The problem is benchmarks vs real application. Benching the 8700,7700,7920 will give specific results but, as many have found out through the years, the benchmarks do not necessarily translate into the flight sim world.

Flight sims (P3d, FX,XP) are a unique beast. They make demands on the cpu/memory/gpu that other applications do not. All the extra bells and whistles and new tech on the new processors may be great but if the application doesn't make use of them, there is no real gain. Sort of like driving a Ferrari on a GoKart track - you cannot utilize it's strengths.

Vic

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

51 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

The problem is benchmarks vs real application. Benching the 8700,7700,7920 will give specific results but, as many have found out through the years, the benchmarks do not necessarily translate into the flight sim world.

Flight sims (P3d, FX,XP) are a unique beast. They make demands on the cpu/memory/gpu that other applications do not. All the extra bells and whistles and new tech on the new processors may be great but if the application doesn't make use of them, there is no real gain. Sort of like driving a Ferrari on a GoKart track - you cannot utilize it's strengths.

Vic

I have a Z270 +5ghz 7700k that i use with P3DV4.1 

In this case i agree with Rob ,I9 series ar beasts try it you understand what i mean 

P3D V4.1 test I9 7920X 5ghz

45 minutes ago, westman said:

In this case i agree with Rob ,I9 series ar beasts try it you understand what i mean 

In your screenshot it looks like P3D is using all 14 cores almost 100%. Is that your correct? If so, it looks like the P3D upgrades that Lockheed Martin are providing to spread the sim load to multi-cores is indeed working.

The big question! With the same video card do you experience an improvement simming with the 7920x vs. 7700k?

Appreciate all the feedback you provide from your testing on these forums Westman,

Ted

Yes it run 12cores close to 100% i run HT Off,

In same test same GPU same settings the 7700K at 5.1 ghz  it get small pause or Stutter both with HT on or OFF

the 7920x smooth as silk , 

if i set unlimited the fps fluktation ar much bigger on the 7700K max fps is almost identic.

One thing that i noted is the IPC 5ghz on the 7920X is identical to 5.1 on the 7700k

to run 4K with decent setting you need atleast 4.7ghz on the I9 series or 4.8 I7

if the I9 stops at 4.5ghz i prefer a 5ghz 7700k.

if a can run the I9 more then 4.6 ghz its that one i prefer even if the 7700k do 5.4ghz

I didn't realize that cores 6 and 7 were disabled.

Thanks Westman. So the extra cores do help with P3Dv4.

....the expense of this hobby is accelerating. :ohmy:

The

3 hours ago, westman said:

Westman, would a Noctua 15 cooler be sufficient to run your 7920 with OC at 4.7 or is liquid cooling an absolut must ? What sort of power cunsumption do you have with your OC?

Thanks for your feedback.

4 hours ago, westman said:

For such a CPU, I expected more, honestly. I see GPU is pretty high, but only 31fps with FSL is mediocre... is the scenario limited by the CPU or GPU? It might show 12 cores loaded to the teeth, but in P3D, there still only one main thread, or did that change? We still need one core with from power, than more less powerful cores, do we not?

9 hours ago, Jean-Claude said:

Westman, would a Noctua 15 cooler be sufficient to run your 7920 with OC at 4.7 or is liquid cooling an absolut must ? What sort of power cunsumption do you have with your OC?

Hi there 

I had a noctua 14 on my old 3770K.   If you do some reading the newer Noctua NH-D15 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler with two NH-A15 Fans is as effective as a mid range water cooler 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/noctua-nh-d15-review,1.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-D15/

What you do have to be careful of is the space they use, for example when building the rig make sure you put your ram sticks in before that cooler gets champed down as the distance isn't much.  Same with the small power cable 

IMG-20170613-_WA0000.jpg

That was my old one 

If you buy one, get a big bugger of a case for airflow and put the ram in first!!!!   

Cubes are quite good for such constructs. Way better airflow and not at all cramped, due to cables, or basically everything being on the other side.

With that cube and my 2 x 980ti my old case was cramped as hell.  980Ti run hot under load at 80 degrees or so you want a nice bit of space around then 

I recently upgraded my system from an i7 4790k running at 4.4 gHz to an Asus Strix Gaming - H 370 motherboard (16 gigs RAM) with the 6 core 8700k running at 5 gHz.  I'm using a GTX 1060 with 6 gigs.  I see marginal improvements mainly due to added clock speed of the 8700k.  P3dv4 doesn't seem to care about multiple cores at all.  Quite honestly I see a greater improvement with the latest Windows 10 Gaming mode in P3Dv4.  I use v-sync on at 30 frames on my 4K 40" monitor and with gaming mode enabled I'm finding smoother performance all around.  The Fall Creators Windows 10 update's game mode is really worth using in my opinion.

1 hour ago, tooting said:

With that cube and my 2 x 980ti my old case was cramped as hell.  980Ti run hot under load at 80 degrees or so you want a nice bit of space around then 

There is a simple solution to that. Watercool the GPUs and the CPU :cool:

13 hours ago, SimonC said:

For such a CPU, I expected more, honestly. I see GPU is pretty high, but only 31fps with FSL is mediocre... is the scenario limited by the CPU or GPU? It might show 12 cores loaded to the teeth, but in P3D, there still only one main thread, or did that change? We still need one core with from power, than more less powerful cores, do we not?

