Sign in to follow this  
coffecup1978

Win10 "Game mode" and P3D, any success?

Hi,

just wonder if anyone have played around with the new "Game Mode" that came in the latest update of Win10, with P3D? Suppose to take CPU away from background tasks and give it to the game to give more stable frame rate.

-coffecup1978

I wouldn't mess with that, especially in relation to P3D. As you say, it's meant to dedicate resources but that also means you'll choke everything else; SimConnect hookins, weather apps, anything external related to the flight sim and how it operates will get kicked to the very bottom of the priority list. Then you might just see other adverse effects, stuttering or even worse performance if it needs to 'wait' on a response from low priority processes.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Hello,

This depends of your Add-on's, if you have a lots of tools that use simconnect, and CPU power this mode could have very adverse effects as the OS will give all resources only to the "GAME" in this case PD3.exe, which mostly runs on core 0 which will make your external tools to lag or fail.

A particular example is Flight1 GTN, if you use Game mode the GNT 750 will not work inside the sim at all, and Flight1 has already advised their users to "DO NOT USE GAME MODE".

So unfortunately, in my personal opinion our flying simulation platforms will not get any benefit from it.

Best Regards,

Simbo 

GTN 750 works fine here with game mode. This mode may well affect different things but the GTN does work without any noticeable difference. 

Hans

I use Game mode by default, because my performance is so good though I really can't tell to much a difference.  I max all my settings except for autogen, since I fly over photoreal scenery like my latest screenshots in the screenshots forum today.

John

6 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

GTN 750 works fine here with game mode. This mode may well affect different things but the GTN does work without any noticeable difference. 

Interesting F1 advised not to, can you post your system specs? 

Simbol 

Sure, nothing special here: 7700K at stock overdrive, 64GB Ram, Samsung 840 Evo for X-Plane, NVIDIA 980ti, Windows 10 Pro. 

Hans

I didn't know P3D was a game. So I don't use game mode.:wink:

12 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

Sure, nothing special here: 7700K at stock overdrive, 64GB Ram, Samsung 840 Evo for X-Plane, NVIDIA 980ti, Windows 10 Pro. 

Ok it is a better CPU than mine, it could be that.

S

Problem is you wont see much improvement unless its a UWP game (Universal WIndows Platform) which are only games from the official Windows Store. For non-UWP games, the improvement is marginal, sometimes even less than a full frame per second. In some rare cases it even runs worse with game mode activated. 

I have disabled it completely

Forgot all about this "game mode" but i do remember having better performance without it before 1709.

Hitting WIN+G doesnt bring it up  (nor does hitting an xbox controller )any so how do i check and disable this ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Just hit the start button and type in Game Mode in search box. I turned mine off, some games on Steam have bad results with it on.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

2 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

Just hit the start button and type in Game Mode in search box. I turned mine off, some games on Steam have bad results with it on.

Thanks but nope W10 1709 dosnt have an on/off option

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I'm running 1709 (OS build 16299.64) We may not be on the same build

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's