Sign in to follow this  
Carob

FPDA Boeing Callout Gauge

Hello.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

I'm having an issue with the FPDA Boeing Callout Gauge when used with the TDS 787-8.  The issue is that touchdown is occurring with the callout saying "twenty".

I posted something in the TDS Facebook forum but it doesn't seem like anyone knows, or is willing to provide the info on, how to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Callout gauges need to be adjustable to suit each aircraft. I believe the FPDA is not so it is useless.

Try Rob Rob Barendregt's GPWS. It is adjustable.

It would be nice if I could find one that works in P3DV4.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

7 hours ago, edetroit said:

Callout gauges need to be adjustable to suit each aircraft. I believe the FPDA is not so it is useless.

Try Rob Rob Barendregt's GPWS. It is adjustable.

So I grabbed v3.3 of that gauge and installed it.  Without changing anything touchdown is now at "ten".  But I can't figure out how to adjust it.  Any help?

42 minutes ago, Carob said:

So I grabbed v3.3 of that gauge and installed it.  Without changing anything touchdown is now at "ten".  But I can't figure out how to adjust it.  Any help?

Open the file 'GPWS3_3_Default.xml' with notepad. (to be found in rcb_gauges folder)

Find the line: 10 (>L:GPWS_BasicRALT,number)

This the radio altitude of the aircraft on the ground in feet. (in this case 10)

You need to change the 10 to the radio altitude of your aircraft. (do this without the aircraft loaded in the sim)

You can do it by guessing ...for example you say touchdown is ten so add 10, make it 20 (>L:GPWS_BasicRALT,number)

As I am a panel designer I would write a code that would tell me exactly what height the aircraft was at landing weight to the inch. (note radio alt is different at landing weight to takeoff weight) 

I do hope you succeed as accurate rad alt callouts are the greatest aid to a smooth landing.....and inaccurate ones have the opposite effect.

10 hours ago, Vineguy said:

It would be nice if I could find one that works in P3DV4.

Doug Dawson has made a 64bit sound gauge for P3DV4 so it is certainly possible.

I do not use P3D so I cannot help you.

PM Rob Barendregt and ask him to make a P3DV4 version of his gauge.

11 hours ago, edetroit said:

Open the file 'GPWS3_3_Default.xml' with notepad. (to be found in rcb_gauges folder)

Find the line: 10 (>L:GPWS_BasicRALT,number)

This the radio altitude of the aircraft on the ground in feet. (in this case 10)

You need to change the 10 to the radio altitude of your aircraft. (do this without the aircraft loaded in the sim)

You can do it by guessing ...for example you say touchdown is ten so add 10, make it 20 (>L:GPWS_BasicRALT,number)

As I am a panel designer I would write a code that would tell me exactly what height the aircraft was at landing weight to the inch. (note radio alt is different at landing weight to takeoff weight) 

I do hope you succeed as accurate rad alt callouts are the greatest aid to a smooth landing.....and inaccurate ones have the opposite effect.

I did finally find that line.  I think part of what as throwing me is that the documentation says the default is 18.  As a first test, before seeing your reply, I changed the 10 to 15 and it seemed to work okay.  But for some reason, I'm not sure how this would be possible, it seems like I lost the higher callout numbers of 2,500 and 1,000.  I'm going to play with it a little more though.

Do you know if there's a published list someplace that will provide the accurate numbers for all settings for the more popular aircraft?  It seems like something the creator would have put together, to me anyway, but I don't know.

2 hours ago, Carob said:

I did finally find that line.  I think part of what as throwing me is that the documentation says the default is 18.  As a first test, before seeing your reply, I changed the 10 to 15 and it seemed to work okay.  But for some reason, I'm not sure how this would be possible, it seems like I lost the higher callout numbers of 2,500 and 1,000.  I'm going to play with it a little more though.

Do you know if there's a published list someplace that will provide the accurate numbers for all settings for the more popular aircraft?  It seems like something the creator would have put together, to me anyway, but I don't know.