Run vsync TrippleB 4k 30HZ

If i run unlimited with this settings i Bottelneck the GPU

The load times with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP= 10 on this I9 is faster then the 7700k with std8

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, westman said:

Run vsync TrippleB 4k 30HZ

If i run unlimited with this settings i Bottelneck the GPU

The load times with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP= 10 on this I9 is faster then the 7700k with std8

It would be interesting what CPU can do, without bottlenecking the GPU.

13 minutes ago, westman said:

Here on approach you see the GPU usage

GPU usage Vsync 30HZ

Why GPU? GPU isn't nearly what's required to run FSL smoothly and with high FPS. FSL is very CPU-heavy, and GPU is only here for fun... GPU only plays role with high resolutions, clouds, AA, shadows, reflections etc.

What I am interested in is seeing FSL cockpit with unlocked FPS, no vsync, no addon airport. And settings would be helpful. Then I could compare to mine (6700K at 4.8) - that is what I would be interested in.

45 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Why GPU? GPU isn't nearly what's required to run FSL smoothly and with high FPS. FSL is very CPU-heavy, and GPU is only here for fun... GPU only plays role with high resolutions, clouds, AA, shadows, reflections etc.

What I am interested in is seeing FSL cockpit with unlocked FPS, no vsync, no addon airport. And settings would be helpful. Then I could compare to mine (6700K at 4.8) - that is what I would be interested in.

Here is one with 1920X1080 

Iam not intrested in this Fps max unlimited i like a smooth nice sim at 4k with lot of candy.

FSL A320 Unlimited 1920x1080

Setting

15 hours ago, Jean-Claude said:

Dont think is sufficient , minimum AIO 280 

I would not recomend less then 1000W if you have a 1080TI , run CB15 no load on GPU mesured watt on the plug killawatt close to 500W add 250-300W for GPU and 200W headroom

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2

temp-load.jpg

looks like its the if not better than some aio's

http://www.overclock.net/t/1531372/noctua-nh-d15-vs-aio-coolers

If your case an fit a noctua d15 (the two fan version not the single version "s") then its an option.  

But they H U G E so space is a premium with them. 

Like I said when I had a d14 on my 3770k it was pretty much the same as the above numbers.

44 minutes ago, westman said:

Here is one with 1920X1080 

Iam not intrested in this Fps max unlimited i like a smooth nice sim at 4k with lot of candy.

FSL A320 Unlimited 1920x1080

Setting

I also like my sim smooth, but for me, one of the most important ways to achieving smooth sim is to have high max fps, which I can then lock, and be sure that max fps don't fall below the locked fps (30fps in my case).

But that you for this, this is really amazing. I get about 50fps in such scenario. Too bad I can't afford the CPU.

4 hours ago, tooting said:

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2

temp-load.jpg

looks like its the if not better than some aio's

http://www.overclock.net/t/1531372/noctua-nh-d15-vs-aio-coolers

If your case an fit a noctua d15 (the two fan version not the single version "s") then its an option.  

But they H U G E so space is a premium with them. 

Like I said when I had a d14 on my 3770k it was pretty much the same as the above numbers.

Dont Think the NH-D15 can handle the wattage from a I9 overclocked to 4.7ghz when it dont pass 250W with 4770K , did this test 0ne year ago used the 4770k it give some heat.

The test you linked to is not more then aprox 150-160W load

Test Differnt cooling

• Upvote 1

I am using the X62 and my i9-7900X is clocked at 4.7Ghz for core 0, 4.5Ghz for the other, HT off, I hit up to 82-83 Max in P3D, usually is around 60s so cooling with air..I am not sure if it works. And 8700K runs at higher clocks (true, less cores but..).

If I will put HT on, then the X62 will not manage it well also. I will go to a new case and custom water cooling to get the temps lower and for silence, but more than 4.8Ghz I will probably not clock it.

X62, 4.8 Ghz on all cores and HT ON worked also but reaching 100 degrees on some cores, still stable but was just for benchmarking done. P3D can stress pretty well the CPU :D

My result: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5499500

3 hours ago, Vali said:

I am using the X62 and my i9-7900X is clocked at 4.7Ghz for core 0, 4.5Ghz for the other, HT off, I hit up to 82-83 Max in P3D, usually is around 60s so cooling with air..I am not sure if it works. And 8700K runs at higher clocks (true, less cores but..).

If I will put HT on, then the X62 will not manage it well also. I will go to a new case and custom water cooling to get the temps lower and for silence, but more than 4.8Ghz I will probably not clock it.

X62, 4.8 Ghz on all cores and HT ON worked also but reaching 100 degrees on some cores, still stable but was just for benchmarking done. P3D can stress pretty well the CPU :D

My result: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5499500

I plan to buy a delidded I9-7900X binned at 4.5-4.6GHz and use Coollaboratory Pro under IHS with Corsair H115i. That should yield 4.8GHz o/c at around 70C at max load with no problem.

That will work, if you buy one with warranty (mine was from Amazon and I do not want to loose the warranty for now).

Yours I think it might go though to 80s.. with HT On. Waiting for tests results.

On my side I want a better cooling solution in order to reduce the wattage, so the power consumption accordingly. Also it will be more silent. During the summer will help too. Many people reduce the clocks at that time. I have 2x360mm PE radiators in mind. The 1080TI FTW3 also heats up pretty well my system (towards the CPU), as with dynamic lighting it goes to 99% usage and temps towards 75 degrees at 1950Mhz GPU clock. I will cool that too.

No P3D v4.1 and 8700K tests so far?