Sign in to follow this  
twojastara

P3D v4.1 with i7-8700k ?

Hi guys,

I have i7-6700k with GTX 1080 and I am wondering if there is any sense to upgrade to i7-8700k. Benchmarks show up to 15-20% of improvement on single core speed and in FPS in some games.

Is anyone here that have already moved to i7-8700k and is willing to describe his experience? Is there any sense to switch to 6 cores at the current state of P3D?

Thank you,
Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

The question is what clock are you running your 6700K and what could you would be running 8700K. For instance, my 6700K is clocked to 4,8GHz, and if I would get 8700K, what clock would I need to achieve same performance, if not 3.7GHz, then how high would 8700K overclock.

4 minutes ago, SimonC said:

The question is what clock are you running your 6700K and what could you would be running 8700K. For instance, my 6700K is clocked to 4,8GHz, and if I would get 8700K, what clock would I need to achieve same performance, if not 3.7GHz, then how high would 8700K overclock.

Also OC the 8700K will require proper cooling as it gets very hot easily, deliding might be required to achieve 4.8Ghz or higher under 8700K.

Simbol

I just did a Cinebench R15 on my 4C no-HT at 4.8: 193cb (whatever that means).

I see reports of 196 point on 8700K, I presume stock:

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-6-core-cpu-pictured-benchmarked-delivers-blistering-single-multi-threaded-performance/

So if you delid it, watercool it, if it's really running that hot, I guess you could go up, the question is how much FPS would you achieve, and how crucial that is really. For instance: running usual 30fps, would mean with 25%, which would be 4.6GHz or about, you would get whopping 37,5fps.

Just sayin...

I would say that the single core performance should be about the same at same clocks.

You gain 2 additional cores. And additional heat. If this translates well to P3D - I would doubt that.

My personal opinion is that it's too soon to say with the 8700K.  The test reports out there are using pre-production reference chips.  Actual manufacturing runs may differ.  With the 7700K, the heat issue wasn't widely noted until the first production chips hit the market.  

Also, early reports are up to a 50% increase in multi-core performance with OC.  That's significant and it remains to be seen if P3Dv4.1 can utilize the extra cores effectively - it should.  It's a significantly greater performance increase from 7700k to 8700k than 6700k was to 7700k.

Also keep in mind it's not just a CPU upgrade - the 8800k will require a Z370 chipset motherboard.

See here:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K/3937vs3647

and comparing the 6700K:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700K/3937vs3502

• Upvote 2

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

2 hours ago, swiesma said:

I would say that the single core performance should be about the same at same clocks

How does the Cinebench result scale? As in, how much difference is 192 to 196? Can be calculated to percentage?

In my opinion, upgrading from an i7 6700k/GTX 1080 system to an i7 8700k is pointless. You already have an extremely powerful system.

• Upvote 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

10 hours ago, twojastara said:

Hi guys,

I have i7-6700k with GTX 1080 and I am wondering if there is any sense to upgrade to i7-8700k. Benchmarks show up to 15-20% of improvement on single core speed and in FPS in some games.

Is anyone here that have already moved to i7-8700k and is willing to describe his experience? Is there any sense to switch to 6 cores at the current state of P3D?

Thank you,
Lukasz

I'll know by Monday night.  My 8700k is due to arrive FedEX on Monday from Newegg.  Once of the first things I'll do is install P3Dv4.  I have all of my components already in except the processor.  My present system includes a 1060 GTX and an i7 4790k running at 4.4 gHz.  Whether I'll see a huge difference in performance depends upon how well the program uses multi core processors.  I have no difficulties running P3Dv4 with all sliders maxed out now except when arriving at complex airports with 3rd party scenery or when turning road traffic all the way up.  It's only then that my frame rates drop below 30.  I have my frame rate V synced to my 4K 40" monitor at 30 fps.  I'm using the big 3 Orbx Global addons, Global Base, LC, and Vector.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Gridley said:

My personal opinion is that it's too soon to say with the 8700K.  The test reports out there are using pre-production reference chips.  Actual manufacturing runs may differ.  With the 7700K, the heat issue wasn't widely noted until the first production chips hit the market.  

Also, early reports are up to a 50% increase in multi-core performance with OC.  That's significant and it remains to be seen if P3Dv4.1 can utilize the extra cores effectively - it should.  It's a significantly greater performance increase from 7700k to 8700k than 6700k was to 7700k.

Also keep in mind it's not just a CPU upgrade - the 8800k will require a Z370 chipset motherboard.

See here:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K/3937vs3647

and comparing the 6700K:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700K/3937vs3502

Thank goodness I just saw that. I just ordered a 8700K and nearly ordered the wrong Mobo.  Thanks a million for the heads up, thats saved me a huge headache. 

• Upvote 2

14ppkc-6.png

On 20/10/2017 at 9:15 AM, twojastara said:

I have i7-6700k with GTX 1080 and I am wondering if there is any sense to upgrade to i7-8700k.

No is the short answer. The instructions per cycle (IPC) for the two CPUs are almost identical at the same clock speed (see: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_8600k_processor_review,26.html) so there's unlikely to be any significant difference in performance. The advantage you get with the 8700k is the higher stock speed and the ability to overclock it slightly more (but at the expense of a lot of extra heat). That said, most people who've tried seem to be able to get a 6700k comfortably to 4.7 GHz and the difference of the extra 0.3-0.4 GHz you might get with the 8700k really isn't going to make that much difference to performance. The big disadvantage, of course, is the cost of the new CPU and motherboard.

As Christopher said above, you already have a good system and if you upgrade you'll be paying a huge amount for a few percent improvement in performance at best. Stick with what you've got and just overclock it if you haven't already done so.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thank you all for your thoughts. With every new CPU release I hope it would make any difference, but nowadays performance gain is always very small.

I guess I just need to enjoy what I have :).

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

I guess it's the same story as always, P3D might be somewhat better multi-threaded than FSX but it's still pedal to the middle on that first core. For modern game titles, the 8700k shows huge performance gains thanks to the extra physical cores. I doubt you would see a large performance gain, I guess the minimum fps would better with all those cores creating a somewhat smoother experience. Since the IPC is basically identical to the 7700k I still doubt you'll see any bigger gains.

The day flight sims moves to a truly modern API like DX12 or Vulcan, where workload is shifted more to the GPU, we'll see truly great gains in performance, just like in newer well-optimized game titles. Just look at Doom running with the Vulcan API, you could run that thing on a potato CPU, 60 fps high settings, as long as the GPU is somewhat decent.

It's no longer a question of obtaining better hardware, we have truly powerful PC hardware already. It's the flight sim software that is lagging behind, platforms that still carry parts of over 10 year old legacy code.

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, addman said:

For modern game titles, the 8700k shows huge performance gains thanks to the extra physical cores.

That doesn't seem to be the case if you look through the game tests from here on: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_8600k_processor_review,18.html. These are the only tests I can find which include CPUs as old as the 4790k. In most of the games tested there's very little difference between the 8700k and even the 4790k, particularly at 2560x1440 (Hitman seems to have the biggest difference). It would appear that most modern games still don't fully utilise the extra cores.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Sorry to bump this one.  With an overclocked 8700K should hyper threading be on or off?? 

Many thanks 

14ppkc-6.png