I do think that Rob made finding the rad alt of your aircraft a little confusing.

"The base RadioAltitude of the aircraft when on the ground.
  This is determined by the aircrafts gearheight and datum position.
  Examples: 18 ft for a Boeing747, 3 ft for a Cessna."

He could easily have added a line of code that would show the rad alt of your aircraft on the ground.

When my son has gone to bed I will attach a simple xml code that will show you the rad alt of your aircraft. Just put it in the rcb_gauges folder and then add it temporarily to your panel cfg in window 00. Take the figure that it shows and put it in front of (>L:GPWS_BasicRALT,number) .....make sure there is one gap between the number and the bracket.

8 hours ago, Carob said:

Well, I think I installed it correctly but the number I'm getting is "1".  I don't think that's correct.

gauge86=rcb-gauges!radio_alt, 612,800,19,19

Image here

I had not tested it. The problem was the gauge size. I have now made it the same size as in your panel cfg 19,19 . So do not change anything in your panel cfg, simply overwrite your old gauge with this new one. (it has the same name)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4tkqecsajjqajl5/radio_alt_v2.zip

BTW thank you for making me do this, I noticed my radio altimeter was slightly out on my IL-76! :biggrin: 

P.S The gauge is now accurate to 10/th of a foot. I'm expecting some real greasers. :wink:

6 hours ago, edetroit said:

I had not tested it. The problem was the gauge size. I have now made it the same size as in your panel cfg 19,19 . So do not change anything in your panel cfg, simply overwrite your old gauge with this new one. (it has the same name)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4tkqecsajjqajl5/radio_alt_v2.zip

BTW thank you for making me do this, I noticed my radio altimeter was slightly out on my IL-76! :biggrin: 

P.S The gauge is now accurate to 10/th of a foot. I'm expecting some real greasers. :wink:

Looks like that did it.  Thanks very much!

Maybe I'll attempt to update some other aircraft too.  If I do would I still be able to use the same entry?  Or because you had to adjust things specifically for my 787 panel is there a chance it wouldn't work?

Regardless I guess, thanks again!

53 minutes ago, Carob said:

Looks like that did it.  Thanks very much!

Maybe I'll attempt to update some other aircraft too.  If I do would I still be able to use the same entry?  Or because you had to adjust things specifically for my 787 panel is there a chance it wouldn't work?

Regardless I guess, thanks again!

Yes indeed. It will work with all aircraft.

If you intend to use the altitude callouts with other aircraft I would rename the rcp-gauges folder to rcb-gauges787 and change the name in your 787 panel cfg to suit.

Then copy/paste the folder into the gauges folder and rename the 787 bit to whatever aircraft you are now using. This way when you change the radio height in the gauge it will stay for that aircraft.

Safe landings.

56 minutes ago, edetroit said:

Yes indeed. It will work with all aircraft.

If you intend to use the altitude callouts with other aircraft I would rename the rcp-gauges folder to rcb-gauges787 and change the name in your 787 panel cfg to suit.

Then copy/paste the folder into the gauges folder and rename the 787 bit to whatever aircraft you are now using. This way when you change the radio height in the gauge it will stay for that aircraft.

Safe landings.

I figured the gauge itself would work for other aircraft but just didn't know if the display would still show properly.

I was actually thinking of just copying and renaming the GPWS3_3_Default.xml file calling it whatever aircraft.  And then obviously adjusting the gauge name in the panel.cfg.  Wouldn't that work as well?

37 minutes ago, Carob said:

I figured the gauge itself would work for other aircraft but just didn't know if the display would still show properly.

I was actually thinking of just copying and renaming the GPWS3_3_Default.xml file calling it whatever aircraft.  And then obviously adjusting the gauge name in the panel.cfg.  Wouldn't that work as well?

Yes it would, but if you are using the altitude callouts you will have to change 10 (>L:GPWS_BasicRALT,number) each time as it will be different for different aircraft.