Sign in to follow this  
steve howlett

constant state of waiting

not moaning..it wasn't long ago just after Microsoft flight was cancelled that flightsim for me was dead in the water.FSX was just a pain in the rear and had been discarded by Microsoft with no further updates.

all of a sudden out of the blue LM came along with Prepar3d and with that came regular updates...now in 64bit we are in flightsim heaven.BUT ..with every update comes sometimes months of waiting.with the amount of addons i have ,i'm always waiting for something to be fixed.some companies are very quick to update ,some of the more complex addons like the aerosoft airbus and the MJC8 q400(not far off now}

take months to adapt.am i happy,yes of course.things are looking very good for armchair fliers like me.just wish i had a Magic wand.

steve

I know exactly what you mean Steve, hopefully companies will concentrate on the big fish so to speak like P3D. I am sure they can see where the future lies with Flight sims. Its a golden age kind of.  :biggrin:

Now I want to be a bit cynical: one "advantage" of the dinosaur FSX in the last year was that it has not been further developed. So you (and the developers) could be sure what will work and that your addons will work forever :biggrin: Development has its price and its worth to suffer with P3D.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I know you are being a bit facetious but even the stagnant FSX gets occasionally whacked by OS upgrades. Look at uiautomation.dll as an example of OS caused obsolescence.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you will in a constant state of waiting.  P3Dv4 is 64 bit so many developers need times.  Once most the important Add-ons are available, and LM releases a new update, you DO have a choice on whether to take the update or not.  If everything is working fine for you, DON'T update, wait for things to shake out.  Right now, unless you are in the same boat as I am, waiting for Flight 1 for my favorite planes, I would say that most people should just stay on 4.0, then there is no waiting. :ha:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

There's a simple solution to the waiting syndrome. Get one of those complex add-ons which is already available and learn the bejeezus out of it. Try some flights you've never done with the thing, some approach types you've never done, fly it with something busted which makes it a challenge, actually read the manuals from cover to cover, do a repaint for it, fly it for revenue in one of the many add-ons you can get which simulate that, and so on. There is no need to sit waiting for the next shiny thing when you've already got one of them.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Steve, I know what you mean

Do you want to read something really funny?, and not many here would admit or can even check since they dumped their older sim install.

I have P3D 3.4 and 4.1 installed

I also have FSX and FSX SE on my system and on rare occasions when I boot a flight into those sims, I realize what the words "totally fluid and floating" really mean. I come back to P3D 3.5 and 4.1 and realize what the term 'placebo' means.  And I thought I would know better without any compare.

I might not OOM anymore, but the WOW visual feeling of floating on air without a hiccup,... doesn't exist.

Perhaps its my older hardware even with lower slider settings in P3D?   4.7Ghz i7 @ GTX980     right :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

1 hour ago, sillyflyer said:

but the WOW visual feeling of floating on air without a hiccup,... doesn't exist.

Perhaps its my older hardware even with lower slider settings in P3D?   4.7Ghz i7 @ GTX980     right :rolleyes:

Let me be the first to bite and say I am sad to hear about the lack of WOW. It all depends on your expectations, gear and the willingness to tune the software to your gear and clearly you are expressing some disappointment with your outcome to date. Sometimes we also need to take a break for a little while to get the taste back.

I for a long while ran FSX and then alongside it XP11 on a 3930k @4.4 with 2 GTX680 4GB Gpus and was happy once I found the right settings no OOM and reasonably smooth even when I went to 4k. I bought a GTX980Ti and life was even better I found I could play with the sliders in XP11 but never got happy with having to download 70Gbs of ortho for california in XP11 it just took so long and that for me was my low point with flight sims because I didn't get a WOW after opening up the scenery. Flying the VRS Superhornet onto a carrier in ORBX country was/is a WOW time when I get tired of flying to a chart. I am happy to support people like ORBX who make it so easy and so well that it gives me more time to fly my sim. Then along comes v4 I dive in and life is so much better in the virtual flight world for me. Just finished upgrading to a new machine with a GTX1080Ti and the WOW is there for me I have gone from 9 to 10 in the terrain settings and most of my sliders are maxxed.  I can use DL around Sydney at night as well and during the day the scenery just floats by when I stay low in the Twin Otter.

I have learnt a lot lurking on this forum since 2009, from guys providing, for example profiles for night time DL flights to how to set up your XML script etc. One of the best ongoing learning experiences I have had outside of raising kids. V4 has given me a big kick along in flight simming and certainly some small moments of frustration before the WOW. I hope I live long enough to do it all with a super smooth immersive 3d headset.

In support of your comment about your gear, my recent step up in PC gear was very very discernable in v4. Not for everyone that expense, but I couldn't be happier.

I will give you an example of my visual performance improvement if I could, on the deck at YSSY in the Otter at Night with DL on and the 3930K and GTX980Ti my system really struggled with DL on, I looked even more closely at my 980Ti and suspected it was running out of VRAM (6GBs). I borrowed a 1080TI for 2 hours and bought one a while later. At the end of the strip at 2000 hrs with DL on the 1080Ti moves between 8.5 and 9Gbs of VRAM at 4K (the load halved) and it looks great and smooth, now having the new CPU on the X299 and much faster ram 3600 to the old 2400 in the 3930k has taken the airport nighttime FPS from 27 in the 3930K to 45+ with higher slider settings

I also am waiting for great developers like VRS to write their 64bit stuff for v4 so I can fly the fabulous Super Hornet ( still do it in FSX) however I am very happy enjoying the climb out over Botany Bay in either the 738 or the TWIN Otter.

I am sure you will get the WOW factor back.

Cheers

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

it was almost like a song...

I was looking for "wow" in all the wrong places...

:-)

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

47 minutes ago, w6kd said:

it was almost like a song...

I was looking for "wow" in all the wrong places...

:-)

and there you have it my friend  

Now, if I can just convince my daughter of the same thing!!   :biggrin: