Sign in to follow this  
sammy031

Possible bug on VFR Flight

Scenario: VFR Flight from Uncontrolled Airport (6S0) with no Flight Following arriving at Class C airport (KBIL).

Contacted Approach approx 23 miles out per sectional with phrase, [Approach, <CallSign> is at <Altitude> Inbound for VFR Pattern Entry Runway <Runway>], received a response to expect runway "A" and then to expect to enter left downwind for runway "B". Read back for pattern entry for runway "B" per suggested response. Continued on and never got handed off to the tower. I ended up getting switched over by using the phrase [Approach <CallSign> has the field in sight].

Contacted tower with [Tower, <CallSign> to Land]. was directed to enter pattern for runway "A". Entered for runway "A" and landed with no issues. The suspected issue is not being handed off to Tower after reaching the Destination Tower Radius. Also questioned the switching of runways, but that may be due to me using the "To Land" after forcing the switch to tower. I've attached the portion of the Log file for this leg of the flight.

P2A_2016_Trace_File1.log

Tried again with 2.3.1.0 with the same results. Here is the log file. P2A_2016_Trace_File6.log

Along with not getting handed off to tower without saying "Field in sight", I get maintain 7500 feet all the way to the airport when pattern altitude was 4500 feet.

A separate issue that I don't know if the speech recognition problems I was having caused or not, but I was directed to "Right" downwind for rwy 28R but when I reported downwind atc kept telling me left downwind rwy 28L. 

Thanks for sending the log file.  I was able to identify and fix a bug that was causing the Tower to get confused about pattern direction for RW 28R.

This flight is a straight VFR flight of only 11 NM.  On such a flight, right after takeoff at 6S8, you should contact Billings Tower and make the inbound call directly to them.  Approach control wouldn't be involved unless it was an IFR flight and you had a flight plan to shoot an ILS or other type of approach at Billings.  In fact, in most VFR flights without flight following, you would likely contact Tower about 10NM out and request landing instructions.  Approach control would not be involved unless you needed to transit their airspace or something.

Thanks again for the log.  The fix will be in the next update.

Thanks Dave. On the 2nd flight I started at 6S3 which is 31 NM from KBIL which is why I contacted Approach first.