Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Passengers scream in terror as pilot performs incredibly low stunt when Air Berlin flight lands for the last time

2 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Strange coincidence with pilots acting that way and the airline ceasing operations next week?.

Not really, that's why they did it in the first place, Ed.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

17 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

Not really, that's why they did it in the first place, Ed.

Yup, I know, but it should be different ways to do a fly over, right?, this looked to me as temerary and probably a bit aggressive from the cockpit crew. Just my feeling.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

47 minutes ago, aentwis said:

the Sun is worse than toilet paper...

Which is why it is banned in Liverpool for the utterly disgraceful way it sought to taint the LFC fans(of which I am one) and the good people of Liverpool, just to sell copies. But then, that is Rupert Murdoch's empire's way of doing things. Hypocrisy.

After all, if anyone is as old as I am and remembers the panning it gave Hugh Hefner when the Playboy Club was opened in London in 60s, and then, guess what, follows it up with the Page Three girls. I'd have thought that being seen by kids at a breakfast table was much more disconcerting than the PB Club.

• Upvote 2

I seems a bit excessive to call it a dangerous manoeuvre as it was little more than a go-around with a very early turn (and not a steep turn) at low level. However I think the needless low level turn with passengers on board if anything is the thing that might cause the pilot a problem with the authorities as most go-arounds tend to fly runway heading until at least 1,000ft or higher although I am not sure what the go around procedure would be for the runway in question at DUS. Although presumably the passengers were briefed beforehand, I do wonder whether they had any choice in the matter and I can't help thinking there might well have been some more nervous flyers on board who might not have been altogether happy with this prolongation of their flight!

On the subject of low level turns by airliners with passengers on board this brings back memories of an arrival into Salzburg which I experienced as a passenger a few years ago in an Air Alpes Do328. After flying a low right hand downwind for runway 34 at SZG the pilot performed quite a steep descending right turn close to the airport as a curved base leg from downwind onto short final. Although as an ex-pilot myself I quite enjoyed this somewhat unique experience in an airliner but, from their reaction, I am certain that a few of the passengers did not!

Bill

• Upvote 1

Thanks for posting that classic, Jude.

Isn't that the famous Lew Alcindor as I knew him in my teens, or Kareem Al-Jubar he later became?

"Passengers screaming in terror" FFS.....is there any chance we can have a ban on links to the s*n newspaper? They are nothing but a bunch of liars ran by a scumbag. It amazes me to this day that people are still buying this rag considering their history, and the scandalous lies they printed, and the national cover ups they chose to adhere to.

• Upvote 6

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

2 hours ago, aentwis said:

er if there is any "news" of this over at PPRUNE... storm in a tea cup and sensationalist journalism at its worst again... the Sun is worse than toilet paper...

+++ full agree

The inside-cabin-film don't show panic...

1 hour ago, nealmac said:

"Passengers screaming in terror" FFS.....is there any chance we can have a ban on links to the s*n newspaper? They are nothing but a bunch of liars ran by a scumbag. It amazes me to this day that people are still buying this rag considering their history, and the scandalous lies they printed, and the national cover ups they chose to adhere to.

But then who will UK Prime Ministers take their instructions from?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vc10man said:

Thanks for posting that classic, Jude.

Isn't that the famous Lew Alcindor as I knew him in my teens, or Kareem Al-Jubar he later became?

Yes, Rick, that's right.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Hmmmmmmm.......

Bit of a reaction against the Sun, while I was sleeping, so I guess a bit of background is in order.

The original headline for this post (that appeared on my newsfeed last night) was from the UK Mirror, which had that headline along with a small and not very informative article.

After I posted, I went looking for more info, and found a much better article by the Sun, so I went back, and changed the article and the link, and in retrospect, maybe should have changed the thread title if it was possible, to the milder headline from the Sun article, which was:

THAT'S NOT GONNA FLY 

Air Berlin pilot investigated over extremely low fly-by stunt at Dusseldorf Airport for bankrupt airline’s last transatlantic flight

Here is the mirror article which sparked my thread title: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/passengers-scream-terror-pilot-performs-11362861

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Frankly, it doesn't alter the fact that the Sun is a cack newspaper, as is the Mirror, actually the mirror is probably the worse of the two, since it has pretentions toward being superior to it. But then again, they both look like pantheons of righteous journalism compared to the Express.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

11 minutes ago, Chock said:

Frankly, it doesn't alter the fact that the Sun is a cack newspaper, as is the Mirror, actually the mirror is probably the worse of the two, since it has pretentions toward being superior to it. But then again, they both look like pantheons of righteous journalism compared to the Express.

But the Express is always crusading for a fairer Britain ... even though I doubt anyone there knows what most of those words mean if you look at what they root for.

It does make me laugh though that a couple of years ago following the economic crash of 2007, politicians and journalists came bottom and second from the bottom respectively in a poll of who people trust to tell the truth. And yet, look at where we are today based entirely on what politicians and journalists said.

To paraphrase Lisa Simpson, just three more months! Just three more months.

I spent over ten years working for daily UK newspapers, first as a designer, then as a sub editor, then as a features writer (and then all three at the same time which is one of the reasons I left lol, since the wages were cack for having to do all that, but it wasn't the main reason, it was having to put up with all the lazy and cowardly journalism they all promote), and so I know all about how newspapers work. That's why I wouldn't trust a single damn word I read in any of them, and I'd even check the date up at the top of the page against another source just to be sure that wasn't bull***t either :biggrin:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

With this least flight of Air Berlin, parts of pilot's freedom are coming out too... After this day, no more atc will agree a sentimental demonstration.

Sorry but the english papers is not the matter... Someones are..., yes we know.

19 minutes ago, Chock said:

I spent over ten years working for daily UK newspapers

You poor man, can I buy you a drink. You’ve suffered enough.

• Upvote 2