Sign in to follow this  
joefremont

Around the world in 175 days part 39, St Joseph Missouri, Muskogee Oklahoma

September 18, 1924:  The original plan was to follow the airmail route over the Rocky Mountians through Cheyanne Wyoming and Salt lake city but the lowest point in the continental divide was 6500 feet and the airmail planes often had to fly between 8000 and 9000 feet to safely pass.  Lt Smith wanting to avoid the risks of flying at that altitude decided, with General Patricks approval, to fly through Dallas Texas and San Diego California before returning to the 'official' starting point of Seattle Washington.  So instead of continuing west from Omaha that morning they headed south following the Missouri river 125 miles to the town of St Joseph Missouri, there they would be treated to a luncheon by the civic leaders and watch an aerobatic show by Lt Rubin Moffatt before heading to there next stop.

October 15, 2017:  For the next leg I will be using the Cessna 177 Cardinal.  The 177 was a “futuristic successor to the Cessna 172 with both fixed and retractable landing gear versions.  Although it never really replaced the 172, at least 4295 were built between 1968 and 1979.  The model I am using is the 177RG version by Alabeo and it is quite nice.  Weather for the flight was clear and calm, temperature of 4C/39F.  The flight itself was uneventful, followed the Missouri River south to the Rosecrahs Memorial Airport in St Joseph Missouri.  The 93mn flight took 44 minutes.

Here are the pics:

wc.7.7.1.jpg
Ready to go.

wc.7.7.2.jpg
Everything looks good.

wc.7.7.3.jpg
Cruisin.

wc.7.7.4.jpg
Following the Missouri River.

wc.7.7.5.jpg
Selfie.

wc.7.7.6.jpg
Nice view of the river and the fall colors.

wc.7.7.7.jpg
On Final.

wc.7.7.8.jpg
Landed.

September 18, 1924:  After the luncheon in St Joseph, the flyers were back in the air for Hatbox field in Muskogee, Oklahoma, where they were welcomed by a large number of planes and chartered passenger busses that had converged on the small town to welcome them.  At the evenings banquet they were given gold medallions for there “Intrepid flying skills”. 

October 18, 1924:  For the next leg I will be using the Handley Page Jetstream 200.  The Jetstream is a two engine turboprop small airliner that first flew in 1967.  About 67 were built by Handley Page and Scottish Aviation before the design was acquired by British Aerospace who developed it into the Jetstream 31 and 41.  The model I am using is an almost finished beta by Rick Piper, and despite the fact that he did not finish the pilot seats is a great model and nice to fly.  

Biggest dilemma for this flight was the destination airport to use, originally they used Hatbox field, but Hatbox closed in 2000 and even though it still exists in P3D its runways are pretty small, so following the rule of what airport would I use today I will use Davis field which is the current airport for Muskogee.  They weather was good for flying, clear and calm with a temperature of 10C/50F.  The flight was uneventful except that ActiveSky started giving strange error messages and I had to shut it down, switching instead to the 'fair' weather scheme.  The 248nm flight took 1.1 hours.

wc.7.8.1.jpg
Ready to go.

wc.7.8.2.jpg
Get the selfie out of the way.

wc.7.8.3.jpg
Out over the plains.

wc.7.8.4.jpg
Glamour Shots.

wc.7.8.5.jpg
Everything looks normal.

wc.7.8.6.jpg
Fair weather.

wc.7.8.7.jpg
Flying over Davis Field.

wc.7.8.8.jpg
Landed, 

Thanks for reading.
ATB.

• Upvote 1

Very nice.  Have the Alabeo Cardinal.  Pity it has no autopilot though.  Also Alabeo never fixed the bug with the vertical speed indicator.  They tried to, but it reads off by a couple hundred feet.

John

• Upvote 1

This has been a fabulous log to follow. You write so well, so descriptively, almost conveying the reader back in time and then forward in time. Journalistic skills there. Look forward to following it to its conclusion.

Marvellous diary.

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

This has been a fabulous log to follow. You write so well, so descriptively, almost conveying the reader back in time and then forward in time. Journalistic skills there. Look forward to following it to its conclusion.

Marvellous diary.

Yeah, what he said.  I think I've managed to follow each and every installment and consider it time well spent.

Love the history details....great looking screenshots!

HLJAMES

8 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

Very nice.  Have the Alabeo Cardinal.  Pity it has no autopilot though.  Also Alabeo never fixed the bug with the vertical speed indicator.  They tried to, but it reads off by a couple hundred feet.

John

True they did not fit an autopilot, but they did not disable the autopilot hot keys. :biggrin:

i did not notice the VS indicator bug, good thing I did not or I probably would have used the default 172. 

Edit: Not that there is anything wrong with the default 172 

7 hours ago, vc10man said:

Marvellous diary.

Thanks for the compliments, although with full disclosure I have a good reference source in the book "Around the world in 175 days" by Carroll Glines where I got 80%+ of my information. I am sure if I was to submit this blog as a research paper I would get dinged by my school history teacher for following his words too closely.   One of the biggest challenges in this undertaking is taking the several pages that describe a leg and condense it down to an interesting paragraph that does not get too bogged down in the details so I am very glad your all enjoying this. 

After all, I still follow, I still enjoy, I am still excited what happens next, and what will be the next plane you use! Especially as the journey slowly gets to its end. I wish you good luck for the return to Seattle!

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Sorry we missed you when you came through--Welcome to Oklahoma! Next time you fly over O38, we'll wave from the hangar! :-)