are run when you run with the sim every time you fly...

Regards,

Scott

That advice helps a lot. I will load things and get as far as I can. Hopefully it won't be too overwhelming.

Regards

JP

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, pilot100ll said:

That advice helps a lot. I will load things and get as far as I can. Hopefully it won't be too overwhelming.

Regards

JP

Hi JP,

One final suggestion - when you get around to planes - since you seem GA orientated like me - the current best GA plane out there is the A2A Comanche - if you can buy only one - it's probably the one you want...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

I have the A2A Cessna 172. The Comanche is better? I'll have to check it out. Thanks for your advice. It's nice to know there's another enthusiast that wants to help another private pilot.

JP

Hi JP,

I'd love to hear your opinion on the C172 - I don't have it (I have the Skylane, Cherokee, and Comanche)... I'm not completely happy with the way their C182 flies and I have some limited real world experience in type to compare it to - it's far too unstable in takeoff and landing... In my humble opinion - they did much better with the flight models on their low wing GA offerings... The Comanche did a very good job at simulating a bird with a great deal of horsepower up front - it's not a trainer - my first time using it was truly eye opening...

Regards,
Scott

My experience is mostly in real world aviation in the Cessna 150, 152, and 172 trainers. Things come at you real quick in the air as I'm sure you know as compared to simulation. I have noticed that the simulator version is a little slower to react. Not much though. I also noticed that if I set the realism to high, the realism is almost to the extreme, almost like those situations could almost never happen. For example: if I set P-factor to high, the plane almost spins around the propeller, or if I set rudder control, it's as if I have hurricane winds on my tail at a crosswind. All in all it's OK but nothing like the real flight.

My sole purpose is to create a simulator as real as I can to fly at home and stay as current as I can. I rent the aircraft I fly and the locations are about an hour away so that keeps me on the ground most of the time. I also am from the Cleveland, Ohio area. If you know anything about this side of town its that the weather is very unpredictable. One minute its clear and then Lake Erie brews up a storm out of nowhere. Most times a VFR flight is stopped enroute to your destination. I do not have IFR certification and that's what keeps me grounded. Sure I've thought about it and believe I would be a great IFR pilot, but as I am not in the aviation career field, staying current is not only expensive but a waste if you don't have a use for it. I would trade my soul for a career in aviation. I've said that since I was young, but my parents chose a different career path for me and to be honest I regret not having the backbone to force the career I truly wanted. Now at nearly 50, my love of flying has to be for fun. It's a real drag having a career that you hate.

Getting backon topic, I will try the aircraft you suggest. I just wanted to fly what I can get my hands on. I don't like the taildraggers, but its like saying I don't like motorcyles vs mopeds if you know what I mean. I love to fly and take every opportunity to do so when I can. My simulator is as good as I can make it without breaking the bank.

Keep Flying and enjoy

JP

Question: When it comes to ORBX, should I un-check all the scenery settings that are default to Prepar3d V4 and only check the ORBX scenery files? and secondly do the ORBX scenery files need to be ranked 1, 2, 3, 4 etc in the p3d settings page?

Hi guys,

I am also GA pilot and with real world experience in Cessnas (150, 152 and 172) and I like A2A planes. However, even though their flight model is great, I have some issues with it. Some things feel little bit scripted to me, I don't know how to describe that feeling.

Recently I have tried Just Flight PA-28R Arrow III, and honestly, if we are talking about flight model, I think this is the best GA plane available right now. It feels more natural to me.

I think, that you should check it out.

Regards

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

14 hours ago, pilot100ll said:

Question: When it comes to ORBX, should I un-check all the scenery settings that are default to Prepar3d V4 and only check the ORBX scenery files? and secondly do the ORBX scenery files need to be ranked 1, 2, 3, 4 etc in the p3d settings page?

Hi JP, I don't believe you need to do any of that and in the beginning it is safer not to.

Open up FTX central and it will do it for you. Go to the settings button at the bottom and then you will see mid page the library insertion points the default is all you need for now as it sort the scenery file properly save and exit.

BTW if you haven't done so you should open each category of scenery you download in ORBX and use their control panel to set it up just the way you want. they also have very good guides for each pack advising on settings.

One item that is invaluable IMO is their Lights Configurator very important relative to the screen resolution you use. You can make the visible light smaller/ larger brighter dimmer etc and that really improves the night flying.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

16 hours ago, pilot100ll said:

Keep Flying and enjoy

JP

Hi JP,

Thanks for the detailed write up... Yeah - I've heard good things on the new JustFlight stuff as well... Martin kind of alluded that they might consider a redo of their Duchess - that's one plane I'd be all in on - their last effort was pretty good with the exception of the custom GPS...

Yeah - at 52 - I wish I could figure out how to get some gig flying but I need to be realistic... Yeah - I've worked on my Instrument here and there - but - it's hard to truly justify probably at least another 10K in training... My dream job - flying Cessna 402's for Cape Air in my retirement - see - my aspirations aren't really that high...

Enjoy...

Regards,
Scott