Is anyone here using a 4K screen with G-Sync to play P3D v4? I'm trying to decide between a 4K or a 1440p G-Sync screen. The 4K is limited to 60fps, and the 1440p goes up to 165fps but I don't know if that's an issue. I get a stagger on my screen when I pan around the cockpit in heavy add on airports and I'm led to believe that G-Sync will help with this. I have an i5 7600K running at 4.8ghz and a GTX 1080Ti, so plenty of horse power. I get good frame rates most of the time, I'm just trying to get that smooth feeling when panning the mouse around...

If anyone has any experience it'd be great to hear about it...

The big thing to keep in mind with G-Sync is that below 30fps it doesn't do anything. I have a 1440p Gsync monitor and totally love it.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I also have a G-Sync monitor (1440p - 27") and G-Sync indeed does do something below 30fps. In addition to reading the performance specs which explain how they handle below 30fps, there are videos showing tests to confirm G-Sync performance below 30fps. It is true that G-Sync will not actually sync with a refresh below 30 fps, G-Sync calculates a multiple of any fps below 30 and uses a multiple for refresh. Ex.: at 24 fps, G-sync uses a refresh of 48. In the case of really low fps like 15, G-Sync triples the refresh, and causes a redraw of 45. It's really pretty amazing, and now that I have a G-Sync monitor, I'd hate to be without it. Shame they're SOOOOOOOOO expensive.

• Upvote 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

That's a very good point. Although G-Sync can't Sync the refresh below 30Hz, how it handles GPU output below 30fps is another matter and is clever as somiller describes. However they don't all do the same thing so check for exact specifications before purchase.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

18 minutes ago, SteveW said:

That's a very good point. Although G-Sync can't Sync the refresh below 30Hz, how it handles GPU output below 30fps is another matter and is clever as somiller describes. However they don't all do the same thing so check for exact specifications before purchase.

Steve,

G-Sync does NOTHING to control GPU output, it simply forces a refresh to sync with it...in the case of low fps, by using a refresh multiple of fps...and you're absolutely right, make sure to check specs if you're looking to buy a Gsync monitor, as the earlier Gsync products will NOT do the fps multiple thing.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

7 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

While that may be true, below 30 fps is noticeably not as good as when it's above 30 as G-Sync then repeats frames to maintain the lower refresh rate of the monitor.

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-range/

Dave,

That's because below 30 fps there simply aren't enough frames to make fast motion smooth...but that has nothing to do with Gsync. Gsync is perfectly, exactly as effective at 2 fps as it is at 60 fps. The fact that very low fps appear as stutters had NOTHING to do with Gsync...as shown in the link you provided. These stutters are a game or system issue, which creates a symptom where Gsync has no data with which to sync.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

Totally agreed, the point I'm trying to impress to those that don't have G-Sync but wonder about it for P3d etc, is that if for what ever reason your PC isn't able to maintain a mostly 30+ fps in P3d that G-Sync isn't going to do you any favors. While G-Sync may still be working below 30 fps it's a night and day difference to when it's above 30.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Lots of topics about it in our Hardware Monitor Forum.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

45 minutes ago, somiller said:

Steve,

G-Sync does NOTHING to control GPU output, it simply forces a refresh to sync with it...in the case of low fps, by using a refresh multiple of fps...and you're absolutely right, make sure to check specs if you're looking to buy a Gsync monitor, as the earlier Gsync products will NOT do the fps multiple thing.

That's right, the output of the GPU isn't controlled, how well the way these monitors handle the changing frequency output is the point I was making.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Well I am sure G-sync is great but unless you are using your system for something other than Prepar3D I'd hazard a guess that you wont get better results than setting your display to 30hz and setting your frame rate to unlimited and tune your system to deliver at least 32 or 33 fps minimum. I think the cost of G-sync is to high for P3D. If I was in the market for a new display I would be looking for a 4K tv that supported 40hz and the obvious 30hz and 50hz too. That way as the sim and the hardware improves you can start to aim for 40 fps, then 50fps and ultimately 60fsp which I beat is 10 years away.

Dave,

Gsync is great, and VERY expensive, and I seriously considered buying a 4k monitor or tv and going the vsync route, but two considerations made me go with Gsync.

1.) I don't have the space to accommodate a 40" or bigger screen, so the tv route was out for me.

2.) I use my computer for regular desktop programs, and most of the opinions I came across indicate Windows 10 is terrible for type scaling, so I really didn't feel like fighting that battle.

In the case of someone who can accommodate a large tv, or someone who uses their system almost exclusively for simming, I couldn't agree more, that 4K at 24/30/40hz would be a compelling configuration. Were I in either situation, I would've gone 4k and vsync, because the 4k route also solves much of the anti-aliasing problem.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

I've heard g sync won't work with academic due to the water mark and it thinking that's the window.

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

1 hour ago, akabam said:

I've heard g sync won't work with academic due to the water mark and it thinking that's the window.

In the newer Nvidia drivers, Gsync can be set as "Full Screen Mode" or "windowed and full screen mode." I have no idea which Nvida driver was the first to offer windowed mode, but I'm on 385.41 in which it is included.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

My issue with G-Sync is also related to the 30FPS limit. The problem: I used to set up my FS as such as that 30FPS is the goal. Now, my P3Dv4 usually has FPS from 25 - 35, which is fine, but my G-Sync monitor then constantly switches between "real" G-Sync above 30FPS and doubled Hz below 30FPS and I can clearly recognize the switch. Not really nice, that's why I completely de-activated G-Sync for P3D via nVidia Inspector. Maybe I should once try with limiting my FPS to 29 and see if this helps?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS